Mozzarella Madness

goobers

Website
Visit site
A bit random I know, but I'm bored.

I just got some mozzarella from Sainsburys and decided that it would be a good idea to try the low fat one.

MISTAKE!

I may as well have got some rubber to chew on, as it had absolutely NO flavour. It was like eating chewing gum without the flavouring. Never again.

Let this be a warning to you all!

The best mozzarella is the fresh one, try it and you'll never go back to the processed crap :)

Yeah, I just figured I'd give it a go cos I'm trying to cut down on the amount of crap I eat. I got some awesome antipasti though

There was this one place in NYC I went to a few times when I was younger. It was crazy expensive, so it was a special occasion type of place. The owner was written up numerous times in Zagot and was well known as owning one of the best eateries in the city.

She had this chef in the back who was basically fresh off the immigration boat from Italy. He made Buffalo Mozzarella like 3 times daily, and it was prepared to order.

Probably the greatest caprese salad I'f ever had, and ever WILL have, in my life. It was warm and rubbery (the good rubbery, not difficult to chew or anything), and the flavor was incredible.

One thing I miss :(

Goobers said:
Yeah, I just figured I'd give it a go cos I'm trying to cut down on the amount of crap I eat.
"Low Fat" is not necessarily better for you. Some low fat items are indeed much worse, as they, for example, have more additives and salt, while removing "good fats" and protein.

Last edited by a moderator:
GunPei2X said:
Goobers said:
Yeah, I just figured I'd give it a go cos I'm trying to cut down on the amount of crap I eat.
"Low Fat" is not necessarily better for you. Some low fat items are indeed much worse, as they, for example, have more additives and salt, while removing "good fats" and protein.

Yeah, I always make sure to check the labels these days. I'm trying to cut down sugar more than anything. I used to guzzle Dr. Pepper and Cherry Coke like there was no tomorrow. It's not that I'm fat or anything, i just think I will be if I don't watch out. I found that being a student has made me very aware that if you eat crap, you pay for it in the long run.

Goobers said:
I used to guzzle Dr. Pepper and Cherry Coke like there was no tomorrow.
Glad you cut that out -- soda is probably the #1 thing people should remove from their diets, especially if they drink it exclusively (instead of water, juice, milk).

Regarding cheese -- I'd say use full-fat (as fresh as possible), and just use less of it. Things taste better when they're not drenched in cheese, otherwise you lose the effect of both the cheese and the other ingredients. For example, I regularly make pizzas (on wholemeal lebanese bread) and last year I started putting *half* the amount of cheese I normally did -- they taste so much better now!

daclassicgamingmaster said:
There was this one place in NYC I went to a few times when I was younger. It was crazy expensive, so it was a special occasion type of place. The owner was written up numerous times in Zagot and was well known as owning one of the best eateries in the city.

She had this chef in the back who was basically fresh off the immigration boat from Italy. He made Buffalo Mozzarella like 3 times daily, and it was prepared to order.

Probably the greatest caprese salad I'f ever had, and ever WILL have, in my life. It was warm and rubbery (the good rubbery, not difficult to chew or anything), and the flavor was incredible.
One thing I miss :(

I used to love dining out in manhattan, corporate hq in jersey across from battery park so we'd catch the ferry, grab the subway and hike up town and go nuts every weekend we were there, but what I really want to know is where did he keep a buffalo?

GunPei2X said:
Goobers said:
I used to guzzle Dr. Pepper and Cherry Coke like there was no tomorrow.
Glad you cut that out -- soda is probably the #1 thing people should remove from their diets, especially if they drink it exclusively (instead of water, juice, milk).

Regarding cheese -- I'd say use full-fat (as fresh as possible), and just use less of it. Things taste better when they're not drenched in cheese, otherwise you lose the effect of both the cheese and the other ingredients. For example, I regularly make pizzas (on wholemeal lebanese bread) and last year I started putting *half* the amount of cheese I normally did -- they taste so much better now!

Yeah, I didn't really drink it exclusively, but I did drink too much. It was wrecking my teeth. If I do drink any these days, it's usually Pepsi Max. I know it's still bad for you, but I don't drink it in great volumes and there is zero sugar in it, so it can't be quite as bad.

All Diet soft drinks replace sugar with substitutes that are harmful in other ways than sugar (certain sugar substitutes like Splenda were linked to heart problems, and aspartame is not too joyful either). Your best bet is to switch to beer :)

I drink more tea than anything to be honest. Trying to drink more green tea instead of black tea. I like to drink spring water too. Much better than the awful chlorinated tap water here. Still partial to Earl Grey in the morning. I sound like some Stereotypical brit here. haha!

Diet Coke etc. is basically just as bad on your teeth, since it's the phosphoric acid that particularly kills them with it.

I tend to drink water mainly.

Personally, I cut fizzy juice out of my diet years ago. I never drank it in huge quantities but I did drink it often. But I'm very health conscious now and so I don't drink it at all. I've replaced with with freshly squeezed juices (not ones from a concentrate as those are still quite bad for you). I've also managed to cut sugary foods almost entirely out of my diet. I haven't had a packet of sweets in years. A little restraint goes a long way.

Also, a bit off topic, but it's surprising how many people say they can't taste the difference between pepsi, pepsi max and pepsi max light. When I was younger I had then all sat in from of me and drank them all without knowing which was which and managed to label them all correctly.

Ganepark32 said:
Personally, I cut fizzy juice out of my diet years ago. I never drank it in huge quantities but I did drink it often. But I'm very health conscious now and so I don't drink it at all. I've replaced with with freshly squeezed juices (not ones from a concentrate as those are still quite bad for you). I've also managed to cut sugary foods almost entirely out of my diet. I haven't had a packet of sweets in years. A little restraint goes a long way.

Also, a bit off topic, but it's surprising how many people say they can't taste the difference between pepsi, pepsi max and pepsi max light. When I was younger I had then all sat in from of me and drank them all without knowing which was which and managed to label them all correctly.
ach, pepsi max and max light both taste like metal!

Also, I'm pretty sure concentrate is just when its had the water taken out of it then put back in (hence the name). Maybe you're talking about dilute squash?

Goity said:
Ganepark32 said:

ach, pepsi max and max light both taste like metal!

No such thing. YOU LIE!

Back