Mupen64 question

DarkCheetah

I'm curious if anyone know if the latest Mupen uses a swap file when you have one running. The last version of Mupen did but I noticed since I upgraded that it isn't using my swap file. Anyone else having this issue. I've been able to run 1080 snowboarding smoothly up until this last update and now it's just unplayable with choppiness. Was curious if not accessing my swap is causing this. Thanks for any help.

NO!

Every program uses the swap, if there is one and the RAM is filled up.

A swap doesn't necessarily mean, that pograms run faster.

I'd say you read the wikiarticle about linux swapspace and come back here, when you are finished and after reflecting, what you wrote ;)

Edit:

Just one paragraph from the article:

Performance

The backing store for a virtual memory operating system is typically many orders of magnitude slower than RAM. Additionally, using mechanical storage devices introduces delay, several milliseconds for a harddisk. Therefore it is desirable to reduce or eliminate swapping, where practical. Some operating systems offer settings to influence the kernel's decisions.

1. Linux offers the /proc/sys/vm/swappiness parameter, which changes the balance between swapping out runtime memory, as opposed to dropping pages from the system page cache.
  2. Windows 2000, XP, and Vista offer the DisablePagingExecutive registry setting, which controls whether kernel-mode code and data can be eligible for paging out.
  3. Mainframe computers frequently used head-per-track disk drives or drums for page and swap storage to eliminate seek time, and several technologies[20] to have multiple concurrent requests to the same device in order to reduce rotational latency.
  4. Flash memory has a finite number of erase-write cycles, (see Limitations of flash memory), and the smallest amount of data that can be erased at once might be very large (128 KiB for an Intel X25-M SSD [21]), seldom coinciding with pagesize. Therefore, flash memory may wear out quickly if used as swap space under tight memory conditions. On the attractive side, flash memory is practically delayless compared to harddisks, and not volatile as RAM chips. Schemes like ReadyBoost and Intel Turbo Memory are made to exploit these characteristics.

Many Unix-like operating systems (for example AIX, Linux and Solaris) allow using multiple storage devices for swap space in parallel, to increase performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL

anyway if you have updated mupen some of the settings have changed since the last version so it might help if you delete the appdata folder, that could help with the coppieness.
Thank you for the info. I'll give it a go. As far as the wiki goes I did look it over...I posted because I noticed the last version of Mupen used my swap a ton and the new version did not at all...not because I was unaware of how swap works...thanks mcobit though for the link. ;)

I use swap, but I have not noticed any choppyness, I set my swappyness to 10 from 60 to make the OS swap less but still have the swap there so it can be used when needed while multitasking on the desktop.

I usually run up to 350 mb of total ram usage while on the desktop, the Pandora has turned into a laptop and sometimes desktop replacement.

I use swap, but I have not noticed any choppyness, I set my swappyness to 10 from 60 to make the OS swap less but still have the swap there so it can be used when needed while multitasking on the desktop.

I usually run up to 350 mb of total ram usage while on the desktop, the Pandora has turned into a laptop and sometimes desktop replacement.
I know the feeling. The more I use my Pandora the less I've used my desktop. I should probably give the old girl a little love...feel sort of guilty now. Perhaps I'll crack her open after work and blow out all the dust that has built up...she always likes that. LMAO

May I ask an other "Muppen 64 question"?

Is still anyone working on Muppen 64? The last Update was in June, 16 and a lot of games I want to use are still not compatible (Glover, Yoshi's Storry, Kirby, Iggy's Regginball crashes some times...).

Are there any news about this project?

i know of a friend who working on a version that has the dsp core working

Please treat him nicely and give him lots of encouragement :)

This would be a great approach, rather than the usual:

Dev: "New release of Mupen64 with dsp is ready for you to try"

Users: "Yay! Thanks you are great, look forward to trying it out"

[time passes...]

User1: "It's worse, crashes my favourite game that never worked before and in SM64 I get a measly 1fps improvement. What a waste of time..."

User2: "Ya, it's utter tripe. I don't see why you'd even bother releasing this. Move on people, nothing to see here!"

User3: "Yeah, and there's not even any source for it. What a douche! Fix it or let someone better than you try, l0s3r!"

:rolleyes:

Back