More Of The New Gp2x!

sixela said:
craigix said:
You can currently just patch the F100 to use SDHC.
Not compatible with all SDHC cards tho...!

Yes, but there is a good chance that a card with a well known brand works without problems. And the GP2x is not the only machine in the world with had compatibility issues with SD and SDHC cards.

@Orkie

No offence here. But that is one advantage with open source software, or am I'm missing something?

And perhaps they used notaz great work instead...

Last edited by a moderator:
sbock said:
@Orkie

No offence here. But that is one advantage with open source software, or am I'm missing something?
Yes, you are missing the fact that I wasn't complaining - just pointing out that the F100 could indeed handle SDHC cards as well as this F200 will.

Don't think they ripped it off Open2x... I'm not sure if they did understand what Open2x really is when I tried to explain it at the IFA (as my unit has Open2x installed... they wanted a copy of my SD Card so that they can try it out... geeez...)

skeezix said:
Besides, a lot easier to add touchscreen support to the ST emu when its sitting in your grubby hands :p But depends how expensive .. I've not even looked at the price yet. *fear*
jeff

Sounds tasty, Mouse control with a touchscreen. No more switching the d-pad from joystick to mouse control mode. This may make me get one too. I just hope Gmenu2X works.

DaveC said:
Sounds tasty, Mouse control with a touchscreen. No more switching the d-pad from joystick to mouse control mode. This may make me get one too. I just hope Gmenu2X works.
Well, as can be seen on the Engadget Pictures, my SD Card with gmenu2x worked perfectly well on the F200 prototype :)

Last edited:
So I take it this updated version won't have any 3d capabilities? No disappointment if not, Just curious.

n8archer_XI said:
There are some non-SDHC 4GB cards though right? (or I could just buy a hard drive)...
Yes, there are, I believe. A hard drive means you'll have to get the cradle or the breakout board, and you'll need a power supply. 2GB is good enough for me, and even at good quality, I can easily store four two hour movies on it. Most things don't take up much space, so you should be fine.

DBH said:
Also quick question on this new F200 ... my mate pointed out it says it has a TV out port. Is this a new built in bit or do they still mean the EXT port with the cable??
Same as old one.

Repeat after me:

The only changes are the touchscreen, the DPad, a better audio amp and FW4.0.0 (which also runs fine on my First Edition).
Nothing else has changed. Period.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
DBH said:
Also quick question on this new F200 ... my mate pointed out it says it has a TV out port. Is this a new built in bit or do they still mean the EXT port with the cable??
Same as old one.

Repeat after me:

The only changes are the touchscreen, the DPad, a better audio amp and FW4.0.0 (which also runs fine on my First Edition).
Nothing else has changed. Period.

Thanks for the clarification.

This updated model is no big deal then.

1) touchscreen - pain to use (Nintendo DS)
2) D-pad - install your own if you want one
3) better audio amp - speakers are lousy anyway
4) FW4.0.0 - if it runs fine on old GP2x, no difference here

If it had had proper and fixed tv-out, and better quality tv-out (320x240 / 640x480 (PAL)); that could have been a good benefit... Hopefully ryleh will release his fix for this soon. I am nearing the end of my N64/GBA (Nintendo 64 Advance) project... ;)

bacteria said:
This updated model is no big deal then.
Well... depends...

1) touchscreen - pain to use (Nintendo DS)

Tasty playing ScummVM and Amiga / Atari ST emulation.
Or games like Sudoku, etc. WAY better with touchscreen (which is the reason I still play them on my PDA)

3) better audio amp - speakers are lousy anyway

Nope, speakers are actually okay. I tried putting in some mobile phone speakers (one of those mobile multimedia phones which REALLY do sound good) and it still sounded bad.
It's not the speakers, it's the Amp.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Nope, speakers are actually okay. I tried putting in some mobile phone speakers (one of those mobile multimedia phones which REALLY do sound good) and it still sounded bad.
It's not the speakers, it's the Amp.
So with the F200 the sound quality is far better :) ? :)

Back