More Pandora 2 crap (MicroSD Split)

When I do the comparison using froogle, I get:

SanDisk Extreme HD Video Flash memory card - 128 GB SDXC UHS-I Memory Card - around £100

SanDisk Ultra Flash memory card - 64 GB microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card - a little under £40

I don't know the difference between "Extreme HD Video" and "Ultra" (these were the first results for "sandisk 128 SDXC card"), but the above suggests that you could save £20 by using a pair of microSD cards.

This is exactly what I'm saying. Generally speaking you can get a deal. Plus with a lower pricepoint you can buy cards over time.

I'm fuming right now because Grench's own website show's what I mean. For instance...sigh...it begins

Lexar 64GB SDXC Memory Card Professional Class 10 UHS-I Oh it's only $119.97 but I exaggerated greatly.

SanDisk 128GB SDXC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 UHS-I only $133

SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 UHS-I but this is only $68

Lexar 64GB SDXC Memory Card Professional Class 10 UHS-I oh but this one is $65 after 23.36 instant savings

Kingston 64GB SDXC MEMORY CARD (CLASS 10) but this crap ass kingston is only $60

Oh wait I found a deal on a 128 gig!

PNY Technologies 128 GB SDXC Memory Card Professional X Series Class 10 UHS-I it's only $156.50!

Ooooooorrrrrrr! I buy 4 of these at $29.95 a pop! Or buy them even cheaper elsewhere.

Transcend 32GB microSDHC Memory Card Class 10

Now this is using the guys own site for pricing. He should have been able to look and understand what I meant. Further who says it's necessary to have class 10? Perhaps class 6 is just as fine. If someone wants to show a performance comparison or show some metrics or data that includes cost versus performance I'm all ears!

Last edited by a moderator:

SanDisk Extreme HD Video Flash memory card - 128 GB SDXC UHS-I Memory Card - around £100

SanDisk Ultra Flash memory card - 64 GB microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card - a little under £40

I don't know the difference between "Extreme HD Video" and "Ultra" (these were the first results for "sandisk 128 SDXC card"), but the above suggests that you could save £20 by using a pair of microSD cards.

Yes, but a pair of microSD card is not as convenient as 1 normal SD card - you have to remember which file is on which card, swapping the microSD cards is something you don't want to do too often, etc. And of course 2 64GB normal SD cards are also cheaper than 1 128GB SD card - you tend to get the best GB/$ ratio on the 2nd or 3rd highest capacities, not on the highest ones.

I think microSD is great for things like phones, where you don't want to swap the card a lot and space is really tight. For something like the Pandora, we have more space and swapping cards is something we want to do in an easy way - e.g. I constantly move my cards between my Pandora and my laptop (and sometimes my camera). The only benefit of microSD is that it is small, but that's in my opinion also a drawback (if you're using it as a removable storage medium, there is such a thing as "too small to handle comfortably"), and it has a major drawback: at a given technology level, they inherently have less capacity and/or less speed (that's the price you inherently pay for being smaller). Also note that if you really like microSD, you can still use them in a full SD slot using an adapter card (which you typically get with the microSD card for free); the other way around is of course not possible.

I don't see why there would be no space for 2 full SD slots on the Pandora 2 if this was possible on the Pandora 1. Is there something else that will be using more space? Or will the Pandora 2 be that much smaller?

This is exactly what I'm saying. Generally speaking you can get a deal. Plus with a lower pricepoint you can buy cards over time.

I'm fuming right now because Grench's own website show's what I mean. For instance...sigh...it begins

Lexar 64GB SDXC Memory Card Professional Class 10 UHS-I Oh it's only $119.97 but I exaggerated greatly.

Lexar 64GB SDXC Memory Card Professional Class 10 UHS-I oh but this one is $65 after 23.36 instant savings

Kingston 64GB SDXC MEMORY CARD (CLASS 10) but this crap ass kingston is only $60

PNY Technologies 128 GB SDXC Memory Card Professional X Series Class 10 UHS-I it's only $156.50!

