Mould Creation Time

After reading the Wikipedia article on the injection molding process. I have to say, the troubleshooting section sounds complicated and depressing. I'm now a bit skeptical that we will have a chance in hell of seeing a finished Pandora anytime in the very near future. September is right out, and October may be questionable. The machining process is actually one of the FIRST steps. Once the mold is made there are tons of calibrations, pressure studies, heating and cooling adjustments, and a plethora of other nit-picky things that will have to be addressed before a usable case without any defects can be produced. I'd add at least 1 week probably way more to any current projection. Sorry, just being realistic.

Well, that process aint so trivial looking at it from the 3d model view.

there are several issues when looking at moulding.

first of all you have to think that common moulds only have linear movement so it will only open and close ONE WAY.

with only that youve got tons of constraints to face. the fact that there cant be any joint like pieces (they would break when opening the mould. (for example try injecting a narrow neck bottle instead of blowing it).

there is also cooling factor and it is CRITICAl due that if the mould is miss-cooled the product will be easy to break and if it is way too displaced it could break the whole mould (nasty thing ive seen).

yet just add more issues thinking on the Plastination hole (hot plastic entrance to the mould) there are speed and diferential cooling issues plus suckback .

gloss profiles and borders when machingin quality is low they usually dent up and end up with leaks.

so just patience and better hope the machined mould goes 1A

Does any one know if being in the "machining" phase, as was previously stated by gruso and EvilDragon, sets us behind the estimated September 10 for the mould completion? Also, as a side thought are the order numbers in numerical order? Say if my order number starts 015#someotherstuff does that mean I'm going to get one of the first 160 Pandoras? Cause that would be AWESOME!

The 35 days includes doing the tweaking, they are doing this process full time for 35 days. We have spent the best part of a year getting the case right, so, it should work.

Oh and they are making 10,000 cases in the first run if you're curious.

@Craigx

Does that mean:

A: The cases are close to being done? (A week or so left.)
B: The cases for the second batch will be done along with the first batch?

It's more that 10k is kind of a minimum run, as you can see from that video it's a lot of work to set these things up and they don't want to be just doing a few thousand at once.

I don't know how long is left, I've given up trying to estimate. When they are done, they will be done! :)

Hmm, 10K seems excessive (maybe this is due to the contract terms) but usually the company i know only produces an extra of 15% of the expected production (talking of cicle times).

5 percent out of calibration and mould pre-heat up.
and the rest percentage they are on failling items like
not full filling, out of constrants, out of dimendions, deformation etc.

they also should keep some xtra as spare if the mounting process get some busted.

so i would say final 25% is more than enough.

anyway, relief for everyone if they are running a 10K test.

craigix said:
It's more that 10k is kind of a minimum run, as you can see from that video it's a lot of work to set these things up and they don't want to be just doing a few thousand at once.

I don't know how long is left, I've given up trying to estimate. When they are done, they will be done! :)
When they are done, they will be done! TM

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig has decided to follow the "Blizzard" approach.

craigix said:

Cool. That's actually reassuring since the cases will be done for the second batch of Pandoras, reducing the manufacturing time needed between the original run and the second run. Since I'll probably be ordering out of the second run myself, I'm always interested in news affecting the long-term manufacturing plans of the Pandora.

craigix said:
The 35 days includes doing the tweaking, they are doing this process full time for 35 days. We have spent the best part of a year getting the case right, so, it should work.

Oh and they are making 10,000 cases in the first run if you're curious.

Thanks for clarifying that. Had me worried there for a minute. :)

So with a 10k run does that mean you might at some point make empty cases available for sale?

For those of us into case modding and painting I think this would be cool.
Then I could make different "skins" for my Pandora! :D

and when your skins for the pandora gets awefull, you can order a new case, and make it new :rolleyes:
and when you lost the stylus, you can order a new (thats no license to lost something be carefull whit your stylus.) :lol:

Phawx said:
Craig has decided to follow the "Blizzard" approach.

As long as it isn't the Duke Nukem Forever approach.

eridium said:
So with a 10k run does that mean you might at some point make empty cases available for sale?

For those of us into case modding and painting I think this would be cool.
Then I could make different "skins" for my Pandora! :D

Make it 2 Interested on buying more empty cases.

i would like to take an upper lid and get it laser engraved.

(by the way what is the material being used?, gotta check burning compatibility)
PP, ABS, PP+HDPE, any other special Pandora Mix?

also ive seen the approximate size and shape, its amazingly good, but i would like to see if i could file its edges even a little more and make it more slideable than a PSP (gosh trying to get the psp in the pocket or getting it out is not a easy thing) i like the profiles of the old vainilla DS. ive done this before with an old MP4 player i had and i got pretty good results, some motortool crafting plus some epoxy chrome colors resin and 'voila'.

PD: the nerves of getting not much news these days are making me think even more on the Panda XD

DroneB Dev said:
also ive seen the approximate size and shape, its amazingly good, but i would like to see if i could file its edges even a little more and make it more slideable than a PSP (gosh trying to get the psp in the pocket or getting it out is not a easy thing) i like the profiles of the old vainilla DS. ive done this before with an old MP4 player i had and i got pretty good results, some motortool crafting plus some epoxy chrome colors resin and 'voila'.

You know, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Pandora had been restyled from the original "rectangular box" type thing to actually be slightly, how does one say, tapered towards the edges for exactly that purpose.

DroneB Dev said:
(by the way what is the material being used?, gotta check burning compatibility)
PP, ABS, PP+HDPE, any other special Pandora Mix?

I think Craig said a few days ago it was about 90% ground unicorn.
Can't find a link though...

Tobs

Back