My friends said that the Pandora display SUCKS

PowerGod

Forum Addict!
:lol: That was exactly the same phrase that everyone of my friends said after looking at the desktop !!

And I wasn't undestanding that at the beginning, but after I show them a movie, they suddenly told "WTF !! Now it's really great !!"... ehm.. "Now ?!"

So I found what was the initial problem !! The blurred image of the default wallpaper !!! They was all thinking it was some kind of low res display or a faulting one !! LOL !!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Best head over here then plus the links Prometheus stored of all the older community backdrops and user back drops which no longer feature in the firmware of all the new ReBirth Pandorae.

Must say "Phew!" aswell :) , as the topic title had me thinking your new machine wasn't up to your expectations, or had some new kind of fault, so you got your laugh alright :)

Actually I like it very much, the only complain I have is that the game controls doesn't fit well in my hands, and I have to change different positions to evade cramps, but maybe it's only a matter of habit... My last "gamepad" was a Game Gear, and it died at least 15 years ago... so I'm too used of the keyboard

Don't worry about it. I was also rather vexed at the unpleasant fact that my Pandora was uncomfortable to hold and use for gaming when I first got it.

The issue has since completely disappeared, as I have adapted.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

:lol: That was exactly the same phrase that everyone of my friends said after looking at the desktop !!

And I wasn't undestanding that at the beginning, but after I show them a movie, they suddenly told "WTF !! Now it's really great !!"... ehm.. "Now ?!"

So I found what was the initial problem !! The blurred image of the default wallpaper !!! They was all thinking it was some kind of low res display or a faulting one !! LOL !!! :D

HAHAHAHA

nice work PowerGod, I think you got an excellent point there.

the background would need some sharp defined logo, subtext or something, anything. close to the center so people can see the LCD's resolution right away.

otherwise you can't tell its not 256x192 :p

I like the default desktop. It doesn't look low res and it's obvious from the rest of the GUI stuff that it isn't so uh yeah I dunno..

Sharp background images suck, try reading icon labels or text on a transparent terminal window. Smooth blurry backgrounds ftw.

Sharp background images suck, try reading icon labels or text on a transparent terminal window. Smooth blurry backgrounds ftw.

first, no one's preventing you to change your background.

second, PEBKAC: I you can't read your terminal don't use a transparent terminal window then.

we're talking about the default bg, the first thing people see when the machine is finally all booted up and the reaction general people have upon seeing it.

there are ways to make a sharp background with lower contrast, lower saturation areas for the icons to be readable.

I think the stock wallpaper is quite nice, and concur with the view that some people just suck. (Someone told me the Pandora had a crappy screen - that was a combination of me having the brightness down to save battery, and the lack of glossy mirror finish preventing them from seeing a reflection of their vacuous, narcissistic face.)

But, perhaps a sharper default background would improve first impressions. The stock iOS 'raindrop' background is much sharper, and it's probably a comparison point for a lot of people.

the lack of glossy mirror finish preventing them from seeing a reflection of their vacuous, narcissistic face.

:lol: ;)

Of course if the screen were a mirror, you would be able to see real life, in full, glasses-free, 3D!

My friends was saying "Hey look !! It's EXACTLY like the DS !!" "TRUE !! It's like the DS"

... but after I opened it ... "It's really like the DS !!" "It's a copy of the DS !!" "It's a copy of the DS but more expensive !! LOL !"

... so I told "ehm... but... the DS has 2 display... and... no keyboard..."

and them "yes, but it's like the DS !!"

LOL !! :lol: There's no way to be geeky with them

Presumably any old fliptop phones lying around are mini-DSes...

A Nintendo DS has 18 bit color (Pandora has 24 bit), two times 256x192 pixels (Pandora has 800x480, so 3.9 times more pixels).

A Nintendo DS has a 67 MHz processor (Pandora easily 10 times faster), 4 MB RAM (Pandora has 128 times as much), 256 KB persistent memory (Pandora has 2048 times as much). More importantly, the Pandora is Open, while the DS is locked down. But never mind, they're both clamshell handhelds, so they must be identical.

A Nintendo DS has 18 bit color (Pandora has 24 bit), two times 256x192 pixels (Pandora has 800x480, so 3.9 times more pixels).

A Nintendo DS has a 67 MHz processor (Pandora easily 10 times faster), 4 MB RAM (Pandora has 128 times as much), 256 KB persistent memory (Pandora has 2048 times as much). More importantly, the Pandora is Open, while the DS is locked down. But never mind, they're both clamshell handhelds, so they must be identical.

Yeah, it's like this !! XD

the OS runs the display in 16bits and the GPU can't even keep up running in 16bits at this resolution.

a 15 or 18bits LCD would have been fine.

oh well, at least we didn't have any issues that could be related to the Pandora display having so many data lines.

The desktop is driven at 16bits, not "the OS". Any application can grab a full 24bit framebuffer.

You'll have to give more details on what you mean by "can't even keep up" with 16bit though, because having driven a 24bit layer I'm almost certain I disagree with you.

Back