Ooooooorrrrrrr! I buy 4 of these at $29.95 a pop! Or buy them even cheaper elsewhere.

Now this is using the guys own site for pricing. He should have been able to look and understand what I meant. Further who says it's necessary to have class 10? Perhaps class 6 is just as fine. If someone wants to show a performance comparison or show some metrics or data that includes cost versus performance I'm all ears!

A couple of things.

1. Your use of BIG BOLD FONTS is the internet equivalent of screaming like an idiot into a bullhorn loaded with feedback. This is the only post of yours that uses modified font size and density that I will even bother to read.

2. You're mixing examples used in my links. The bhphotovideo link was to a site where I knew I could find the fastest card possible. That was used in my post as a top end SD card example. The other link I used was to Amazon.com - where there is more selection and more competition. All of my SD vs microSD price examples were from there. This makes your entire post invalid - regardless of font size.

You're clearly more interested in 'fighting' than in logic and reason. Whatever trips your trigger.

If you're interested in having a civilized discussion, sure, we can talk.

The discussion arose because 2 microSD slots take up the space of 2 normal SD slots. There was talk of raid configurations (maybe up to 5 microSD's). I wanted input on 4 microSD's that would take up the same space of 2 SD's in terms of cost versus capacity. For instance 128gb of class 4 microSD's would cost $84, the same cost for 2 64gb class 4 SD's would be higher.

Your point about convenience is valid, however consider this. Each microSD could have a dedicated purpose. So I would fill slot one with music and just leave it in there. Slot 2 would have the stuff I swap in and out. Later when finances got better I'd buy a card for slot 3 and maybe fill that with videos and slot 4 with comics etc. This way as my finances grow so does my capacity and I'm not limited by 2 slots to max this capacity. Further it would allow me to mix and match things easier. I could have 2 different OS's on 2 different cards that I'd leave in that I could choose to boot from and I would still have 2 other locations for storage. 4 SD cards would allow you to do the same thing but it would take up 2x the space. Since a microSD card slot takes up half the space of an SD card slot, you have more options as to where you can place them. Some could be placed internally like those in cell phones.

There are sacrifices sure. But because of the small formfactor different economic options arise along with the ability to have dedicated purpose cards that for the most part you just leave in the unit. This isn't about really likeing microSD at all other than the ability to have more than 2 slots. So the suggestion that if one really likes microSD, one can still use them in a full SD slot using an adapter really goes both ways. As you can still use the adapter with your laptop (although it's problematic and sucks if you misplace it!)

And we still haven't fully flushed out the raid possibility aspect of this either. Plus you don't have to fill all the slots at once. As prices come down on larger capacity cards you have room to grow without having to copy the data from the card you would normally be replacing to the new card going in the same slot.

Also in certain cases the difference between class 2 and class 10 are negligible! As of yet I don't know how it will pan out for the P2.

Here the microSD form factor comes into play again as people have increased the internal storage of their Dell Streak 5" tablet to 62gb!

With all that said I'm interested to hear your opinion. It's why I brought it up in the first place after all.

Edit: This post is a response to

_wb_

A couple of things.

1. Your use of BIG BOLD FONTS is the internet equivalent of screaming like an idiot into a bullhorn loaded with feedback. This is the only post of yours that uses modified font size and density that I will even bother to read.

2. You're mixing examples used in my links. The bhphotovideo link was to a site where I knew I could find the fastest card possible. That was used in my post as a top end SD card example. The other link I used was to Amazon.com - where there is more selection and more competition. All of my SD vs microSD price examples were from there. This makes your entire post invalid - regardless of font size.

You're clearly more interested in 'fighting' than in logic and reason. Whatever trips your trigger.

If you're interested in having a civilized discussion, sure, we can talk.

