My Soul Died A Little Today.

emcee said:
mali said:
Your screen was broken before already, IIRC :p
Mweston said it's hard to do and ED said it's possible to do, so someone with enough skill can do it apparently. People with two left hands shouldn't attempt it, imo.

I didn't break it any worse. I think the real issue though is that there are actually two LCD cables, one that's part of the screen, and a second, that that one connects to. The second cable goes into the hinge, and I would assume into the base of the Pandora to connect to the board. I'm pretty sure (if someone knows otherwise, correct me if I'm wrong) that's the one with the issue. So, more than just lid and hinge would have to be disassembled.

Yep, it's the cable you suspect.

So I have to take my Pandora apart, since I'm having LCD issues. But, I'll get some help for that. I have a friend who's pretty good with fiddly little devices like this. I've replaced a few laptop motherboards before, though. I doubt it could be much more complicated than that. Really, it just taking your time, keeping tracking of screws, and remembering how it came apart so you can do the same thing in reverse when you're done. Oh, and just use common sense when you tighten the screws back down, it's a small electronic, not a jet engine.

Well - you need at least a new LCD cable AND a new hinge.
Removing the cable means completely removing the top lid from the base, and the hinge is one-way (so you need to break it to open it up).

Apart from that, it's certainly possible - did that on the few units I got back from my customers.

Last edited:
I firmly believe my lcd cable is dying on me too. I am seeing LCD tinting different colors, screen tearing... and subtle horizontal lines going through the screen. When I place consistent light pressure where the bezel is ...it disappears temporarily until it returns to its previous symptoms.

its not terrible during gaming or internet browsing but very noticable during video viewing.... what should be my next step return it or gather a quick fix?

I posted my Pandora back to GBAX about 15 minutes ago. Even though it was borked, it gave me a special feeling just to have it and hold it. I will miss you, little Pandora, you were great for reading books and chatting on IRC.

EvilDragon said:
Removing the cable means completely removing the top lid from the base, and the hinge is one-way (so you need to break it to open it up).

Apart from that, it's certainly possible - did that on the few units I got back from my customers.

Well, I think I should not mess with it then, I am just leaving my Pandora wide open every time for now, hoping that the cable lasts until mass shipping resumes.

Damn I don't want to part with it. Don't you want a weekly vacation on Brazil ED!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hitnrun said:
EvilDragon said:

Well, I think I should not mess with it then, I am just leaving my Pandora wide open every time for now, hoping that the cable lasts until mass shipping resumes.

Damn I don't want to part with it. Don't you want a weekly vacation on Brazil ED!!

;) While I'd love to go on another vacation, I guess I don't have time ;)

We got cables and hinges though, so no need to wait for the next mass shipping. It can be fixed, we don't need more boards :)

Last edited:
emcee said:
It wasn't that hard.
Yeah i know, but can you change the LCD cable without taking out the hinge, which (if you can do it) will break it?

EDIT: Didnt notice that I had missed a page of posts...

My soul (for the Pandora) died a little today.
A leak/confirmation said that Sony would be releasing Xperia/Android smartphones that double-down as a PSP.
I wanted this for so long, now it just feels like it has killed all other smartphones for me.
:(

Kangal said:
My soul (for the Pandora) died a little today.
A leak/confirmation said that Sony would be releasing Xperia/Android smartphones that double-down as a PSP.
I wanted this for so long, now it just feels like it has killed all other smartphones for me.
:(

Well, it also died for me - but for a completely different fact:
I don't like how the gaming industry moves currently.

For me, a phone is a phone, a gaming handheld is a gaming handheld.

I played on an iPhone once. Except for the missing controls, I was pissed by the fact that someone called while playing, which interrupted gameplay.

Now the new PSPphone-thingy might have gaming controls - however, I still don't want to be interrupted by a phone call while playing.
Switching off the phone is no real solution - I want people to reach me, but I want my phone to ring - without interrupting gameplay...

