My Homebrew Shmup-ish: Superlumenal.

emcp said:
and damn about box2d, ive been trying to get the bloody mousejoint working for over a month, everything else im alright with but this is one pain lol

mmmmmm, is there any other alternative physic engines, (well im currently learning joint particles, which should be the only thing i need to make his game, so hopefully ill attempt to make my own engine)

You could try Chipmunk or ODE/Bullet with one dimension fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adventus said:
Yea, The distortion effect will hopefully be heavily used, Its rendered with a fullscreen triangle strip with degenerate vertices connecting each row. So its rendering complexity is constant (not dependant on the number of distortions).

have you considered using indirect texturing for the effect instead of the current mesh morphing approach?

btw, good job so far!

Just one nit-pick...

The title of this is "Super-lumenal" - did you mean "Superluminal"?

A "lumen" is generally the inside channel of a tube. Super-lumenal would be.. well, I dunno really. A really super channel inside a tube? Or even something that travels over a tube?

"Superluminal" means "faster than light".

Which one is it?

D.

box2d is likely heavily float dependant, so getting good performance on the Pandora may require some serious reworking.

well, would you have any other recommendations
how accurate it is, shouldnt really matter, atleast for one of my games

Wow, Sooo many comments....

@emcp: Yea thats how i envisioned the control, it might be a bit harder than my current WSAD + dodgy mouse setup. I might make L punch and R grab, so you can punch without having to grab them.

@gruso: Thanks, I wondered why my views suddenly jumped.

@Gilrad: You've got some good ideas there, i'll give some of them a try. I will definitely make the attack patterns modifiable. The BPM will definitely be an important component, especially because its the most reliable thing that can be determined from random music.

@darkblu Hmm fairly new to indirect texturing, though it does looks more suited to the TBDR approach. From what i understand i first render the distortion vectors to a texture then use that as a perpixel texture offset input for the rest of the rendering. I guess the risk is if i make my distortion vector texture too large i could thrash the texture cache on the SGX. I'll give it a try.

@Dunny: Yep, thats what i thought originally aswell. However as sindbad pointed out, I think i have the word right... ish. It also differentiates it from the anit-epileptic drug "Luminal".

@Mithrildor: Yea thats possible, however i doubt i'll have this done before Pandora Panic is released.

@emcp.... again: Actually i would stick with Box2D and apply the fixed point patch that should be in the SVN. Didn't realise one existed.

Thanks for all your support.

@Mithrildor: Yea thats possible, however i doubt i'll have this done before Pandora Panic is released.

That isnt a problem I guess. They can add it later. It would love it if they add it.

sorry for the bump

Where does this project stand now
quite liked the game

emcp said:
sorry for the bump

Where does this project stand now
quite liked the game
Its currently sitting on the massive list of other crap i have to do. :)

Its still got a way to go, i need to write software for controls, generating the levels & playing the music. I'll probably just use mplayer in the background to play music, so i can support alot of different file types.

I might release it open source if anyone wants to help dev.

Back