Excuse me but the very first thing you did was cast doubt on my motives via wild accusations of exagerating to make a point. It could be argued that you claim that I lied to make a point and your use of "exageration" was a euphemism for lie.

I had to bold items that you clearly missed because you continued to make claims off of misunderstandings you generated in yourself by not reading clearly what was posted and by not following the links themselves. My post was entirely valid because it compared your high end card pricing versus high end microSD card priceing. This should have been unnecessary since I had already compared class 10 SD cards and class 10 microSD cards.

As far as bolding, BEHOLD I just bolded something with another person that I'm having a civil discussion with(and certainly not meant as an offense). It's kinda my thing. As for you you got size 24 instead of 18 because you can't seem to see things(because you acted like a jerk to me for no reason from the very beginning).

If you want to have a civilized discussion, the first thing a civilized person would do is admit that they were wrong. They might say something like "I missed the 2 in front of the 64gb and so it made me think you were saying a 64gb card cost $200-$400 dollars. I see now that I was mistaken and I apologize for saying you grossly exagerrated the prices of SD cards when it was in fact my own understanding that was in error. Further I followed your links and you are correct, generally speaking 32gb microSD cards of the same class ARE cheaper than 64gb enough that you could basically buy 2 microSD cards for the price of 1 SD. Additionally I see that you weren't merely talking about no name brand class 2 microSD cards but was in fact talking about class FOUR namebrand cards. I would have sent this to you in a PM but I thought I should be open about my error. Good day to you."

Yeah. Maybe something like that.

I had to bold items that you clearly missed

This is not a good approach. When I see HUGE BOLD UNDERLINED writing, my first instinct is not to read it.

However, I would like to see some solid evidence that full-size SDXC gives you better GB/£

Here's what Sandisk's entire SD and microSD lineup costs. I used Sandisk's own price except where they didn't offer the card, in which case I picked the first on the list that both offered it. And noted which store it is. I also marked where the price was listed as a sale price (meaning that it may be temporary/promotional). Speed is the read speed that Sandisk claims on the front page. It's possible write speed is different, but I think most of us will agree that read speed is much more important on a device like Pandora.

Code:
       	 SD        microSD

128GB 45MB/s    399.99        n/a

64GB 95MB/s    299.99        n/a

64GB 45MB/s    199.99        n/a

64GB 30MB/s    259.99        184.99

64GB 20MB/s    179.99        n/a

32GB 95MB/s    179.99        n/a

32GB 45MB/s    149.99        n/a

32GB 30MB/s    135.99        104.99

32GB 20MB/s    99.99        n/a

32GB class 4    79.99        79.99

16GB 95MB/s    99.99         99.99

16GB 45MB/s    49.99 (sale)    n/a

16GB 30MB/s    85.99        64.99

16GB 20MB/s    59.99        n/a

16GB class 4    34.99        49.99

8GB 95MB/s    59.99        59.99

8GB 30MB/s    17.99        12.99            Radio Shack

8GB 20MB/s    49.99        n/a

8GB class 4    34.99        29.99

4GB 30MB/s    27.99        22.99

4GB 15MB/s    22.99        n/a

4GB class 4    5.95        4.95            Adorama

2GB class 4    9.99        n/a

These numbers come from the following pages:

http://www.sandisk.c...emory-cards/sd/

http://www.sandisk.c...-cards/microsd/

I don't see how anybody could conclude from this information that in a like for like comparison SD is always cheaper than microSD. If Sandisk's prices are too inflated someone else can do the work of getting them from some other place, but if you're going to do this you MUST use the same vendor for both SD and microSD.

That price for 64GB 30MB/s SD is a bit strange though: it's quite a lot more expensive than 64GB 45MB/s SD, which is faster! Are we missing something here? (maybe write speed)

Generally speaking, the conclusion I get from that overview (it's a nice overview btw, this is really how we should compare things!) is the following:

for really small cards (4GB, 8GB), microSD is actually cheaper. At 16 GB, SD is a bit cheaper, at 32 GB and 64GB it's about the same except you cannot get the really fast ones in microSD, and in 128GB there is no microSD at all.

