My Gp2x Should Arrive Today...

project86

I am buying this unit "used" from someone who bought 2 units to mess with but then needed the $$$. So it will probably be a 1st edition but I'm not sure. He said he only tested it briefly, no further info on what firmware it is running or anything.

So... what should I do with it first? Try to upgrade firmware? Or just start running DrMD, to see if there are any problems with joystick/screen? I want to make sure it works properly (or as well as it can with an old firmware IE it's not a defective unit) before I start updating it and doing things that might make new problems.

some problems i had with the first edition, first firmware:

moving the joystick causes a slight 'rippling' in the centre of the screen. You'll be able to see this on the menu screen if you have it. May be fixed by slightly unscrewing the four screws on the back of the unit.

screen go darker when pressing sideways in the main menu. Apparently more noticable in movie/sound playing. It didn't seem to be anywhere but the menu for me.

headphone jack fell off - stick some headphones in and see..but don't be too rough, i think a lot of units have bad soldering here.

the only thing that seemed to happen when i updated the firmware was that there were some more noticable scanlines that weren't there before, and the screen was darker/higher contrast.

Well, I'd upgrade the FW first. Then the SDL libs, then on to the emus!

I started to make a list, but there are too many ... DrMDx will impress to be sure :)

I got mine today and have been generally pleased with it, even though I already have dust under the screen. Nice choice on the protector being self-installed, GPH.

The stick, however, has seriously lived up to what I've read about it on the forums. It's fucking awful. Worse than my GP32 -before- I fixed all the diagonals. I'm hoping DaveC's cap will make it easier to deal with. I'm sure someone on here will think of a way to install a d-pad and I'll be first in line to have one installed.

I'm sure that I will also be picking up a DaveC cap at some point, even if I don't hate the standard stick as much as some people.

Is there anything I can do to avoid dust under the screen?

Also, what do I need to do to update SDL libraries?

And when is the new firmware coming out? I thought 1.3 was due weeks ago...

Is there anything I can do to avoid dust under the screen?
Yes, apply it in a clean room :lol: Try a steamy bathroom ... I've read that it cuts down on airborne dust which may find its way on your LCD ...

Also, what do I need to do to update SDL libraries?
Download 'em from the file archive, then run the included utilities.

And when is the new firmware coming out? I thought 1.3 was due weeks ago...
There's another thread about this (and it's getting us nowhere fast ;) )

Back