Mupen64Plus

Exophase said:
Apparently SGX doesn't support OES_depth_texture on iPhone 3GS, maybe someone can confirm if it doesn't here >_> I hope it does later, because the hardware is capable of rendering depth buffers externally..

One thing that'd be especially nice is a way to do purely custom pixel formats in shaders. Then it'd be pretty doable to output depth buffers instead of color buffers, or both using a 64bpp framebuffer. Does anyone know if this is already possible somehow?
i dont wanna run offtopic for long, but its to bad the iphone 3gs does not have a 3gs exclusive game yet. there is no way to tell the difference in graphics from 3g to 3gs yet. Someone's gotta make a 3gs exclusive game using its power. The only thing noticable in games is speed.

Ontopic again, is there already a rom running on this emulator on the beagleboard or pandora? with 5 frames a second or more?

Last edited by a moderator:
borgqueenx said:
Exophase said:
Apparently SGX doesn't support OES_depth_texture on iPhone 3GS, maybe someone can confirm if it doesn't here >_> I hope it does later, because the hardware is capable of rendering depth buffers externally..

One thing that'd be especially nice is a way to do purely custom pixel formats in shaders. Then it'd be pretty doable to output depth buffers instead of color buffers, or both using a 64bpp framebuffer. Does anyone know if this is already possible somehow?
i dont wanna run offtopic for long, but its to bad the iphone 3gs does not have a 3gs exclusive game yet. there is no way to tell the difference in graphics from 3g to 3gs yet. Someone's gotta make a 3gs exclusive game using its power. The only thing noticable in games is speed.

Ontopic again, is there already a rom running on this emulator on the beagleboard or pandora? with 5 frames a second or more?

As was mentioned earlier... They need to get a video plugin working before anyone can calculate FPS.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
As was mentioned earlier... They need to get a video plugin working before anyone can calculate FPS.

-God Ginrai

OK, well then im looking forward to new updates.

Maby you guys can make a blog or small site for updates?

Or will pandora press keep us updated?

borgqueenx said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand that question.

Could you please ask it in a different way where you don't use the expression "the ultimate source of updates"? Because the way you put it, it doesn't really make sense.

Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

dflemstr said:
borgqueenx said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand that question.

Could you please ask it in a different way where you don't use the expression "the ultimate source of updates"? Because the way you put it, it doesn't really make sense.

Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

He asked if the unofficial blog would post updates on how the N64 emulator is doing.

And the answer to that would be: If the devs make posts about it and Gruso and the others at Pandora Press believe it is big enough news, then it will be posted, otherwise, they probably won't keep you privy to the smallest updates about it.

-God Ginrai

Probably it will be posted at the unnoficial blog when they have some video about it( just as Dreamcast ), but it will take more time to build this, and i would prefer to see videos when they got their Pandoras, and no this dirty beagleboards.

The big question is how much time will require to finish this emulator, strmnrnm took years to make an unfinished emulator... ( i didn't want to mean that he didn't worked, jut that Psp sucks :p )

dflemstr said:
Wow, I never thought that my previous post would be taken seriously... Oh well.

To tell you the Truth, I didn't think it was serious, but at the same time, It seemed to pull in things that didn't make sense, or hadn't been mentioned. So instead of trying to understand the joke, I responded the way in which I did.

-God Ginrai

guizm said:
Probably it will be posted at the unnoficial blog when they have some video about it( just as Dreamcast ), but it will take more time to build this, and i would prefer to see videos when they got their Pandoras, and no this dirty beagleboards.

The big question is how much time will require to finish this emulator, strmnrnm took years to make an unfinished emulator... ( i didn't want to mean that he didn't worked, jut that Psp sucks :p )

Why does it matter where it's being ran? Getting it running in a throttled Qemu would be a LOT better than nothing, and shows progress. Getting it running on a beagleboard (with nearly the same specs as the pandora) would be amazing.

I've been out of the PSP scene for years (prefer it that way), but I was pretty involved in the scene. strmnnrmn wasn't really actively developing his emulator, he'd take very long breaks. IIRC he eventually quit and left it in the hands of the scene, which picked it up and continued. His actual involvement was only for 2ish years.

That said, the PSP is crap. Completely. He was working on a 100% closed console with limited documentation, a weak CPU, and little RAM. Most people see 32mb and think "that's plenty for an N64 emulator", but what they don't realize is only ~18mb of RAM can be used by games. I had a huge memleak in one of my programs, which would cause a crash at 18-19mb. The rest is reserved for kernel space (which, you can get a few more mb out of it if you tried, but it's messy).