So no, SD is not always cheaper than microSD, but it is for the sizes that matter to me - I'm not really interested in 4GB cards. But it's good to know.

It would be nice to have such an overview for other brands as well - it's good to base our reasoning on the actual numbers, not some kind of gut feeling.

That price for 64GB 30MB/s SD is a bit strange though: it's quite a lot more expensive than 64GB 45MB/s SD, which is faster! Are we missing something here? (maybe write speed)

Happens all the time; old product doesn't drop in price because no one's buying it and the vendor doesn't feel like it. Go look at prices for old harddrives, RAM, etc.

Generally speaking, the conclusion I get from that overview (it's a nice overview btw, this is really how we should compare things!) is the following:
for really small cards (4GB, 8GB), microSD is actually cheaper. At 16 GB, SD is a bit cheaper, at 32 GB and 64GB it's about the same except you cannot get the really fast ones in microSD, and in 128GB there is no microSD at all.

So no, SD is not always cheaper than microSD, but it is for the sizes that matter to me - I'm not really interested in 4GB cards. But it's good to know.

Sorry but offering a configuration that isn't available does NOT qualify for "offering it for less." The general trend is clearly this: when both are available Sandisk is offering Sandisk microSD for the same or less as SD cards. For two non-Sandisk prices the same is also true. Sandisk is probably charging a lot more than anyone else, but this doesn't strictly detract from the point. You can't even make the point that they're offering the 128GB version for less than the cost of two equivalent 64GB ones, because they aren't.

It would be nice to have such an overview for other brands as well - it's good to base our reasoning on the actual numbers, not some kind of gut feeling.

I started the ball rolling here and did a much more thorough (and correct) comparison than anyone else so far - I strongly encourage you to follow this up with more data. I'm too tired right now, and I haven't even had to deal with the eventual Grenching of my post.

I started the ball rolling here and did a much more thorough (and correct) comparison than anyone else so far - I strongly encourage you to follow this up with more data. I'm too tired right now, and I haven't even had to deal with the eventual Grenching of my post.

Nicely done. And, of course, you knew this was coming. There is a flaw.

What you published was the uncorrected 'at release date' manufacturer's suggested retail prices. Those never go down.

The SD cards were generally released 1 year before their microSD equivalent. What would be more valid is to look up all of those cards on a national seller's site (Amazon or similar) to see what they really go for now.

The current price on Amazon for the 64GB 30MB per second SD card is $54.10 and not $259.99.

The current price on Amazon for the 64GB 30MB per second microSD card is $59.64.

Given that it's 1+ year old tech, not surprising.

Next?

Give a complete listing of every card from a current vendor, microSD vs SD, and we'll talk. One example doesn't cut it. One example from Amazon is especially poor if Amazon themselves are not the ones selling the card. Get off your lazy ass and do some actual work. I'll redo mine for the Sandisk cards using common vendors when I'm less tired. Oh and by the way, your argument doesn't apply for any of the cards that are NOT 1+ year old tech, which applies to a bunch of them.

And I find your claim that Sandisk's prices never go down to be highly incredulous, am I supposed to believe that the high end keeps going up and up and the low end was always a fraction of what the high end is now? Give me a break. SOME of them don't go down AS MUCH because demand wavers, but for the others I assume Sandisk actually is interested in selling them.

Give a complete listing of every card from a current vendor, microSD vs SD, and we'll talk. One example doesn't cut it. One example from Amazon is especially poor if Amazon themselves are not the ones selling the card. Get off your lazy ass and do some actual work. I'll redo mine for the Sandisk cards using common vendors when I'm less tired. Oh and by the way, your argument doesn't apply for any of the cards that are NOT 1+ year old tech, which applies to a bunch of them.

