Multiple .fpg Files Causing Massive Slowdown?!

xythen

Still Fresh
Website
metalvania.blogspot.com
I've encountered a rather strange problem when trying to run my fenix project on the gp2x. I discovered that my latest build runs like an absolute dog, whereas the previous one ran fullspeed. I narrowed it down to using multiple fpg files for the graphics.

Previously I had just been using a single file, but realised that it would quickly become an organisational nightmare so I split it into 4 files; one for sprites, one for backgrounds, one for hardness maps and the last one for other misc stuff.

Using a single fpg file, the game runs at ~72 fps. Changing it to use the 4 seperate fpgs causes the the framerate to drop to ~14 fps!!

Is there a reason why this might be happening? And is there any way around it? I noticed that ruckman uses multiple fpgs, so presumably there is a way to get them working...

Thanks in advance!

I also use multiple fpgs. Hell, I create them in memory aswell and fill them up with gfx so I use a LOT. But the thing is I have never tested a speed comaprison without using more than 1. I think it's likely something else has changed aswell.

Seems strange, never heard of that problem before and as you said I use 2 FPGs in Ruck-Man. Are you sure that it's definitely that which is causing the slowdown?

If you pm me I can give you my email and you can send your program to me to have a look at if you like.

Back