My Panadora...DIED??

sebr.porte

Still Fresh
I haven't had it for more than 20 hours at this point. Last night battery was at 18% so I attached the AC adapted before going to bed. I just woke up 4hours later(now) and my pandy is dead! :( (( No matter what it just won't boot!!
sad.gif

Might also be worth trying it on the mains only. Note 2 things, not all Pandoras can run without a battery and 2 DO NOT INSERT THE BATTERY WHILST ITS ON THE MAINS.

This test will help establish if the problem lies with the battery.

Hope you get sorted :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I put the AC back in and it just turned on by itself. I THINK it may have shut down when it's battery ran dry the second I plugged the AC in before sleeping. But it was at 18%....maybe it didn't refresh? But everything seems to be fine now ^__^ *hugs pandora*

Just to clarify. How much does it normally take to charge the battery 0% to 100%?

It sounds like your AC adapter may be a little flaky. When you plugged it in last night, did you notice the red charge LED come on?

Actually, if you charge your Pandora while it's on Low Power Mode, it's more like 3 and a half hours. You get about 1% every two minutes.

Once you get to 100%, disconnect your AC adapter. Leaving the AC plugged in when the battery is at 100% has caused a few batteries to swell and potential damage to the plastic housing and battery obviously.

Once you get to 100%, disconnect your AC adapter. Leaving the AC plugged in when the battery is at 100% has caused a few batteries to swell and potential damage to the plastic housing and battery obviously.

This is ridiculous, the pandora is marketed as a mini laptop, and laptops are usually left plugged in for extended periods of time. I'm aware of the battery chemistry problem etc, but really I couldn't be arsed unplugging my unit every time its charged.

Regarding wizstan's hack, what battery capacities does it cycle through now? Has it made it into a hotfix yet?

This is ridiculous, the pandora is marketed as a mini laptop, and laptops are usually left plugged in for extended periods of time. I'm aware of the battery chemistry problem etc, but really I couldn't be arsed unplugging my unit every time its charged.

It's the same as with every laptop. If you check the instructions manual for your laptop, it says you should remove the battery if you plan to have it connected to AC for longer periods of time.

Regarding wizstan's hack, what battery capacities does it cycle through now? Has it made it into a hotfix yet?

Will be in next hotfix.

It's the same as with every laptop. If you check the instructions manual for your laptop, it says you should remove the battery if you plan to have it connected to AC for longer periods of time.
I have left my laptop plugged into the AC for 4 years straight with no problems at all. I would very much like to do the same with my Pandora except maybe not 4 years but overnight.

I have left my laptop plugged into the AC for 4 years straight with no problems at all. I would very much like to do the same with my Pandora except maybe not 4 years but overnight.
It doesn't sound like a healthy thing to do.

What's the battery life on the laptop like now? Every laptop I've seen done like that ends up with a battery life of under an hour or so.

Plus I think the LiPo cell is rated for something like 5000 charge cycles, which get eaten up fast when constantly charging/discharging if the unit is plugged in all the time. Not sure if the lives of the LiIon cells that most laptops use are any greater, but at least LiIon cells tend to not expand when overcharged since they have a solid metal/plastic casing. LiPoly cells are amorphous packaged in what amounts to a plastic bag, so they're easier to fit into small form factors, but don't have the structural integrity of a LiIon pack.

Plus I think the LiPo cell is rated for something like 5000 charge cycles
That's 5000 complete cycles. If you discharge to 50% and then top it up, that's only a half cycle. It doesn't matter if it's discharging to 90% and then back up to 100% or if it's going all the way to 10% and back up, the approximate lifespan will remain the same. Not exactly, as there are other factors, but approximately.

Back