And I find your claim that Sandisk's prices never go down to be highly incredulous, am I supposed to believe that the high end keeps going up and up and the low end was always a fraction of what the high end is now? Give me a break. SOME of them don't go down AS MUCH because demand wavers, but for the others I assume Sandisk actually is interested in selling them.

You're confusing MSRP and retail. MSRP is generally set once at a product's launch. Retail is generally less - even at launch. What Sandisk charges retailers may go down competitively with the market, but they're not likely to go back and restate that initial MSRP regardless. They'll just let the retailers claim that the item is marked down 70% off or the like.

The initial MSRP for the SD card is generally around 18 months OLDER than the the initial MSRP for the microSD card of equal class/size. This is because it takes that long for the next step in density to allow another 'doubling' of capacity which allows for the next step up/doubling in SD to be released at the same time. It isn't that complicated.

Nice list, but entirely wrong compared to reality and unsuited for your intended purpose.

I'm not confusing anything, I directly addressed the comment you made here:

What you published was the uncorrected 'at release date' manufacturer's suggested retail prices. Those never go down.

You said they never go down. Since they must have gone down at some point, unless you think those 2GB cards released at $9.99, you've adjusted it to "hasn't gone down in 18 months." So you're moving the goal posts, but can you actually qualify that statement either? Do you think that stores get exactly one shipment of this product and gradually reduce the price to reduce inventory? Do you not think the more likely scenario is that they tend to continually get new shipments of the product from the manufacturer, where the cost of the product and most likely the MSRP as well goes down in time?

But forget it, I'll just repeat what I said - stop criticizing my list, get off your lazy ass, and come up with another list yourself, if you think mine is so useless. Using a large asortment of actual prices where the microSD and SD come from the same outlet. I already gave two examples from vendors that aren't Sandisk, so even if you throw my entire list out I've picked two, and I can guarantee mine weren't cherry picked.. how can I say the same for yours? Hell, you could even use Sandisk's distributor links, you just have to pick a common one for every entry. I went through the trouble of finding which ones are commonly available. This isn't hard. Unfortunately for you I think you'll find that the price Sandisk sells them at in retail and the price they sell them at in wholesale is proportional.

I had to bold items that you clearly missed

This is not a good approach. When I see HUGE BOLD UNDERLINED writing, my first instinct is not to read it.

However, I would like to see some solid evidence that full-size SDXC gives you better GB/£

Actually I was speaking to someone else and if you missed it consider it a good thing..

[Edit: First! Let me also thank you exophase for getting the ball rolling. I looked over the website and it took some effort collating the data for us. It is appreciated!]

I'm not sure that Sandisk pricing actually reflects the market. I'm sure I can find an extreme pro class 10 16gb SD card for far less than $100. Like here or here for example with minimal googling....
tFrvH.jpg

This is why suggested retail prices can be problematic.

The manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP), list price or recommended retail price (RRP) of a product is the price which the manufacturer recommends that the retailer sell the product. The intention was to help to standardise prices among locations. While some stores always sell at, or below, the suggested retail price, others do so only when items are on sale or closeout/clearance.

The term is also backronymed to monroney suggested retail price, after the Monroney sticker which required that the MSRP of new cars be displayed.[citation needed]

Suggested pricing methods may conflict with competition theory, as it allows prices to be set higher than would otherwise be the case, potentially negatively impacting consumers. However, resale price maintenance goes further than this and is illegal in many regions.

Much of the time, stores charge less than the suggested retail price[citation needed], depending upon the actual wholesale cost of each item, usually purchased in bulk from the manufacturer, or in smaller quantities through a distributor.

Suggested prices can also be manipulated to be unreasonably high, allowing retailers to use deceptive advertising by showing the excessive price and then their actual selling price, implying to customers that they are getting a bargain. Game shows have long made use of suggested retail prices both as a game element, in which the contestant must determine the retail price of an item, or in valuing their prizes.

