My Gp2x Got F***ed Up

Miika

Only Amiga makes it possible
Website
Visit site
Hey there.

I was bored of the booting time of FW 3.0.0 that came with my Value Pack MK2.
So I upgraded to 2.0.0 and then 2.1.1. I did not change the u-boot so the first screen
from 3.0 remained, but the second green screen said "firmware 2.0.0" :S
Anyway, I tried using it, but found it quite unstable, and I tried DrMD and it crashes when trying to access the SD card (I tried formatting it too.)

So I downloaded the unofficial FW 3.0.0 from the archive, updated with still not replacing the u-boot.
Now I have the same old menus and stuff, but now it's worse than ever. DrMD still won't work, and when I try to start up Vektar, it just gives a black screen. Some apps work though.
Do you have an idea how I could fix this mess? I don't really want my system to be like this :(

Thanks in advance,
Miika

Change to firmware 2.0.0 (all the files, including gp2xboot.img, on the card, then hold down start+select while booting). Then, if you like, upgrade to 2.1.1.

My GP2X came with Firmware 3.0.0. What would I loose by going to FW 2.1.1. What would I gain?

forgeflow said:
My GP2X came with Firmware 3.0.0. What would I loose by going to FW 2.1.1. What would I gain?
You would lose the built in apps, any improvements that may have been made to the video player and the tutorial videos. You would gain a few seconds of boot time and maybe slightly higher compatibility with programs (though I don't know if that is actually a problem or not).
However, downgrading would bring your GP2X one step closer to an inevitable (though repairable with JTAG) brick.

Last edited by a moderator:
TelcoLou said:
Miika said:
Got it fixed. :)
... how?

Flashed to 2.0.0 including the gp2xboot.img, and then upgrading to 2.1.1 normally.

Orkie said:
forgeflow said:
You would lose the built in apps, any improvements that may have been made to the video player and the tutorial videos. You would gain a few seconds of boot time and maybe slightly higher compatibility with programs (though I don't know if that is actually a problem or not).
However, downgrading would bring your GP2X one step closer to an inevitable (though repairable with JTAG) brick.

The first part is not true. I downgraded from 3.0.0 to 2.1.1, I still have the built in games and help videos there.

Then you haven't done a full installation of 2.0, it wipes the user portion of the NAND.

Orkie said:
Then you haven't done a full installation of 2.0, it wipes the user portion of the NAND.
Are you sure? It works absolutely fine.

Yes, I've picked the installation process apart and I'm fairly certain. It's clearly not a problem, and I'm not sure exactly what you didn't do, but since it hasn't broken anything it doesn't really matter :)

Back