Mupen64Plus

JayFoxRox said:
A general purpose driver is in the works so pandora hardware is also available via a real joystick device so original plugins handle it and at the same time I'm writing another tool to create an joystick via network which can replace the pandora hardware devices (in the case your nubs are missing). I'll upload it tomorrow hopefully - I'm rewriting it all for release atm.
Yeah I'm currently lacking all the buttons / inputs. So i was hoping something over serial was possible.

And here's a shitty video taken with my phone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_EXdG5x7j0#t=0m25s

Youtube Quote:
This is a NEON optimised build of the graphics plugin gles2n64 paired with Ari64's dynarec for mupen64plus running on an OpenPandora rev4 devboard. The board is at 850mhz and its rendering at 800x480 resolution with NO frameskip. It is 25 to 30 fps for the ingame sequences, the mario head is initially ~25fps but drops down to ~16fps after awhile. Sorry about the terrible quality.
I've also got 1080 Snowboarding to work occasionally and Mario Kart, both are about 20 - 30 fps.

Changes to gles2n64 (i've updated the SVN):
- Debugged NEON optimisations, compile with -D__NEON_OPT to get all the stable optimisations. I may have slightly messed up (looks exaggerated to me) the lighting though.
- Added Frameskip.
- You should be able to change stuff like resolution, frameskip and vertical sync from a file called gles2n64.conf in the config dir

Are there any bright idea's for implementing auto framskip?

Last edited by a moderator:
borgqueenx said:
Those speeds are only achieved with or without sound?
And thanks very much for the video. Games above 15FPS are playable :D

and another thing: iphone rocks, it cannot create shitty videos:p
Funny how when people read "phone" they presume "iphone". Its a Nokia N95 and yes it does rock.

I haven't fiddled with the sound, i haven't even tested if my board can output sound. I would presume the sound is being computed as per default.

BTW: 30 fps is the maximum speed of Super mario 64, i would be surprised if it actually maintained that on a real N64.

Adventus said:
Are there any bright idea's for implementing auto framskip?

The way I do it is to emulate a frame, and end up with a buffer which contains the graphics for that frame. Signal a low-priority thread that a new buffer of graphics are ready for rendering, and then repeat.

The low-priority rendering thread picks up the new buffer and starts work on drawing the display. As it's low-priority, it only runs while the main emulation thread is sleeping (waiting for sound/interrupt synchronisation or whatever) - and this means that if the emulation thread needs CPU, the renderer doesn't steal it. Instant Frameskip.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this will work, I only know that it does for me, but I'm not emulating an N64.

D.

Adventus said:
borgqueenx said:
Those speeds are only achieved with or without sound?
And thanks very much for the video. Games above 15FPS are playable :D

and another thing: iphone rocks, it cannot create shitty videos:p
Funny how when people read "phone" they presume "iphone". Its a Nokia N95 and yes it does rock.

I haven't fiddled with the sound, i haven't even tested if my board can output sound. I would presume the sound is being computed as per default.

BTW: 30 fps is the maximum speed of Super mario 64, i would be surprised if it actually maintained that on a real N64.

It's one of the rare games on the N64 that actually does keep the frame rate rock steady at 30fps on the actual hardware. I think it dips just a little on some parts of the Shifting Sand land course and Wet Dry World course though, can't remember. Darn now you're making me get my N64 out again :p

How is the compatibility so far? Only 3 games are running at the moment... is the problem the graphics plugin?

Adventus: Can you send me this build to try? If anyone can get the controls to reverse the Y axis on the left nub so that it is correct that would be great too. It's backwards right now! :) The build I got from Pickle will only render in a 320x240 window as well. Maybe this one will work better. You guys are doing such an amazing job. Rendering at 800x480....wow!

Thanks.

Aethix said:
I think this needs to be said: Ari64 for guru!
yeah what people thought naught possible becomes reality through peoples collaboration awesome work guys

Not for nothing, but these guys did it without *actually* having a Pandora. I know Beagle Board helps, but I think the motivation is to one day play it on a nice portable.

That just goes to show you how awesome these guys are. No doubt when we actually get our Pandora's I think we are going to see some serious shit. (88 MPH and all)

Adventus said:

N95 doesn't have gles2, so did you make your own plugin for gles1.1, or what? :) I think you are just teasing us with the idea of using just a N95. The N95 has only a ~330Mhz or so ARM11, so it would be quite hard to run all the ARM cortex-A8 code with it ;-)

Summeli said:
N95 doesn't have gles2, so did you make your own plugin for gles1.1, or what? :) I think you are just teasing us with the idea of using just a N95. The N95 has only a ~330Mhz or so ARM11, so it would be quite hard to run all the ARM cortex-A8 code with it ;-)
He filmed it with the N95. It's running on a Pandora dev board.

Gruso said:
Summeli said:
He filmed it with the N95. It's running on a Pandora dev board.
of course. It all makes sense now :)

I finally got my youtube video posted. I've made videos longer than 10 minutes before but it didn't like 15 minutes so now it is a shorter evening with Mario. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgP6PEhH4uQ

Ok, so the Processor seems to be the limiting factor, if it is such a difference between 600 and 800 mhz. Are there any furter Optimisations that can be applied?

Also I want to congratulate everyone who is involved in this Project. You guys did a GREAT job!

I know I'm adding to the noise, but it would be nice for all the congratulations etc to be in a thread in general. Maybe I'm being selfish but I'm at work and it makes it harder to quickly read the updates hahaha
PS well done guys, keep up the good work :D

mcobit said:
Ok, so the Processor seems to be the limiting factor, if it is such a difference between 600 and 800 mhz. Are there any furter Optimisations that can be applied?

Also I want to congratulate everyone who is involved in this Project. You guys did a GREAT job!
Impressive. If the Emulator needs 800 MHz, how high is the additional Battery drain compared to the 500MHz standard clocking? I just ask because it's still a mobile device. ^^

Oh, I can't see it exactly onto the video, is the aspect ratio correct in 800x480 or is the original 4:3 Resolution of the N64 just strechted over the widescreen Pandora LCD (resulting in an even fatter Mario :D)?

Back