More spam: Polling for ports

Have you created or ported 1 application or game for Pandora?

• Yes and I am not going to go through recompiling a single one of them for a future Pandora because..

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and I will be royally pissed if I have to recompile a single one of the for a future Pandora bec

• Yes and I will grudgingly recompile (some of) those for a future Pandora because... (please elaborat

• Total voters

kuru

Laptop und Trachtenjanker
Oh well. I may be annoying the last one of you good looking, smart and lovable people out there on the boards, but this is an interesting questionnaire to me. Suggestions for better questions - let them come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well one of my "ports" is just a java program.. but I still have more than 4 technically.

This poll doesn't have all the options. Not all the applications will be a simple recompile. Not to mention, there are no options for people who have yet to port anything but are planning to.

-God Ginrai

This poll doesn't have all the options. Not all the applications will be a simple recompile. Not to mention, there are no options for people who have yet to port anything but are planning to.

-God Ginrai
Everybody is left the option to elaborate why they're not going to recompile, targeting at your "not simple" remark.

I decidedly didn't ask for plans of ports because first plans are just that and second I have ED's voice echoing in my head talking about how he wants the existing repo to be ready-to-use on a Pandora 2. Which admittedly is defeating my question about planned recompilation efforts, but here I am looking for a somewhat longer-term compromise.

Edit: Have you coded/ported something for Pandora? Please excuse my lazyness to do a thorough search, it's too late atm.

Oh no...  the sky is falling!  More fear mongering.  More false-leading information.  Really?  3 of the 4 non-null options in your survey are negatively worded?

I wonder if anyone will bother to list up their ports that were re-compiled from already existing source code from an X86 Linux repository.

Sheesh - all of this because of the mere consideration of an alternate SoC.  Amazing.

Nobody has declared which SoC will get used.  There have been several put forward for -honest- consideration.  Several have already flunked for various reasons (availability, cost, heat, Linux support, open/closed drivers, etc...)

Why is yet another thread necessary?

Oh no...  the sky is falling!  More fear mongering.  More false-leading information.  Really?  3 of the 4 non-null options in your survey are negatively worded?

I wonder if anyone will bother to list up their ports that were re-compiled from already existing source code from an X86 Linux repository.

Sheesh - all of this because of the mere consideration of an alternate SoC.  Amazing.

Nobody has declared which SoC will get used.  There have been several put forward for -honest- consideration.  Several have already flunked for various reasons (availability, cost, heat, Linux support, open/closed drivers, etc...)

Why is yet another thread necessary?
Aw geez, tell me how to reword them to suit your taste and I will do so.

Also, it's not necessary, but interesting. To me. As I already mentioned above. Call me an egoist if you like.

Haven't voted since there is no suitable choice.

I won't recompile (my single port) until I buy a P2. Whether and when I buy a P2 depends on the offering (if it is intel chances are high that I won't).

^ Good answer.

Apart from that, the last word is with ED since he has to pull off the whole thing. And we all know his opinion. So *please* look at this poll as hypothetical as it is. Don't forget, this is the "spam" section. So if you hate spam, please kindly stay away. Kthx.

Edit: Very well, I'm done "defending" this poll. Take it as it is or leave it, but you're very welcome to explain yourself if the answers don't apply to you at all.

Haven't voted since there is no suitable choice.

I won't recompile (my single port) until I buy a P2. Whether and when I buy a P2 depends on the offering (if it is intel chances are high that I won't).
Sorry if I don't have a list of who ported what and when.  What was your port of?

If the same SoC (Z3770) were made by Fred inc. instead of Intel, then would you be interested?

Have you even looked at the data sheets and benchmarks that are coming out for the Z3770 before making that declaration - or is it, like most of this rhetoric, being declared in a vacuum?

Edit: Have you coded/ported something for Pandora? Please excuse my lazyness to do a thorough search, it's too late atm.
 No. Planned to at one point, then got really busy with life. I'm still entertaining the thought of doing so, however that isn't the reason why I posted. I just saw that there were people who wouldn't be covered by the poll that you may want to gather information from.

Must every time someone asks a question guaging concerns about a switch to x86 architecture you equate it to fear mongering? There has been a lot of concern among users in this forum over the switch, so it does not seem odd that kuru would give options for those who are concerned to express their thoughts. As for those who would like it, there isn't much options he can give aside from "Yes, I would love to".

-God Ginrai

I would gladly recompile stuff for a new device, but I have no clue if I will be able to afford it when it comes out.

If so I will do what I can.

I've no problem with the tech, only with the company's business practices over the last decades. And even that isn't totally strict, but it does influence my purchase decisions enough to sometimes pay more for inferior products just to avoid intel. As stated elsewhere, I can live with x86, but wouldn't want to loose notaz. Especially not just because of (in the long run irrelevant) performance gains that I personally couldn't care less about.

The only one with empty rhetoric around here is you.

And since you are obviously lazy, too: my port is totally irrelevant to the future of the Pandora. It is PySolFC. The work has mostly been in getting tkinter running with a newer Tcl/Tk version. This probably isn't needed at all with an updated OS.

It seems there's some confusion on how to answer this poll. My guess was to pick "Does not apply" to all except for one.

I'm more likely to help build a reusable framework (a buildbot or compatibility layer) than manually recompile and repackage all my ports.

That said, I still have my build environments set up for all my pnds.

I lazy ported jzintv, Dink Smallwood, and Navit, and I'd gladly do them all again if need be. They'd almost certainly need to have at least some changes done to them (for controls or screen) regardless of the SoC chosen, but since they're completely CPU agnostic those changes are identical regardless of whether you select x86 or ARM.

What we need is a thread gauging the value people have in backwards/cross compatibility (and the varying levels therein). That's what this is really getting at. Being ARM is no guarantee that it'll run the same PNDs, or run them ideally.

Personally, I think we need to set up a poll to figure out which polls to set up. But maybe that is just me.

Back