My prayers go out to the people of Japan...

Man, there are a lot of earthquakes that cause tsunami lately. Japan isn't the 3rd world so I bet it won't be as bad as the huge one that hit the 3rd world that was in 2004 if I remember correctly. I'll be praying for them also, there is little I can do besides that as I'm sure Japan has it under control, they probably won't need any foreign help with this.

It's probably too early to ask. Not that gamers are totally starved for disaster related updates...

DOxRv.jpg

Kind of amusing.

Shame. A real shame. And I hear that the west coast of the US (alongside various countries in South America) is next on the hit list.

That is truly awful. It really puts things in perspective. No matter how much we advance as a society, nature is still one bad Mother.

My thoughts and hopes for the best are with all those in Japan, those who have people out there, and the other countries that have been and will be affected. It's all I can really say.

I've only been in two earthquakes in my life, really small ones, and it is still scares the crap out of you and a realization about how insignificant you really are in the whole scheme of things slaps you across the face. It's really an eye-opener.

I can't find any info about it yet but every time there is a big quake or a volcano goes off Yellowstone shows a spike in activity, I say spike because there is always seismic activity there. If Yellowstone goes then the US won't need politicians to screw the country over anymore as there won't be much left of it after that. I'd rather go in the explosion, it will probably be something akin to the 2009 film 'The Road' for all the survivors on planet earth after it blows.

Yep, we Homo sapiens are pretty much just big ants when it comes to what the earth or the infinity of space is capable of. Find meaning in God or Money and enjoy it while it lasts, you're not here forever.

EDIT:

Yeah, this is how I feel during an earthquake:

Caution: Lots of swearing. I don't swear quite so profusely under pressure, but yeah, I'd be freaking out also.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/S9UQXw3nPUQ?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
What's this about Yellowstone again?
Ok, I just searched and this site(took the site out because yeah, it was a little kooky, just Google 'Yellowstone Volcano') came up first on a Google search and it might be a little out there as far as the potential weirdo that made it but yeah. . .

When I was in grade school in the late 80's and early 90's some studies into Yellowstone has put fourth the theory that underneath it is the biggest volcano known to man, if it goes it will be the biggest eruption that has been on this planet since man has been on it, not since recorded history, but pretty much since mammals appeared. It has the potential to block out the sun for hundreds of years. Even with that the most scary part is whenever there is volcano or earthquake activity anywhere in the world there is a spike in activity in Yellowstone. Nothing big yet, but when I was a kid park rangers would tell tourists that but now they kinda don't want to say that since it scares people off from visiting a second time.

If you go there it is beautiful, one of the most beautiful places on earth, but when you are walking around the hot pots and watching a glass of water ripple when you're within 20 miles of said hot pots you realize that yeah, there is a lot of pent up power there. Mount St. Helens is closely related to Yellowstone, in fact it was that volcano that started the real study of the possible danger of Yellowstone. It is said that if Mount St. Helens didn't blow then Yellowstone would have.

These things are hard to predict though and there are a lot of data that says Yellowstone won't go for a long time so I wouldn't base my life around it. No matter where you go though you can't escape it, well, short of getting off the planet, it will be a global catastrophe, mainly affecting food crops and causing starvation since it will block out the sun.

I however do not study this for a living and this is stuff I leaned in grade school, like 20 years ago, maybe it has all been proven wrong now. Reading elsewhere I am wrong about not erupting since mammals appeared, but the last time it erupted it caused mass extinctions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, and I thought living on Long Island as an adult would be expensive enough. Now I'll have to figure out a way to grow food without sun as well. <_<

Great, and I thought living on Long Island as an adult would be expensive enough. Now I'll have to figure out a way to grow food without sun as well. <_<

You can relax. It won't be a concern after the fast-approaching zombie apocalypse.

First Godzilla, now this. Terrible. Too soon?

People don't seem to understand when I call this event "awesome." It's the definition of awesome. It inspires awe. An awe of the awesome power of nature. The word "awesome" is far, far too overused in reference to completely inane things which are definitely not awesome.

The sight of a carpet of water rolling across the countryside carrying burning buildings is, simply put, fucking awesome.

I totally see where the people who simply stand and stare at the chaos are coming from- I don't think I could find it in me to run, the sheer power and chaos of it all is transfixing.

There have been so many earth shattering natural disasters lately, that I can't help but think; are we next?

I like to think of it more like

awesome: being in awe of something good

awful: being in awe of something bad

Back