Additionally, the use of MSRP and SRP have been confused. In certain supply chains, where a manufacturer sells to a wholesale distributor, and the distributor in turn sells to a reseller, the use of SRP is used to denote suggested reseller price. In that case MSRP is used to convey manufacturer suggested retail price.

As for the formfactor preference of SD versus microSD here is a tablet comparison with which to derive your own conclusion. It's probably about what you expected.

exophase]It's possible write speed is different' date=' but I think most of us will agree that read speed is much more important on a device like Pandora.[/quote said:
I would tend to agree. Do you have any data or speculation that shows what the max or optimal read speed could or would be? I ask because these people found out that the difference in read/write speed was negligible between class 2 and class 10 cards. Also it appears you have a way with numbers and your input is valued.

2nd Edit: Actually regardless of aftermarket pricing the fact remains that what you say here

The general trend is clearly this: when both are available Sandisk is offering Sandisk microSD for the same or less as SD cards. For two non-Sandisk prices the same is also true. Sandisk is probably charging a lot more than anyone else, but this doesn't strictly detract from the point. You can't even make the point that they're offering the 128GB version for less than the cost of two equivalent 64GB ones, because they aren't.
remains true, and I apologize if I detracted from that point.

Here. I took back one I listed before because while they were both rated as 30 MB/s read, one was "Ultra" while the other was "Ultra Extreme." On the other hand, I'm also not doing one like for like where they're both "Ultra" but one is 30MB/s and the other is 15MB/s. The former is probably more fair than the latter. This is from Sandisk's lists, where the same vendor is both offering the card. Note that in some cases Sandisk links to the wrong product, which may have messed me up before.

Code:
           	 SD                microSD

64GB 30MB/s        $39.99                $39.99        Radio Shack

32GB 30MB/s        $23.99 (sale from $69.99)    $69.99        Staples

32GB class 4        $69.99                $79.99        Staples

16GB 95MB/s        $74.99                $99.99        Best Buy

16GB 30MB/s        $15.99 (sale from $39.99)    $39.99        Staples

16GB class 4        $49.99                $49.99        Staples

$9.95                $9.95        Adorama

8GB 95MB/s        $45.98                $59.99        Best Buy			    

8GB 30MB/s        $12.95                $12.95        Adorama

$13.50                $12.95        B&H

$24.99                $24.99        Best Buy

8GB class 4        $6.95                $6.95        Adorama			    

4GB class 4        $5.95                $4.95        Adorama

$19.99                $19.99        Staples

2GB class 4        $9.99                $9.34        Best Buy

$6.99                $9.99        Radio Shack

$6.99                $5.99        CDW

Tell me if I made any errors.

Do you have any data or speculation that shows what the max or optimal read speed could or would be? I ask because these people found out that the difference in read/write speed was negligible between class 2 and class 10 cards. Also it appears you have a way with numbers and your input is valued.

ROFLMAO. Did you read the study you're citing? They did the whole test in what are now 3 year old phones. The results are clearly limited by the hardware they're sticking the cards into.

Do you notice a difference between those speeds listed and these?

http://pandorawiki.org/SD_compatibility_list

Interestingly enough, even in the case of the SD compatibility list, what you're seeing is a bit of a mixed bag. Several people put in the 'rated listing' according to the manufacturer. Several of us ran the actual test on our Pandora with our card. The net is that the hardware interface maxes out around 17MB/sec read and 12MB/sec write. So, ALL modern (released within last 6 months) cards are likely to be capable of a higher transfer rate than the existing Pandora can handle.

This is the Pandora 2 forum. We're discussing hardware for a Pandora 2. I want to see it designed so it's interface is able to handle the fastest cards we'll be able to find for the next 2 years+. Right now that is 90MB/sec read and 45MB/sec write. Those are around 6 months old so I'd expect it to be something in the range of 360MB/sec read and 180MB/sec write inside of 3 years. Perfect for that quadHD 3D video recorder that new fathers will be pining after in ~2016.

