My Pandora Has Arrived (Skeezix) ;)

B-ZaR said:
OpenTheBox said:
Congratulations! The pics are nice!

Couple of questions:
1) How does it feel in your pants (slacks) pocket?
2) How is one hand operation on this beast?

You dirty, dirty person! :D
Haha!! :lol:
I really didn't meant it that way, but I see how it "reads" now. :eek:

1) I didn't want to carry the Pandora in a backpack/briefcase/holster and would like to always have it around, hence, I ask the pants pocket question. Seeing skeezix work in an office environment, I would venture that he wears slack/khaki pants most of the time.

2) I intend to plug this into the aux port of my car stereo. The question was meant for operation of the Pandora while driving, hence, one hand.

I'm glad I brought much laughter though. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
@ skeezix

Thanks, mate. :pandora2ut4: B)

yoursire.jpg

OpenTheBox said:
2) I intend to plug this into the aux port of my car stereo. The question was meant for operation of the Pandora while driving, hence, one hand.

I'm sorry to say this, but that's what causes wrecks. I can't count the number of times I've seen some sorry bastard run into people because he/she was on the phone.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
I'm sorry to say this, but that's what causes wrecks. I can't count the number of times I've seen some sorry bastard run into people because he/she was on the phone.

-God Ginrai
If he'd (somehow) dock the pandora to his dash, i think it wouldnt be (atleast much) more dangerous than what i do normally when driving = pressing next on the pioneer.
But using it one-handed (no dock) would be akin (in level of dangerousness) to me writing SMS on my phone while driving = i wont do it while "in-town", but i've done it driving my 50km commute on route 25....

Please tell me the typical times of day you can be found doing this, and on what stretches of Route 25. So I know when to COMPLETELY avoid the area.

God Ginrai said:
OpenTheBox said:

-God Ginrai

Talking to someone in the car carries the same level of risk as talking on a cellphone. Any conversation is what causes problems. That's why anti-cellphone laws fail so hard. Not only are they not enforced, but hands-free talking is exactly the same. Listening to the radio also carries similar risks, but it's not as high because you aren't thinking about it as much.

I've actually been in the car with my uncle while he was answering emails on his laptop while driving. He is a scarily good driver.

Rathum said:
Talking to someone in the car carries the same level of risk as talking on a cellphone. Any conversation is what causes problems. That's why anti-cellphone laws fail so hard. Not only are they not enforced, but hands-free talking is exactly the same. Listening to the radio also carries similar risks, but it's not as high because you aren't thinking about it as much.

I've actually been in the car with my uncle while he was answering emails on his laptop while driving. He is a scarily good driver.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety#As_compared_to_conversation_with_a_passenger
You give more attention to someone you cannot see than to someone you do. Talking to a passenger has not been proven to cause significantly increased risk, but put a phone in between and your concentration provably drops drastically. There are a lot of suggested reasons why in car conversations don't seem to affect driver concentration as much as cell phone usage (and not at all in some cases), but nothing conclusive. You're right about the hands free though, it makes no difference if you're hands free or holding a phone to your ear, and there are reams of studies that prove it.

WizardStan said:
Rathum said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety#As_compared_to_conversation_with_a_passenger
You give more attention to someone you cannot see than to someone you do. Talking to a passenger has not been proven to cause significantly increased risk, but put a phone in between and your concentration provably drops drastically. There are a lot of suggested reasons why in car conversations don't seem to affect driver concentration as much as cell phone usage (and not at all in some cases), but nothing conclusive. You're right about the hands free though, it makes no difference if you're hands free or holding a phone to your ear, and there are reams of studies that prove it.

The wikipedia article actually talks about the studies I was thinking about. The AAA study looks particularly damning.

"In contrast, the University of Illinois meta-analysis concluded that passenger conversations were just as costly to driving performance as cell phone ones.[7] AAA ranks passengers as the third most reported cause of distraction-related accidents at 11 percent, compared to 1.5 percent for cellular telephones.[9] A simulation study funded by the American Transportation Research Board concluded that driving events that require urgent responses may be influenced by in-vehicle conversations, and that there is little practical evidence that passengers adjusted their conversations to changes in the traffic. It concluded that drivers' training should address the hazards of both mobile phone and passenger conversations.[22]"

mali said:
4) Port Sybian? Hey, it's Open Source!

The bloke that wrote a fair chunk of the symbian OS is a friend of mine. He knows about the Pandora too. Once I get mine and he has a play on it I guarantee he'll be pre ordering from batch two LOL.

BaDToaD said:
mali said:

The bloke that wrote a fair chunk of the symbian OS is a friend of mine. He knows about the Pandora too. Once I get mine and he has a play on it I guarantee he'll be pre ordering from batch two LOL.
Hehe, that's cool :)
Tbh, it was just an apparently failed joke :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybian

mali said:
BaDToaD said:
mali said:

I got the joke, but didn't feel like calling attention to it <_<

mali said:
BaDToaD said:
mali said:

Wow. Just. Wow. So much info about masturbation.

(naw)mcx said:
mali said:
BaDToaD said:
mali said:

Wow. Just. Wow. So much info about masturbation.

Wikipedia has a suspiciously high amount of information on that subject.

WizardStan said:

That`s probably because when you have the person you are conversing with, Actually in the vehicle with you, You can look at them during the conversation (Which we do naturally), Thus not over straining our other senses (Such as hearing) Which are used exclusively when talking on a mobile phone.

Safety tip: Share your senses. :)

Trooper

Rathum said:
"In contrast, the University of Illinois meta-analysis concluded that passenger conversations were just as costly to driving performance as cell phone ones.[7] AAA ranks passengers as the third most reported cause of distraction-related accidents at 11 percent, compared to 1.5 percent for cellular telephones.[9] A simulation study funded by the American Transportation Research Board concluded that driving events that require urgent responses may be influenced by in-vehicle conversations, and that there is little practical evidence that passengers adjusted their conversations to changes in the traffic. It concluded that drivers' training should address the hazards of both mobile phone and passenger conversations.[22]"
Two problems with the study, though: correlation does not equal causation (conversations going on are reported, but there could be other factors that weren't reported); and it doesn't account for accidents per capita, there are likely far more people driving with passengers than talking on the phone. 11 percent seems high compared to that 1.5 percent, but it could be that that 1.5 percent means 1 in 200 people on phones get in an accident vs that 11 percent means 1 in 10000 people having a passenger conversation get in an accident.
When brought into a controlled scientific study, passenger conversations cause an inconsistent level of distraction to the driver: some people have no distraction, others have some noticeable distraction, and no one is absolutely certain why, although a lot of psychs have their theories. Cell phone usage, however, consistently cause distraction, whether it is while holding the phone or hands free. I really hate these "hands free only" laws.

Anywho, we were talking about Pandora. It sure is pretty, isn't it? :D

Laurencevde said:
(5): Palm already made one, for the pre.
Not quite. It's a commercial program made by Motion Apps, based probably on the same Access code that also powers the N900 Palm emulator. http://www.motionapps.com/classic/overview/
I'm not sure if there is an open source base to it... Maybe we could get a commercial port.

Back