Multiplayer

Would it be possible to use wifi or something with the GP2X or is that not going to be included in the systems hardware? If not maybe a USB peripheral or somthing could be made to do wifi games or somthing like that, to connect to a huge server and then trick the GPX2 into thinking its linked with another one via a link cable? Just wondering if this is a possibility that could work.

You answered my question, but I dont think you really got what I meant lol. I mean instead of using USB to make WiFi compatible with games, so anyone can play anyone around the world. You really dont think that I'd be flying to Europe to play a game of Mario with someone do you? :D Thanks for the help, too.

SDIO Wifi cards can connect to any Wifi network and then to the internet. You could also use an USB device I guess but the problem is that the USB is not powered. Don't know if anything would work with it.

I think a nice long USB cable into my linux or osx box will do the trick, as the GP2x is linux based it will be a synch to write server/client software for enabling multiplayer online via a host PC.

Ok, I've just learned about the GP2x and this would be great if you could have two of these and play two player Mame games. We play Mame two player games on our PC's via Ethernet... we would highly consider buying two of these just to multiplayer Mame.

Cool...

dsullinger posted on Sep 17 2005 at 11:32 PM said:
Ok, I've just learned about the GP2x and this would be great if you could have two of these and play two player Mame games. We play Mame two player games on our PC's via Ethernet... we would highly consider buying two of these just to multiplayer Mame.

Cool...

Well the oficiall Mame devs are against net-multiplay (Thats why they cut of support for the devvers making kaillera working with it). So if thats gonna happend, it has to be by devvers here adding it in, and thuse not be a simple port. So it might be a while, since i think the first EMU's out will be simple ports.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the GP2x having a loverly TV-Out, making it perfect for carting a load of classic, emulated games round to peoples house for parties, I wonder if it would be possible to attach a gamepad to the unit proper? If the USB port works for expansion (like a lot of people are talking, but doubts being raised on other parts of the forum), then I suppose this wouldn't be too much of a problem, but if it isn't, then what? Or how? Am I destined to play with myself? *snigger*

There are enough buttons for two player NES on one device... :D We probably won't know how the USB can be used until we have tried it. I hope it'll become clear, soon, but first they've got to get one of them things actually running. ;)

Digital Awakening posted on Sep 19 2005 at 09:07 PM said:
That's a cool idea, connect an USB joypad to the GP2X and then connect it to a TV and you get lovely 2player action. If only the USB port was powered... Well, been talk about a USB hub... 4 players anyone?

The USB joypad appeals to me a lot (since I already own one). Would indeed be most useful for 2 player games when hooked up to TV, or even on the system. I used to do exactly this with my Sega Nomad actually, since it had an input for 2nd controller and tv-out. :)

So do I need a powered usb port to say use another controller? I have a ps1 controller with usb adapter and would be perfect for 2 player on the tv. I mean I could go out and get a powered usb hub, but is it possible. Either way this is a sweet idea!

Um, I was just thinking...

If you connect 2 GP2X together with a USB cable, why do you need it powered? Both units got their power so what you need it for? Shouldn't you be able to send and retrive signals between the units anyway?

Digital Awakening posted on Sep 21 2005 at 12:25 AM said:
Um, I was just thinking...

If you connect 2 GP2X together with a USB cable, why do you need it powered? Both units got their power so what you need it for? Shouldn't you be able to send and retrive signals between the units anyway?

How would that work with the tv-out ?. You would`nt be able to connect both GP2x`s to the same tv, Would you ?.

Trooper

Actually you'd only need one GP2X going to the TV. :) Like if you're playing a 2 player game like Street Fighter 2 for example on SNES. Both screens are just shwoing the same thing. So if both units are hoked up and synced, two people could use 2 GP2X's, with only one using tv-out to the TV.

It would work very well.

Prophet posted on Sep 21 2005 at 12:56 AM said:
Actually you'd only need one GP2X going to the TV. :) Like if you're playing a 2 player game like Street Fighter 2 for example on SNES. Both screens are just shwoing the same thing. So if both units are hoked up and synced, two people could use 2 GP2X's, with only one using tv-out to the TV.

It would work very well.

That my not always be the case, It depends on the type of game that is being played. Say for instance you are playing a doom death match via the tv-out, The player whose GP2x is connected to the tv will be the view from his/her character, What about the player not connected directly to the tv ?. Unless they use two tv`s, The second player will have to use the tiny (in relation to the tv) screen of the GP2x.

Trooper

....wait....
why would you play a doom death match on a tv? to show you friend where you are so he can kill you easier? Just play it on the system, (assuming we could get a USB link patched together) it'd be a lot more sensible.

Also keep in mind that TV out will supposedlt require you to hook both the video cable and the audio separately so you have two cables coming out of your GPwhich could make playing a game a little rough especially in a two player set up if you have to plug ANOTHER wire into your system...

Back