Ommpc2X Version 0.4.2

Coder_TimT said:
I don't store that flag anywhere, so Im guessing mpd is restarting the db update when it gets killed before finishing. I'll have to research that a little to be 100% certain. 2000 songs is going to take a bit... I ran some benchmarks on the gp2x at one point but don't remember the exact numbers...probably need to do that again...

Actually, after re-reading where you say the wiz menu was running slowly, I would bet the client crashed, but mpd actually continued to run in the background. So when you started ommpc back it just reconnected to the already running mpd...

Now as for how long. I wouldn't expect much over 5-6 minutes to add 2000 songs. I timed my f200 and it took 35 seconds for 250 songs...so that scales up to 6 minutes for 2000.

Yep, I came back a few minutes later and the "Updating Database" display had gone away. There were no songs in the database after that, though, so I'm unable to filter by tags such as artist, album, etc. I was able to create a playlist of all my songs by using some combination of Music Library -> Filesystem and Playlists -> Add All Songs (I think). I was also able to export my playlists from MediaMonkey and use them with a little bit of Notepad++ massaging. Once I did that I was really enjoying Ommpc ... good stuff. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just installed version 0.4.3 ... was able to update the database and use the artist/album/genre filters ... nice! Great job.

One tiny tiny little cosmetic nit; when you select Genres, the list says "Albums Filter:" at the top.

Anyway, thanks, this has now replaced Gmu as my Wiz music player.

And now I'm going to be even more annoying and make a wishlist request. ;-) Any chance of using embedded album art?

One tiny tiny little cosmetic nit; when you select Genres, the list says "Albums Filter:" at the top.

Fixed:

http://www.sbock.net/upload/us-en.zip

Just unzip this file in the "languages" folder.

Or here a complete download:

http://www.sbock.net/upload/ommpc2x-0_4_3-wiz.zip

Any chance of using embedded album art?
+1

EvilDragon said:
Wow, very nice player for my car :D

Just a small question:
Is it somehow possible browsing the music database and adding an album the the playlist? (or remove the current playlist and put the selected album into the playlist?) :)
And I didn't manage to remove a track from the playlist yet.

Thanks for that awesome looking player.
Unless something isn't working correctly it should be just like the f100/f200. 'A' in the library to append a folder, hold A to add folder as new playlist. In the playlist it should be hold A to delete item from playlist. Press select+start together to get key help on any screen...

And thanks to everyone on the compliments..
sbock said:
Any chance of using embedded album art?
+1
I'll look into it again, it wasn't trivial and I'm personnally not a fan, so that's why it's not made it in so far. I can understand the request though, especially if you don't keep full albums in folders...

Thanks sbock for the language file.

coder_timT, you should set up a PayPal account for dev. donations :)

Listening to music while playing MAME, too much ....

Now as for how long. I wouldn't expect much over 5-6 minutes to add 2000 songs. I timed my f200 and it took 35 seconds for 250 songs...so that scales up to 6 minutes for 2000.

At default speed (533) the Wiz needs ca. 15 seconds for 300 songs.

Unless something isn't working correctly it should be just like the f100/f200. 'A' in the library to append a folder, hold A to add folder as new playlist. In the playlist it should be hold A to delete item from playlist. Press select+start together to get key help on any screen

Yes, works for me.

i've just tried ver. 0.4.3, it works fine. nice player :)
hmm..by the way, here is a question for u, Coder_TimT (maybe a request? :p )
is it impossible to support 2 byte language fonts like Korean?
coz i'm a Korean wiz-user, sometimes listen Korean songs by ommpc2x,
but Korean title or artist's name of music file doesn't appeared correctly on the screen.
great players like gmu or ommpc2x don't support Korean,
so i must use built-in player to listen Korean songs :(

MEGADETH said:
i've just tried ver. 0.4.3, it works fine. nice player :)
hmm..by the way, here is a question for u, Coder_TimT (maybe a request? :p )
is it impossible to support 2 byte language fonts like Korean?
coz i'm a Korean wiz-user, sometimes listen Korean songs by ommpc2x,
but Korean title or artist's name of music file doesn't appeared correctly on the screen.
great players like gmu or ommpc2x don't support Korean,
so i must use built-in player to listen Korean songs :(

I will have to research some to find out what I need to do to make this happen. I'm pretty new to this whole character encoding thing. Do you happen to know what character encoding your ID3 tags are stored as? UTF-8? Unicode?

Promised Planet said:
coder_timT, you should set up a PayPal account for dev. donations :)
Sure, why not. :) I put a link on the project home page.

