My New Project

dogstar

Still Fresh
Well, I've started a new project. I am trying to build a small game console called the RetroConsole.

It is intended to be a fpga based console that will simulate all the classic 8bit gaming consoles.

I have been working on this for months so I thought I might as well make a web page about it...

http://www.retroconsole.com

hmm i plan to build me one for also newer consoles liek playstation...
i plan to buy a VIA Epia board ore something...
then i put it as console under my tv.
Bye

That is amazingly amazing! If you can get that to work, I may just get me myself one of those bastards :)

Whats the price going to be?

This is a fantastic idea :D

How did you plan to take care of the bios images etc?

and are you using your own home brew vhdl cores? or can you download the older ones from someplace?

Hello,

Just had a quick look at your project page.
I only have one question concerning the price : do you have any idea on how much an fpga-based board costs? I worked on one during my internship at STMicroelectronics (2 fpga chips for Bluetooth) and the cost was around 10k$. Just to let you know.

Good luck on your project anyway.

Vincent

Here you go, check this out. A combination xbox, ps2, gamecube, NES, and 2600 plus a pc. It always makes me laugh.

Yoshi's Boxx

Thanks for the positive response. You guys are absolutely amazing. Everyone should be very proud of this community.

Cool, what consoles would that include???

Most all of the 8bit consoles. Check the web site for a complete list.

hmm i plan to build me one for also newer consoles liek playstation...
i plan to buy a VIA Epia board or something...
then i put it as console under my tv.

Yeah, I mention the Epia option on the site as perhaps a better option for many people. It depends on how hardcore you are I guess :)

How did you plan to take care of the bios images etc?
This is a really good question. I'm not sure yet.

Option #1 is license them [probably not possible]

Option #2 is include the rom/bios files with the cores and only remove when someone hollars. Most of these companies are bankrupt or long gone so I doubt anyone would care. Some may be problematic however.

Option #3 is make them available on a separate non-related site for download or let users chase them down themselves. Just provide a simple integration process.

Option #4 is reverse-engineer or somehow reimplement the roms. Don't really see how this would be possible. For instance, intellivision has many of its game characters, such as player sprites stored in rom. If I wanted the games to look the same, these will have to be exactly the same.

and are you using your own home brew vhdl cores? or can you download the older ones from someplace?

No, I'm going to implement each console myself in vhdl, component by component. This is the fun part for me. I can't wait to to learn how these machines, which I had so much fun with as a kid, really tick.

Azure posted on Sep 10 2003 at 02:43 AM said:
That's a great idea. I'd buy it.
I would too, provided we can reconfigure the gates on the fpga ourselves just for the tweak value.

without sounding like a complete propeller head.. fpga's are kinda fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to give you a status update on this..

This project is going well. I have worked through much of the 6502. I have decided to first build a 2600 compatible console because it should be a little easier.

I am working on the tia right now. I am hoping to have some screenshots of 2600 demos up on the site before Christmas.

For much more information:
http://www.retroconsole.com

I would snap it up.

However, I dont see why you couldnt emulate a Mono Gameboy. Patents may not have expired on the system, but the system itself is basically a Z80 processor, with very little in the way of custom chips.

Also, the Neo Geo is hardly a commercially viable system.

Back