My Pandora Has Arrived (Skeezix) ;)

OrR said:
Sounds like the day I got my Zodiac... :wub: Seems like the six years of waiting for a worthy successor are finally over! :)

Amen to that, the Zodiac is a brilliant handheld, and Warfare Inc. is 10x better on it than the iPhone. Just a shame it died a death and the concept never really went anywhere. I only really fire up my Zod for Warfare these days.

I've been waiting for the Pandora for a long time, and something like the Pandora all my life. Can't wait to start cranking out the HD video reviews!

Last edited by a moderator:
jumpman -- yeah, if I get a chance might be a good idea, though I'm possible biased. I've already long commented on the raw hardware (long ago, with my mk2 dev unit.)

I've not had much time to break her in yet, but a few thoughts..

It is _solid_, and this is the prototype! Feels really good. The nubs are fantastic!

The hinge in my proto is a little soft; its good enough, but if you wave the thing around the lid will flip full open .. so it feels like it wants to be 180, or closed, slightly more than at the middle-click; still, its okay, and I suspect the protohinge could be the issue there. Device fits in pocket, but is a little thicker then I thought it might feel.

The feel of the unit is very professional and it looks good; the keyb will take a little getting used to (key placement, such as the spacebar in the bottom right, and the location of shift and so on), but it is a very solid keyb. The d-pad and buttons and nubs are great!

My hands are normal size I'd say -- coder hands; not construction worker thick hands, but not little kid hands either :) I'm actually really surprised the controls feel as good as they do -- I had always assumed that either one set would feel better than the other, or both be awkward.. assumed nubs woudl be too far in, and d-pad too far out or something. But the reality, both sets of controls feel natural. I guess they looked awkward in folks videos since they're holding cameras in their mouthsm, you know?

Screen is crisp and bright!

The SD cards fit _flush_ in, at least with my cards; ie: they don't protrude out, which is _fantastic_; I hate when they stick an eigth-inch out, since they can catch; the volume roller, power switch and SDs are all flush and nice; the power slider is almost a little too flush, but better to be harder to hit hit when I've barely gotten used to it, then sticking out .

I guess DaveC designed this case? IF so, you can tell .. I never woudl have thought ot submerge those bits; its very classy.

It looks gorgeousw in all-black without silkscreens :)

It weighs more than I guessed, but thats not saying much

The lid closes very satisfyingly; it snaps shut and open and locks into the positions nicely.

Really, the hardware is a solid hit imho.

I'm working downtown Toronto tomorrow and Friday; if you're in the hood, let me know ;)

jeff

Wow, this is very exciting. Mines about 400km away... :) .

Great to hear about the controls, hows the L/R button position? I almost always find them to be too close to the corners.

L/R are 'okay'; handhelds never have good shoulder buttons, so these are about as good as everyone elses, maybe better -- when holding the nubs and d-pad, your hand is a certain way, so curling your fingers onto the shoulders seems right. Its just the whole idea of shoudler buttons on a small device isn't right imho ;)

jeff

Adventus said:
Wow, this is very exciting. Mines about 400km away... :) .

Great to hear about the controls, hows the L/R button position? I almost always find them to be too close to the corners.

You've got one coming as well!?
I should try hijack it on the way!! :ph34r:

I can't wait to see what programs and new adventures come of all this!

Dreamcast, ahoy!

Skeezix - I feel the same way about shoulder buttons in general. On a clamshell (the DS in my case) they're ok, but on something like the GP2X I find them very uncomfortable. I moved them on my 360 pad... I don't think I'll be butchering Pandora in such a fashion though.

I think I can say the controls are actually better than I've had in years; the Wiz is not bad, but seems too 'small' for me, and the right-side buttons are cramped due to being crammed into the d-pad configuration they originally wanted. (This is not a biased dis against the Wiz; I actually think the Wiz is fantastic, and I'm as lon ga GP/GPH supporter as there can be.) The d-pad is great.. in a way it could be better, perhaps, but its better than any other mobile I've had. I just played Sega Genesis Raiden and it was glorious.. able to dodge shots and such, and I simply could not on most other gadgets.

The screen does ghost a little, visible in SuperTux, but these are all raw ports without too much Pandorification, so perhaps hw blitter will alleviate some of the blurring; its not too bad, certainly not as bad as original PSP, but maybe about same as PSP-slim (PSP2000).

I gotta admit, this is pretty sleek; going a year without controls/speakers/etc made me appreciate the CPU, but running the near-complete unit is sweet :)

We've a few things to fix up in the firmware before it goes, but right now its pretty great; a few rough edges, but we're smoothing as we go :)

jeff

< and > look even in this picture ----> http://www.codejedi.com/pandora/rev3_unbox/IMG_0091.JPG

shadow.8 said:
< and > look even in this picture ----> http://www.codejedi.com/pandora/rev3_unbox/IMG_0091.JPG
I think it's an optical illusion. The semicolon is longer than the colon, so > looks lower.

skeezix said:
The screen does ghost a little, visible in SuperTux, but these are all raw ports without too much Pandorification, so perhaps hw blitter will alleviate some of the blurring; its not too bad, certainly not as bad as original PSP, but maybe about same as PSP-slim (PSP2000).
It's too bad there's ghosting, but so long as it's not as bad as original PSP I can hopefully live with it. The first time I saw an original PSP my jaw dropped at how bad the ghosting was, I'm very sensitive to it I guess. I couldn't even play the game, it was too distracting.

Thanks for the details Jeff, it sounds as solid as it has been painted to be! I look forward to receiving mine before the end of the month(Fingers Crossed)!

Chris

Gruso said:
mystique said:
Just got shipment/tracking info on the BF's. So soon I can ask a bunch more stupid questions for him right ?
I'm confused.
Yeah, who could this be? :ph34r:

Tom` said:
Gruso said:
mystique said:
Just got shipment/tracking info on the BF's. So soon I can ask a bunch more stupid questions for him right ?
I'm confused.
What are BF's? Brainfuck interpreters? Bloatfishes? Blue Fans?
Oh, I get it. They're shipping blue fans. Battery-powered ones?

lulzfish said:
Tom` said:
Gruso said:
mystique said:
I'm confused.
What are BF's? Brainfuck interpreters? Bloatfishes? Blue Fans?
Oh, I get it. They're shipping blue fans. Battery-powered ones?
(hint: that is not a grocer's apostrophe :eek: )

The talk of ghosting concerns me slightly but I really have never noticed it on my sister's PSP1000 so I'm just going to see. Glad to hear about the controls.

Adventus, it's great one's on the way to you too!

Even in just the pictures you've put up, and even the rev2 ones the case looks really good. I think it looks classy without the silk-screening but we've only seen one poor picture of that.

Back