Coder_TimT said:
I will have to research some to find out what I need to do to make this happen. I'm pretty new to this whole character encoding thing. Do you happen to know what character encoding your ID3 tags are stored as? UTF-8? Unicode?
well, i guess ID3 tags of my mp3 files are encoded as unicode.
i hope u could solve this issue, though Korean is not familiar language to u. ;)

What about adding a Korean language file? Is it possible?

sbock said:
What about adding a Korean language file? Is it possible?

Should be possible... UTF-8 supports the language. I included a font with the latest build that supports Korean... Probably going to have to restructure some stuff going forward though, the Korean font is pretty sizeable...will most likely offer as an add-on or something...

Update the OP with the latest download, version 0.4.4

• Really fixed db update crash(I think...)I was wrong...again...I think I'm close now though. :) EDIT: I think it's really fixed now...
  • Monospace font in seek bar to avoid seek bar jumping around
  • Skin crystal(default is crystal_ts which was oriented for trying to use the touchscreen with your fingers) with smaller font. I'm pretty sure the font is temporary as it doesn't look that terribly great. I left it in play because it supports Korean in UTF-8...I don't know if that is going to solve any issues or not because I'm not sure if what I'm trying to print in the nowplaying are is UTF-8 encoded anyway...but with this font in place we can try...
  • Added date and bitrate to the song information display(touch the album art in the now playing screen if you haven't found that yet...)
  • Workaround was found for the "detach client" crash: Simply turn off the "Keytone Volume" of the Wiz menu

Coder_TimT said:
EvilDragon said:
Wow, very nice player for my car :D

Just a small question:
Is it somehow possible browsing the music database and adding an album the the playlist? (or remove the current playlist and put the selected album into the playlist?) :)
And I didn't manage to remove a track from the playlist yet.

Thanks for that awesome looking player.
Unless something isn't working correctly it should be just like the f100/f200. 'A' in the library to append a folder, hold A to add folder as new playlist. In the playlist it should be hold A to delete item from playlist. Press select+start together to get key help on any screen...

Aaaah, it's the "hold" I didn't know. Tried tap and hold with the touchpen, but didn't do it with a button yet.

Thanks for the info :)

Last edited:
i've tried this version, and surprisingly, it supports Korean! :lol:
in 'crystal' skin, the Korean title and artist's name of mp3 files appear correctly on the screen.
of course, id3 tags have to been encoded as UTF-8.
but, unfortunately, in file browser mode (not library mode), Korean folder names or file names still look wierd.
I think if folder names or file names are encoded as UTF-8, it appears right on the screen when i run ommpc2x..
but, my system is stupid MS windows, and it enforce me to use 'EUC-KR' encoding:(
anyway, ommpc2x is getting better in every version progressively, i guess.
really thanx, Coder_TimT ;)

MEGADETH said:
i've tried this version, and surprisingly, it supports Korean! :lol:
in 'crystal' skin, the Korean title and artist's name of mp3 files appear correctly on the screen.
of course, id3 tags have to been encoded as UTF-8.
but, unfortunately, in file browser mode (not library mode), Korean folder names or file names still look wierd.
I think if folder names or file names are encoded as UTF-8, it appears right on the screen when i run ommpc2x..
but, my system is stupid MS windows, and it enforce me to use 'EUC-KR' encoding:(
anyway, ommpc2x is getting better in every version progressively, i guess.
really thanx, Coder_TimT ;)

Cool, glad to hear that works. After research and finding that the id3 v2.4 calls for UTF-8 tags I was hopeful.

You are correct about the file browser, even if you did save the file with UTF-8 encoding, the memory stick would have to mounted on the Wiz with a special flag for the fat filesystem to use UTF-8 under linux. I've read that fat32+utf8 is still buggy under linux also, so it's probably best to just deal without it...

Not surprisingly, the font files for the Korean character set are somewhat large, so going forward, I'm going to split the Korean skin files into a separate download. I'm currently making the code changes to allow for that.

Coder_TimT, i've made a Korean language file for ommpc2x just a few minutes ago.
i'd like help u for this great stuff, ommpc2x, in this way.
if u need this language file, i can send it to u :)
how can i send the file to u? can u give your e-mail address or something like that?

MEGADETH said:
Coder_TimT, i've made a Korean language file for ommpc2x just a few minutes ago.
i'd like help u for this great stuff, ommpc2x, in this way.
if u need this language file, i can send it to u :)
how can i send the file to u? can u give your e-mail address or something like that?

You can send to my gmail address...codertimt.

Back