A 600 MHz ARM CPU is much more powerful than a 333 MHz MIPS. Hell, a 600 MHz ARM is probably faster than a 600 MHz MIPS. With that, and 20 times the amount of RAM... you have a lot more room to work with. Optimization is good, but the PSP needed so much optimization to even be playable.

Edit: I can't even remember, was he taking advantage of the media processor or not? I remember reading about him trying to offload audio onto it, but doing strictly audio on a ~120MHz CPU is overkill. I doubt he could do anything else due to lack of information.

Gary13579 said:
guizm said:

Why does it matter where it's being ran? Getting it running in a throttled Qemu would be a LOT better than nothing, and shows progress. Getting it running on a beagleboard (with nearly the same specs as the pandora) would be amazing.

I've been out of the PSP scene for years (prefer it that way), but I was pretty involved in the scene. strmnnrmn wasn't really actively developing his emulator, he'd take very long breaks. IIRC he eventually quit and left it in the hands of the scene, which picked it up and continued. His actual involvement was only for 2ish years.

That said, the PSP is crap. Completely. He was working on a 100% closed console with limited documentation, a weak CPU, and little RAM. Most people see 32mb and think "that's plenty for an N64 emulator", but what they don't realize is only ~18mb of RAM can be used by games. I had a huge memleak in one of my programs, which would cause a crash at 18-19mb. The rest is reserved for kernel space (which, you can get a few more mb out of it if you tried, but it's messy).

A 600 MHz ARM CPU is much more powerful than a 333 MHz MIPS. Hell, a 600 MHz ARM is probably faster than a 600 MHz MIPS. With that, and 20 times the amount of RAM... you have a lot more room to work with. Optimization is good, but the PSP needed so much optimization to even be playable.

Edit: I can't even remember, was he taking advantage of the media processor or not? I remember reading about him trying to offload audio onto it, but doing strictly audio on a ~120MHz CPU is overkill. I doubt he could do anything else due to lack of information.

24MB of RAM to user mode programs on PSP, + 4MB you can get from the kernel. This is just for 1000, 2000+ has another 32MB you can use. This closed/limited documentation stuff is neither here or there. Actually, in terms of low level 3D interface we know a lot more about PSP than we do about the SGX on the OMAP3530. The only other thing that really matters are the CPU/coprocessors and there's no secret about them on PSP, everything is and has been known. He wasn't running into any problems there. The CPU also wasn't "weak" compared to what else was out at the time. It was more capable than what was in the GP2X, for instance, a handheld which came out later. There's nothing to this "MIPS vs ARM" comparison, since you're comparing instruction set architectures and not implementations. ARM does have a more advantageous ISA in a lot of ways but implementation details still tend to overshadow this.

And the media coprocessor is the same speed as the main CPU. You can do whatever you want on it, no information was needed. It's just really hard to get anywhere multithreading an emulator.

borgqueenx said:
So exophase, you're saying making n64 work for pandora is harder then making daedalus work?
Thats quite odd.

No, I didn't say that >_<

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was just saying that the PSP hardware wasn't as awful as Gary said it was.

hello, i will buy nokia n900, n900 have maemo 5, cpu arm 600mhz,
open gl 2.0, chip 3d

can port muppen64 to maemo 5 for can play , nintendo 64 in nokia n900,

i think that n900 can run this emulator

other question, drivers gamepad bluetooh msi bgp-100 for nokia n900 are equal than n770,n800? or other system and compilation

or exist nintendo 64 maemo 5 emulator now??

i could be a betatester with my nokia n900, in theory the next week arrive to EE.UU and they send to me. i live in spain

regards

this is a good forum

ok ,but this emulator will run in nokia n900? maemo 5

if will run, you could send me a link ,

or any notice

send me a private message

very thanks

javi said:
ok ,but this emulator will run in nokia n900? maemo 5

if will run, you could send me a link ,

or any notice

send me a private message

very thanks

We aren't going to know if someone is going to do something like this. But N900 uses the same core hardware as Pandora so it'll be able to do whatever Pandora can. It might even run the same binary, although it'd probably need to be adjusted to be usable.

I wouldn't expect Ari64 to do it. I would expect someone else to because Mupen64 is open source.

Either way, this is not an N900 board. Maybe you should go find one and link them to this thread.

Unfortunately I feel like I'm kinda wasting my time explaining this to someone who probably won't understand it very well :/

Back