Mould Creation Time

Monk said:
@gruso lol love the blog update...

Meanwhile could we update the roadmap adding, say, 1 week to estimated based on:

http://www.gp32x.de...post__p__754118

? (I know ED doesn't suggest how much longer it should take, but I figure a rolling week would be better than "2 months" or letting the date lapse - esp. as it now seems unlikely to be sept 10th for the next milestone to be passed)
Yeah, agreed. On it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kloplop321 said:
Good logic There Craigix, are the pictures for the TV cables already online or are you guys still working on that? We always love pictures!

There is one awful photo taken from the factory but Michael should have some real ones once UPS delivers them... he might post the tracker so you can follow the progress if he sees this thread.

Bosbeetle said:
We like awful pictures so we can speculate about every little blury part. ;)
If it weren't for blurry photos, conspiracy theorists would need to find a new hobby.

craigix said:
Kloplop321 said:
Good logic There Craigix, are the pictures for the TV cables already online or are you guys still working on that? We always love pictures!

There is one awful photo taken from the factory but Michael should have some real ones once UPS delivers them... he might post the tracker so you can follow the progress if he sees this thread.

LOL that could actually be quite funny... I wonder if there'd be enough interest in Michael's package for UPS to think they were suffering a DOS attack?

And I keep thinking this but... how amusing is it that a DOS attack is called a DOS attack? Makes me think of Bill Gates trying to attack the net every time I hear it...

Bosbeetle said:
We like awful pictures so we can speculate about every little blury part. ;)

That's exactly what would happen, and since in the photo they had the plastic parts loose people would say the quality was terrible, it was falling apart etc. where as they were just showing the cables were in there. So lesson learned and we can wait for Michael to post some pics.

Oh and the case moulding, we probably won't hear much until it's ready, it's a complex and boring process (for most people) which has little to show until it suddenly all comes together.

If they finish the battery case first I guess we can show that, but they may well leave that part until last and be concentrating on the Pandora itself first.

OMG, men i usually deal with Chinese Machines Factory, and something you souldnt do is to accept a batch without a picture of the general Batch.

ive been in more that many "cheats" done by chinnese company the first sample usually is sweet and nice so good.
yet the rest of the producction might be almos as useless as paper holders.

i can say there are lots of companys that work like that (yeah just like drug dealers).

and im even more worried now that you say that they dont want to share a pic of the panda case. that bad, AWFULLY bad.

i just hope you guys request a PIC of a General Batch (nor a single case) before let it run into the Shipping (plus before paying off the remain debt).

craigix said:
It's the PCB company who don't want to take the photos.

wherent we talking bout the case company? XD

anyway if it is the PCB company they have several reasons to not to.

1) 0 particle rooms?
2) Hi Speed Camera Process (Flash it and we will see what happens.)
3) Special Secret Process of other proyects?

also ive heard some of the PCB burn in,PCB serigraphycs, Via Making and other alike mass making machines, are only sold under no disclosure contracts.

Not sure it's really easy to take pictures of the machining process... keep in mind that when that's finished, the actual case creation is only about a day long, so it'll be done before you even get to see the pictures anyway...

rmm21 said:
craigix said:
crazyhorse said:
I'm sure the Pandora would be a success, but, lets be honest, Craigix (i assume amusing) last post has got me worried.

What are you worried about? If this was some kind of highly elaborate scam it would be a pretty bad one on the grounds that you all know what we look like, our real names, our websites, our addresses and the fact we would throw our whole businesses away just for a small amount of money once shared out.

Rather than just working hard and establishing a long lasting open source handheld company with a good community.

Just to say, nearly everyone one of us preorderers is on your side Craig and Team. There's always a few who complain about everything like this hot coffee is too hot or this extended edition movie is too long.

As for pictures of TV out cables and mould production, I am in the camp of followers known as "the holy order of who gives a sh.t". I know what TV out cables look like and I can imagine what a black pandora case looks like. I even can figure out how an emulator will work on a pandora in a video. Some like the details but the final product is my only interest as it should be.

I like knowing how its made,
the whole process of getting a product designed, produced, and assembled.
its not every day ... (year?) ... that you get to see step by step how your computer/console was made.

but I'm the kind of person who sees a warranty as the delay before you can take it apart and improve it
(and the salesmen keep asking me if I want to extend it? :blink: people want to do that? )

My problem is even though I expect to have my Pandora by December, I hope I will have it by October. Even after everything is confirmed "done", shipping the parts, assembling and shipping the complete unit will take a month by itself. Basically, I am waiting for the "Done" moment. Because then it's all downhill from there.

