My Personal Portfolio

DBH

Website
nicholas.piresonline.com
I just wanted to show you my portfolio that I was slogging away working on, I finally finished my first fully flash based modular website.

Best viewed with FireFox and Flash 8 +

Comments etc welcome...

If you spot any errors please let me know! Thanks much appreciated!

My Portfolio!

FYI: Linux hates Flash 8, use Flash 7 if at all possible (until Adobe gets their act together).

I had a problem with the site, after entering, the mouse completely vanished. I could get it back by right clicking to get the flash menu.

Edit: I just tried it in Internet Explorer, and it's completely different. I have never had problems with flash in firefox before.

Edit2: Okay it's fine now, I had to update flash on firefox. Nice site by the way :)

Yeah, nice site.

One criticism: Are you looking to get in to professional web design? If so, you may want to consider a non-flash alternative version that loads when flash is not available.
I have flash blocked by default, and the majority of disabled users can't use it at all.

Sorry, one of my jobs is website accessibility ;)

Mudi posted on Jul 28 2006 at 01:43 AM said:
FYI: Linux hates Flash 8, use Flash 7 if at all possible (until Adobe gets their act together).
ditto, but Adobe is releasing 9 for Linux Mac and Win all at once so we shall be good then.

also I hate how people make sites for specific browsers, it's so stupid, they should aim to make a site that works well with all browsers, not just one. IE does suck tho. I personally use Opera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi thanks for comments!

I'll put the HTML version on my to do list!. Reason I used Flash 8+ is because the ActionScript makes use of Flash 8 specific functionality. The site works in IE but well since using FireFox I don't like IE. The only difference between IE and FireFox is the splash page that the image hotspot links don't work in IE for some reason but in FireFox they do don't know why. Otherwise they are like for like. Oh yeah and another thing IE's native .PNG support is crap. It couldn't even support transparencies properly. Had to use a JavaScript hack to get the .PNGs rendered via DirectX in the browser for the splash logo to appear properly in IE so I didnt specifically optimise it just for FireFox ;)

I think later on once I start getting familiar with the GP2X im gonna put a GP2X section on there :)

EDIT: You mentioned Flash 9 available for Win and Linux at same time?? Ive already got Flash 9 for FF on my PC maybe its already out for Linux as well then.

I also do not use flash for web browsing. When I want to play arcade games, or watch google/youtube videos, then I turn it on temporarily. Anything you can do with flash except for smooth scaling can be done with better faster simpler alternatives.

Mudi posted on Jul 28 2006 at 06:43 AM said:

DemonStar55 posted on Jul 28 2006 at 12:26 AM said:
ditto, but Adobe is releasing 9 for Linux Mac and Win all at once so we shall be good then.

Unfortunately incorrect, FP9 for windows is already out and FP9 for MacOSX is in public beta. Linux is still in "When it's done" state.

Runs a tiny bit slow (mouse lags) on my AMD K6-2 400mhz. I guess flash is just a bloated pig, but whatever.

Firefox 1.5.0.5

Blah posted on Jul 31 2006 at 12:15 PM said:
Runs a tiny bit slow (mouse lags) on my AMD K6-2 400mhz. I guess flash is just a bloated pig, but whatever.

Firefox 1.5.0.5
Flash has always been a bloated pig. IMO, if you're not making/watching games or videos with it, you shouldn't even touch it.

Back