Most Epic Battle

Boy you kids....We have to go back to 84-ish to get the best epic RPG ending:

Questron!

The final battle in the evil wizard's fortress with the timer on the 'bomb' ticking down, and the pulsing alarm cycling into higher and higher pitches and each time it's going to change you think 'this is the end, the SID can't make tones to go any higher, ima die after all this' as you fight through another huge wave of guards between you and the boss....and then it goes higher yet and your heart beats faster.....the catharsis as you survive the evil wizards final assault and take the book of magic, the final eruption of magic....

And then finally the ending procession into the castle with all the king's guards trooping down to stand in formation and give you an honor salute (complete with animated trumpeters and a version of the themesong) while the king Knights you and spends another 10 mins praising your valor and reviewing all your achievements... You really felt like you had accomplished somthing huge.

This on a Commodore 64 and 2 170kb floppys.

That was the definition of epic on such a humble system.

I tell you what, I had a LAN with some friends and we were playing Battle for Middle Earth w/o and patches. MY friend is Gondor and all he really had was a level 10 Gandalf. I was Rohan with all the Rohan riders that I could buy, due to the unit limit, and they were all fully upgraded. I decide to end the game in a charge oh his Gandalf, and soon I had him surrounded. BOOM! Wizard Blast, I think it is called, My riders fly everywhere and guess what!?!?!?!?!?! Yeah rtheir all dead! They made gandalf way too powerful at level 10. I refused to play that Game on the LAN again :lol:

Nah best battle has to be against akuma in the Amiga conversion of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. It rocked, he was so damn hard that I had cramp and blisters for almost 2 weeks :blink: . Or maybe the last level of jedi academy if you opted for the dark side, being a sith lord was like a wet dream cum true lol

demonblaze posted on Dec 16 2005 at 06:55 PM said:
Nah best battle has to be against akuma in the Amiga conversion of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. It rocked, he was so damn hard that I had cramp and blisters for almost 2 weeks :blink: . Or maybe the last level of jedi academy if you opted for the dark side, being a sith lord was like a wet dream cum true lol

You know, I have to replay that game again.... I was just like, "Okay, do what you're told to..." By far the best game in that whole string of FPSs from Licasarts is either Dark Forces or the original Jedi Knight. what I loved about Jedi Knight is that you have the feeling that you're not really supposed to be there (sides of buildings, factories, air ducts), something I find missing from the newer Jedi Knight games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rico posted on Dec 11 2005 at 08:53 AM said:
Rayek posted on Dec 11 2005 at 12:39 PM said:
I heard Gun got bad reviews. I was looking forward to it... It was being paraded as an old western San Andreas, as far as the scope of it is. But I let some douches on the internet play it for me so I didn't have to judge it myself. [/sarcasm]
Gun is probably the most fun third-person-shooter since Freedom Fighters. The whole GTA thing only really extends to being able to do tons of optional side missions in a pretty big world, which is indeed fun. You can trample people with your horse, headshot them, slice their limbs off with swords, go into slow motion and blast your pistols without reloading, shotgun them, fire flaming arrows at them ten times a second, grab them and slit their throat... it's awesome. Just don't take it too seriously!

The main complaint was shortness... I disagree. The side missions keep the game going into 12 hours or so, especially if you stop to collect all the extra power-ups. And I'll probably replay it as soon as I complete it.

12 hours wasn't long enough for me. I borrowed it from a friend of mine on my day off and wrapped it in one marathon gaming session. Great game, though. It was a much more authentic "western" experience than Red Dead Revolver, which I still haven't finished because it was too much of the same thing.

Seriously, I thought Gun was a pretty good game, if you're on the fence about it though you may want to rent it first.

As far as most epic battle in a video game, I'd have to go with (Light Side) Revan vs. Darth Malak in the first KOTOR game. It wasn't terribly long if you knew what you were doing, but you got the feeling that the fate of the galaxy depended on that battle either with the freedom of the Republic or slavery under the Sith. In comparison, the second one was a pretty big letdown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of the battles in Call of Duty or Call of Duty 2. Also the battles with the bugs from Starship Troopers Game were pretty awesome, hundreds of bugs just coming after you.

I'm going to follow that up with CoD's Pavlov House defense mission (it's insane!) and CoD 2's Hill 400 (?) defense.

For the latter, you're darting from trench to trench taking out mortar teams with a sniper rifle, gunning down hordes of incoming troops, dodging rockets, blowing up tanks with explosives, and generally just keeping yourself alive. Then the tanks start getting too numerous to deal with and the Jerries have suddenly moved forward and encircled you. I'll never forget when I saw the Germans coming out of the smoke, so me and my team turned around to seek cover only to find more Germans coming from the other side! I barely survived that mission.

Back