Also even though I expect my Pandora by December doesn't mean I am particularly happy about it. C'est la vie, I suppose.

Enverex said:
Not sure it's really easy to take pictures of the machining process... keep in mind that when that's finished, the actual case creation is only about a day long, so it'll be done before you even get to see the pictures anyway...

Wasn't the "all in one day" estimation based on the capacity of the manufacturers entire plant (which OpenPandora will not be using as they have only one mould ordered) and on the assumption that a batch was about 400 units, not the 10,000 that OP have actually ordered (as the minimum batch size)?

I remember getting clarification that an estimate of their speed had been based on the whole factory, not just on one mould, but I don't recall being given a revised speed based on just the Pandora case production.

Speaking of the boards, how is the testing of those first 105 going? Are there any estimates yet of when the rest of them will go into production (possibly happening already?), and be ready?

Monk said:
Wasn't the "all in one day" estimation based on the capacity of the manufacturers entire plant (which OpenPandora will not be using as they have only one mould ordered) and on the assumption that a batch was about 400 units, not the 10,000 that OP have actually ordered (as the minimum batch size)?

I remember getting clarification that an estimate of their speed had been based on the whole factory, not just on one mould, but I don't recall being given a revised speed based on just the Pandora case production.

No. It's based on the capacity of the injection molder. To use the entire plant we would need one mold for each molder, which isn't going to happen. Injection molders are fast.

borgqueenx said:
EvilDragon said:
I don't think it will be September 10th. Can't tell when yet, since I'm not in contact with the chinese guys (Michael is), but I know they're working on it.
We'll see when it will be finished. Hopefully soon, but I'll never make any estimations again, we know how wrong they can turn out looking back into Pandoras past :)
guesses are better then no info...and there was almost nothing that could go wrong now right?

Nope, and there is still nothing that could go wrong now. By going wrong I'd mean seriously wrong. Like the boards wouldn't fit in the case, etc.
But how long something takes, well,... we learned to NOT make anymore guesstimations.
We wrote in the blog how long the company did tell us it will approximately take, but that's no guarantee that it WILL be fixed exactly after those days :)

BUT they are working on the moulds and haven't encountered any problems so far, this is what I'd say is definately going right :D

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
borgqueenx said:
EvilDragon said:
I don't think it will be September 10th. Can't tell when yet, since I'm not in contact with the chinese guys (Michael is), but I know they're working on it.
We'll see when it will be finished. Hopefully soon, but I'll never make any estimations again, we know how wrong they can turn out looking back into Pandoras past :)
guesses are better then no info...and there was almost nothing that could go wrong now right?

Nope, and there is still nothing that could go wrong now. By going wrong I'd mean seriously wrong. Like the boards wouldn't fit in the case, etc.
But how long something takes, well,... we learned to NOT make anymore guesstimations.
We wrote in the blog how long the company did tell us it will approximately take, but that's no guarantee that it WILL be fixed exactly after those days :)

BUT they are working on the moulds and haven't encountered any problems so far, this is what I'd say is definately going right :D
alright, thanks for the reply :) lets hope the factory will tell you its finished since the facts that they dont make pics are frightening me a bit.

craigix said:
We did ask for photos several times, we didn't get any. Remember it's up to the manufacturing company if they want to take photos on their factory floor, if they don't there is nothing we can do. They almost certainly have other projects going on there which 1) will most likely be much bigger than pandora and 2) might not like photos being taken.

We did get some photos of the TV cables though.

Wow, about our order probably not being their largest, that's an assumption that I've seen even the biggest organizations make (and personally, I think it really shows silly arrogance) so I could respect the argument. Probably organizationis which are better funded might be able to work out incentive clauses? I'm no lawyer ...

Not to change the subject, but previous posts referred to the black mold, does that mean that all of them will be black, or is there going to be any option (beyond my getting out the paint?) If it's going to be paint only, I don't know very much about paint compatibilities, so if anyone happens to know a particular kind of paint that would be appropriate (enamel, or acylics, or ??) I'd appreciate a guess on that line. Be too expensive just to guess without some input. This is NOT asking for guarantees on that, but even Mweston might be able to give some hints on that?

Back