Motion Sickness While Playing Fps's?

:blink: !!!!

I've heard this story many times for others! I'm not alone, I swear!

This is actually a known problem for some people. I remember a friend of mine actually throwing up after playing the original Doom solidly for two hours.

Apparently we have little granules in our inner ear that detect motion, and this motion usually correlates with the visual motion our eyes see. For some people if the two do not match up, then they get motion sickness. This also explains motion sickness in cars!
*Sigh* it's hairs and fluid. Why are people so mis-informed?
Its a little bit like a spirit level innit?

Also, I think I have got motion sickness from games before, though not often. I do however get motion sickness from reading and playing games in cars, but not from watching movies, which is what I tend to do. My motion sickness has goitten better recently though, so I can play games for about an hour or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, I think I have got motion sickness from games before, though not often. I do however get motion sickness from reading and playing games in cars, but not from watching movies, which is what I tend to do. My motion sickness has goitten better recently though, so I can play games for about an hour or so.
I wonder if it is possible that with age that your mind gets used to the information discrepancy between visual and inner ear input, making it less susceptible to motion sickness? I know I regularly got travel sickness in cars when I was a girl, but now it doesn't bother me at all!

I'm sure Sam will be able to tell us if this is true, and it seems logical to me that the brain writes new pathways to compensate etc. It's either that with me or I am now permanently dizzy :D.

i can play quake while on a road trip for a few hours and im fine, i also did used to play CS for days (literally) and nothin... then again ive never suffered from motion sickness on roller coasters (and other theme park rides) or playing any games... i guess im just lucky....

I can't play any 3D games without getting sick. I used to be a 'gamer' until everything turned 3D. I loved lots of different genres on different platforms (PC, handhelds, consoles) but I can't enjoy any games in 3D :-(. I don't get sick in cars or on boats but I do get motionsick watching 3D movies on big screens. My wife has the exact same problem.

Now I'm just a pathetic retrogamer, hoping and waiting for new games in two dimensions. I do enjoy my DS Lite and I have preordered the Wii: my first console (except for handhelds) since the SNES.

This is actually a known problem for some people. I remember a friend of mine actually throwing up after playing the original Doom solidly for two hours.

Apparently we have little granules in our inner ear that detect motion, and this motion usually correlates with the visual motion our eyes see. For some people if the two do not match up, then they get motion sickness. This also explains motion sickness in cars!

Well, those granules are only present in marine animals actually, so she was probably just confusing them with the organs present in our cochlea. Nevertheless, you don't have to be so condescending in your response. Think happy kittens and bunnies when you are frustrated! Happy happy joy joy.

Well, those granules are only present in marine animals actually, so he was probably just confusing them with the organs present in our cochlea. Nevertheless, you don't have to be so condescending in your response. Think happy kittens and bunnies when you are frustrated! Happy happy joy joy.

I wonder if it is possible that with age that your mind gets used to the information discrepancy between visual and inner ear input, making it less susceptible to motion sickness? I know I regularly got travel sickness in cars when I was a girl, but now it doesn't bother me at all!

I'm sure Sam will be able to tell us if this is true, and it seems logical to me that the brain writes new pathways to compensate etc. It's either that with me or I am now permanently dizzy :D.

The brain does not always write permanent pathways. Yes, it can store data, but it is in essence a very complicated microprocessor, how it work? Physically, neurotransmitter chemicals trigger receptors. How it does what it does and computes, Nobody is exactly sure. But its theorised that every brain cell adds several trillion possible return values. However, I cannot be fucked with explaining brain waves at all, as I am lazy. Your brain can compensate to the movement if it can predict it, thats why when driving people get less travel sick, you can expect the movement before it happens, but if you arent in control, prediction becomes difficult, so, no. Also your ears have a big say in it.

Remember, Ergo cogitio sum, I think, therefore I am. Your senses can report false information, IE, tinnitus, a ringing sound that isnt there. There are wuite a few cases of permanent vertigo aswell.

I don't get motion sickness from anything. Games are no different. Is this really common? Hmmm...

I've never heard of anyone with this before.

Well, those granules are only present in marine animals actually, so he was probably just confusing them with the organs present in our cochlea. Nevertheless, you don't have to be so condescending in your response. Think happy kittens and bunnies when you are frustrated! Happy happy joy joy.

Oops... Sorry! Forgot the s in front of the "he".

Back