Mount Pandora On Mac Osx Desktop

Shirohagen

Brutal Deluxe
Website
richardho.lt
Hi guys

Is there a way, via USB or wifi, to mount the Pandora and it's SD cards etc on the Mac OSX desktop?

At the moment I don't have a SDHC card reader, so I'm transferring files to and fro using a USB memory stick.

It would be much easier to have a direct link between my laptop and the Pandora for file management.

Is this possible? If not, is it planned?

Possible yes, but not quite yet. Currently when plugged into a PC the Pandora acts like a gadget Ethernet device, allowing the Pandora to piggy back on the host system's Internet connection. Evil Dragon is working on a script to allow you to switch this behavior to the gadget mass-storage driver. That will allow you to manipulate files as if the Pandora were a card reader.

mindlord said:
Possible yes, but not quite yet. Currently when plugged into a PC the Pandora acts like a gadget Ethernet device, allowing the Pandora to piggy back on the host system's Internet connection.

Does anybody know where I can find a driver for this???

Last edited by a moderator:
If your Pandora is connected to your network you could SSH into it.
Apparently there is an SSH server running by default. (which I personally believe is a big security risk and shouldn't be enabled by default)

I've tired SSHing in but the Pandora is rejecting my credentials. I'm trying to log in as root using the password I gave at bootup (the one I use for sudo tasks) and I get access denied.

Any ideas?

cheers!

mindlord said:
I'd like to know this too, or are the drivers pretty generic, and the ones for the GP2X work for the Pandora?

I don't have an XP machine anymore but I tried that driver using my 32bit XPMode VM on my 64bit Windows 7 machine, passing the usb device directly, and it didn't work. That about the best feedback I can give right now, I'm afraid.

In a sane system there is no way to login directly as root, which is a good thing.
In your case, the default user (you) might not have access to the ssh group, and thus needs to be given group access.

try
Code:
sudo usermod -G ssh {Your Username}

64-bit drivers gadget ether drivers for the GP2X.

Edit: should've been usermod, not useradd. *stupid*

Pleng said:
I've tired SSHing in but the Pandora is rejecting my credentials. I'm trying to log in as root using the password I gave at bootup (the one I use for sudo tasks) and I get access denied.
It's not just a case of using the correct user name (i.e. your default user on the Pandora)?

I'm interested in something like this since I have a mac. But I've never SSHed at all...

HackModford said:
I'm interested in something like this since I have a mac. But I've never SSHed at all...
Ssh is some spectacular stuff. It allows you to do crazy things, like run remote linux apps on your local screen - even X windowed applications. Tunnel your current Internet connection through to a trusted server to have your data encrypted, not your DNS though, that takes some extra doins'. View remote filesystems using the native file-manager and interact with them as if they were local filesystems. Much more sophisticated than FTP, that's for sure.

mindlord said:
In a sane system there is no way to login directly as root, which is a good thing

Aha ok so I can connect with my username in Putty SSH and Putty Secure FTP. Do you know if there's any way to connect with windows explorer? I've tried typing both "sftp://192.168.0.3" and "sftp://pleng@192.168.0.3" into the address bar but I get a 'connection with the server could not be established' error.

64-bit drivers gadget ether drivers for the GP2X.

OK thanks. Well they don't work with Windows 7, for sure.

Pleng said:
Aha ok so I can connect with my username in Putty SSH and Putty Secure FTP. Do you know if there's any way to connect with windows explorer? I've tried typing both "sftp://192.168.0.3" and "sftp://pleng@192.168.0.3" into the address bar but I get a 'connection with the server could not be established' error.
I don't think that Explorer natively supports sftp like that.
I talk about using Doken In this thread to mount an SSH device as a drive letter though, that's about as close as you can get. I may have made Dokan sound scary in my post, but I had it running on my XP box after about 10 minutes of fiddling. I just wouldn't recommend it for a total newb. If you're using Putty, you should be able to sort it out.

mindlord said:
I don't think that Explorer natively supports sftp like that.
I talk about using Doken In this thread to mount an SSH device as a drive letter though, that's about as close as you can get. I may have made Dokan sound scary in my post, but I had it running on my XP box after about 10 minutes of fiddling. I just wouldn't recommend it for a total newb. If you're using Putty, you should be able to sort it out.

Hmm I had a quick look at Dokan but to be honest I don't really know what I'm supposed to do. The project page talks about a library for new file systems??

Incidentally the Pandora used to appear in network devices but I tried logging in as root and, for reasons you have already explained, that didn't work. I think that was on the first day of using Pandora. It hasn't shown up since. I wonder if something in hotfix 1 stopped Win7 being able to discover Pandora on the network?

Pleng said:
Hmm I had a quick look at Dokan but to be honest I don't really know what I'm supposed to do. The project page talks about a library for new file systems??

Dokan is a FUSE (Filesystem in User Space) implementation for Windows. It allows you to use SSHFS shares on Windows by mounting them as virtual drives.

Here is an Ubuntu article that explains how to install it. You can skip down to the Window specific part since you already have an ssh server running on the Pandora. You might need to make some adjustments since you're running 7, but the concept is the same.

Hmm I'm not sure DokanSSF is compatible with DokanLib x64 :(

I can't say for sure. Being dotNET it should work no matter the arch.. Isn't that the point of dotNET? Anyways. I don't use Dokan/SSHFS often, just when I'm booted into Windows to play a game and I need to grab something from my Linux Server. My windows install is XP 32 bit, so I didn't have any arch problems. There is nothing stopping you from using Putty SFTP or another SFTP client like filezilla until a better solution comes along.

mindlord said:
I can't say for sure. Being dotNET it should work no matter the arch.. Isn't that the point of dotNET?

That's what I thought. Well I don't know, all I know is it's not working

There is nothing stopping you from using Putty SFTP or another SFTP client like filezilla until a better solution comes along.

Yea I've used Putty SFTP to transfer some files but, hey, what can i say? I'm a gui guy and drag-n-drop lover. I tried Filezilla but just got 'Unable to connect' errors :(

If I had my Pandora I'd gladly help you figure out the nitty gritty, but the US Postal service is no doubt taking it's good old fashioned time delivering it to me. As soon as I get it, network file sharing and ssh will be tops on my priority list.

Pleng said:
Yea I've used Putty SFTP to transfer some files but, hey, what can i say? I'm a gui guy and drag-n-drop lover. I tried Filezilla but just got 'Unable to connect' errors :(
How about WinSCP?

Back