Mupen64Plus

But most games in N64 have an aspect ratio of 4:3 (1.33) not 1.667 like this resolution used.In some games you could choose between 4:3 and 16:9 like Rayman 2 for example.

It´s looking good,not much deformation there in the image but in the future i hope i can play at a 4:3 scaled image.

There are no pixels involved, it's rendered 3D, so it will look just as sharp no matter what resolution you used. All that would happen would be that at extremes things could look squashed, but widening it out to 800*480 will look the same as these games look on the Wii N64 emulator now, and they look good.

You could play it at the correct resolution, but I don't see this being such an issue as it is with pixel based games, and once you see it on the Pandora you probably won't notice.

Rivroner said:
But most games in N64 have an aspect ratio of 4:3 (1.33) not 1.667 like this resolution used.In some games you could choose between 4:3 and 16:9 like Rayman 2 for example.

It´s looking good,not much deformation there in the image but in the future i hope i can play at a 4:3 scaled image.
It doesn't look to me like it's deforming at all. Looks like it's actually changing the camera so you get a wider view. But that could be witnesses bias.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
It doesn't look to me like it's deforming at all. Looks like it's actually changing the camera so you get a wider view. But that could be witnesses bias.

The image is clearly being stretched horizontally. It is not rendering for a wider view (which is, as commented before, very glitchy when implemented on other emulators).

It's easier to see on the Title - look at the "super mario 64" text, or marios face, in the videos and then compare to an usual image - just google image search. The stretching becomes very obvious.

EDIT: None of this is a big deal, it's personal preference. Some will want horizontal black borders to have 4:3 authentic image, some will prefer 800x480 fullscreen, some games have internal option for widescreen aspect ratio. Seeing as the plugin can already happily render/scale to 800x480, there should be no problem at 640x480.

It's likely that there will be some games which that doesn't work for, but otherwise, I see no reason not to draw more pixels if there's spare graphics power in there.
EDIT: Unless it is deforming, in which case no.

If a 16:9 hack is feasible and it improves the look of some non-widescreen games... then there is no problem as long as it is an optional setting.
Other resolutions are clearly trivial at this stage since it's been stated that (it appears that) the SGX is not the bottle neck.

Exophase said:
Does no one else care about aspect ratio? I'd much rather have it render at 640x480 personally, regardless of whether or not it can do 800x480 with the same performance..
*raises Hand" Me do! :D
That's why I've asked and because my english is not the best It sounded to me like they use a correct aspect ratio and changed the ingame "camera" to a real widescreen. So no stretching etc... but of course this seems to be wrong right now. But I expect a simple 4:3 640x480 scaling without problems and everyone can choose the Scaling method he wants. Without stretching, the image also would be "pixel excact" so no inaccurate "1.5 Pixel" stretchings or so destroy the image.
I really don't like images with the wrong aspect ratio so I don't care about black bars left and right. My 16:9 TV also has black bars left and right when the channel is not 16:9. It's always better then stretching or zooming (the worst of all!)

fusion_power said:
Exophase said:
Does no one else care about aspect ratio? I'd much rather have it render at 640x480 personally, regardless of whether or not it can do 800x480 with the same performance..
*raises Hand" Me do! :D
That's why I've asked and because my english is not the best It sounded to me like they use a correct aspect ratio and changed the ingame "camera" to a real widescreen. So no stretching etc... but of course this seems to be wrong right now. But I expect a simple 4:3 640x480 scaling without problems and everyone can choose the Scaling method he wants. Without stretching, the image also would be "pixel excact" so no inaccurate "1.5 Pixel" stretchings or so destroy the image.
I really don't like images with the wrong aspect ratio so I don't care about black bars left and right. My 16:9 TV also has black bars left and right when the channel is not 16:9. It's always better then stretching or zooming (the worst of all!)

You won't have to worry about the pixel-exact thing for the most part because of what craig said. It's rendered polygons. There aren't any specific pixels. As long as you have the correct aspect ration, you're fine. The only thing I'm worried about is textures, like in OoT. What will happen to those at larger resolutions? (And do you think we have enough left over RAM for Hi-Res Texture packs, you guys?)

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
*Snip*
The only thing I'm worried about is textures, like in OoT. What will happen to those at larger resolutions? (And do you think we have enough left over RAM for Hi-Res Texture packs, you guys?)
The textures on N64 were very low resolution most of the time. rendering at different resolutions the texture will be the same size in RAM, it is only applied to the geometry which is rendered at a different resolution. It will only make any difference if some scaling filter is used to double the size 2xSai, etc as to how much RAM would be used up...
As for "Hi-Res Textures" what we really want is Med-Res textures since we are dealing with a smaller screen than the Hi-Res packs are meant to cater for!

PokeParadox said:
The textures on N64 were very low resolution most of the time. rendering at different resolutions the texture will be the same size in RAM, it is only applied to the geometry which is rendered at a different resolution. It will only make any difference if some scaling filter is used to double the size 2xSai, etc as to how much RAM would be used up...
As for "Hi-Res Textures" what we really want is Med-Res textures since we are dealing with a smaller screen than the Hi-Res packs are meant to cater for!

But would this still be an issue with the TV Out cable connected to a high resolution TV?

MrBlais said:
PokeParadox said:

But would this still be an issue with the TV Out cable connected to a high resolution TV?

I don't think so, besacuse the TV-Out has a SD Resolution of max. 640x480 pixels, what is even smaller than the Display-resoulution. The TV will just scale up the picture but won't make it any sharper.

mcobit said:
MrBlais said:
PokeParadox said:

I don't think so, besacuse the TV-Out has a SD Resolution of max. 640x480 pixels, what is even smaller than the Display-resoulution. The TV will just scale up the picture but won't make it any sharper.

So, reguardless, the picture quality will be reduced?

I'm interested in seeing this in action. I know MWeston released a video of the PSX emulator running on his TV and it looks really good.

MrBlais said:
mcobit said:
MrBlais said:
PokeParadox said:

So, reguardless, the picture quality will be reduced?

I'm interested in seeing this in action. I know MWeston released a video of the PSX emulator running on his TV and it looks really good.

Yes, thats the point. Some TVs have mechanisms to scale up with filters that make the picture better. But you don't profit from sharper textures here.

PokeParadox said:
God Ginrai said:
*Snip*
The only thing I'm worried about is textures, like in OoT. What will happen to those at larger resolutions? (And do you think we have enough left over RAM for Hi-Res Texture packs, you guys?)

I wasn't wondering about RAM for the original textures. I was wondering if they would look morbidly pixelated, seeing as how they are essentially bitmaps you lay over polygons.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
I wasn't wondering about RAM for the original textures. I was wondering if they would look morbidly pixelated, seeing as how they are essentially bitmaps you lay over polygons.
You can use magnification filters for textures to make them look reasonably good, no problem. I'm not just talking about linear interpolation but rather something that produces extra mipmaps for the textures that are *more* detailed (by using SaI scaling algorithms etc).

Shaders can of course do wonders too, even if they just introduce random noise to make the materials look more realistic.

Panasaonic Plasmas so scale pictures up, sometimes they're not for the better.
I had my macbook on there, and it was so blocky it was not funny.

PS3 does not even scale PS1 games to my TV's fullscreen..

borgqueenx said:
Zodttd is working on a iphone n64 emulator. Maby he can also help you guys? :)
Zodttd is still mad about the iPhone? Wow, I hope he will instantly switch to the Pandora when he get one. Who actualy wants an iPhone... :D

Back