As stated several times the microSD interface/pinout is capable of the same speeds as the SD equivalent. Where it falls out though is on the new additional row of pins that they're talking about for the next SD card version - I'm not sure if that new standard will be out in time for the P2. Regardless, capacity & speed & cost combined all still fall to the favor of full sized SD media. Argue till you turn blue if you want - that isn't going to change it.

Also are the sale items refurbished? I noticed sandisk had an 8 gig I think on sale for $20 iirc, down from $100 because it was a refurb. You know for later when/if you get around to it.

If Pandora 2 doesn't support > 90MB/s are you still going to buy it? If it supports the fastest available when it's released (optimistically speaking, 1-1.5 years from now), but not 3 years from now, will you let us all know how unhappy you are about it?

Also are the sale items refurbished? I noticed sandisk had an 8 gig I think on sale for $20 iirc, down from $100 because it was a refurb. You know for later when/if you get around to it.

I don't think so, they're a sale price. Where a store takes less profit or even a loss in order to get people to shop at their store more. They're temporary and only apply to a few items.

I listed the prices from the same outlets because that's the fairest comparison. It stands to reason that I didn't necessarily get the cheapest prices.

Do you have any data or speculation that shows what the max or optimal read speed could or would be? I ask because these people found out that the difference in read/write speed was negligible between class 2 and class 10 cards. Also it appears you have a way with numbers and your input is valued.

ROFLMAO. Did you read the study you're citing? They did the whole test in what are now 3 year old phones. The results are clearly limited by the hardware they're sticking the cards into.

Do you notice a difference between those speeds listed and these?

http://pandorawiki.o...patibility_list

Interestingly enough, even in the case of the SD compatibility list, what you're seeing is a bit of a mixed bag. Several people put in the 'rated listing' according to the manufacturer. Several of us ran the actual test on our Pandora with our card. The net is that the hardware interface maxes out around 17MB/sec read and 12MB/sec write. So, ALL modern (released within last 6 months) cards are likely to be capable of a higher transfer rate than the existing Pandora can handle.

This is the Pandora 2 forum. We're discussing hardware for a Pandora 2. I want to see it designed so it's interface is able to handle the fastest cards we'll be able to find for the next 2 years+. Right now that is 90MB/sec read and 45MB/sec write. Those are around 6 months old so I'd expect it to be something in the range of 360MB/sec read and 180MB/sec write inside of 3 years. Perfect for that quadHD 3D video recorder that new fathers will be pining after in ~2016.

As stated several times the microSD interface/pinout is capable of the same speeds as the SD equivalent. Where it falls out though is on the new additional row of pins that they're talking about for the next SD card version - I'm not sure if that new standard will be out in time for the P2. Regardless, capacity & speed & cost combined all still fall to the favor of full sized SD media. Argue till you turn blue if you want - that isn't going to change it.

Funny because the only thing said that remotely relates to speed comparison was said by you....and had nothing to do with interface/pinout. Unless you mean in an unrelated thread elsewhere on the internet.

If you look at any given level of technology (release dates approximate), SD media will always be double the capacity and double the speed of the largest and fastest microSD card available at the time. On the bottom end of the scale using old/deprecated cards you can get close in price GB/GB, but the SD card is always going to be faster and twice the capacity per card for roughly the same price per GB.

Now if you could clamp down on your douche nozzle and point me to where this "As stated several times the microSD interface/pinout is capable of the same speeds as the SD equivalent" could be found I'd be obliged not to comment on your evident predilection for swinging from my nads.

Edit: Actually I need to highlight something

Regardless, capacity & speed & cost combined all still fall to the favor of full sized SD media. Argue till you turn blue if you want - that isn't going to change it.

This just illustrates fully how far the discussion went over your head. I even said that the same arguement works if you had 4 SD slots. WOOSH!

If there were an option for 4 SD slots then my argument would be 4 lower capacity SD slots cost less than two large or even a single large capacity card.

Back