It seems the classic videogame console and handheld area is dieing :(

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
You can fill this niche quite easily ;) Think positive :)

EvilDragon said:

Look at the innovation of the 3DS which blew away E3-2010. Finally it has a decent analog stick too, & I think they are here to stay!

Handheld gaming with "Real controls" are far from dead.

CapcomSuicide said:
EvilDragon said:

Look at the innovation of the 3DS which blew away E3-2010. Finally it has a decent analog stick too, & I think they are here to stay!

Handheld gaming with "Real controls" are far from dead.

Well, it's only the 3DS... no other real handheld coming so far.

And what about next-gen console gaming like XBox, etc.?

Some people think the current one will be the last "classic" generation.
The next one will combine the internet even more with the gaming console, letting you play games on a pay-while-you-play-basis, etc.

I'm not fond of that - I love to collect games physically...

Last edited:
This is the time where enthusiast like you change the whole business :D by not changing it!

When things get really big people start looking for the gems. Or I might just be living in the past like yesterday's jam.

*bosbeetle puts on another vinyl.

Gotta admit ED, having a physical copy is a great thing.
It sets a barrier to all users, but in a good sense. I mean the PSP-Go, if you buy one on eBay the seller will advertise something like (with ... games), but actually as soon as you log on with different credentials the games are auto-deleted.
So what happens to the games? Well they're lost forever if the original owner (ie seller) moves onto another platform (very very likely these days). If that original owner decided to return, he/she would need to download all of them again. Guess what, data is very expensive here in Australia, good on you Sony.
What if data is cheap, good luck waiting hours if your connection is slow (also common occurance).
If I had a physical copy I can take it with me (only portability hindered), choose to sell it, loan it to a friend, no need to download (time and $ wasted) it, if my device stuff's up and I got a replacement.

But ED I have to disagree with the "getting a phone call during a game" experience.
If I had a PSP and got a call. I need to pause the PSP, got through my pockets, see the caller (family or ex?), talk/decline, put PSP into pocket if I want to talk, after talking/declining put the phone back into pocket, take PSP out, resume game.

Too many steps compared with:
Playing a game, game pauses automatically and the caller is displayed, talk/decline, game screen is now displayed, choose to resume (or head to homescreen for other functions).
Simple, no juggling and rushing with pockets.

Kangal said:
But ED I have to disagree with the "getting a phone call during a game" experience.
If I had a PSP and got a call. I need to pause the PSP, got through my pockets, see the caller (family or ex?), talk/decline, put PSP into pocket if I want to talk, after talking/declining put the phone back into pocket, take PSP out, resume game.

Too many steps compared with:
Playing a game, game pauses automatically and the caller is displayed, talk/decline, game screen is now displayed, choose to resume (or head to homescreen for other functions).

Well, it depends on the game you play, I guess. With strategy games, no problem.
But when I'm playing a Jump'n'Run, currently doing a complicated jump or fighting a boss in a shmup, I'd continue to play a few seconds after the critical part is over, pause and then grab my phone.
If it automatically pauses while you're doing the jump or while you're moving away from some bullets, you will most likely die as soon as you continue :)

Last edited:
quartercast said:
I posted my Pandora back to GBAX about 15 minutes ago. Even though it was borked, it gave me a special feeling just to have it and hold it. I will miss you, little Pandora, you were great for reading books and chatting on IRC.
You said it was serving as nothing more than an external battery in the other thread...

EvilDragon said:
Kangal said:

Well, it depends on the game you play, I guess. With strategy games, no problem.
But when I'm playing a Jump'n'Run, currently doing a complicated jump or fighting a boss in a shmup, I'd continue to play a few seconds after the critical part is over, pause and then grab my phone.
If it automatically pauses while you're doing the jump or while you're moving away from some bullets, you will most likely die as soon as you continue :)

Have to agree with that. If I was playing Castlevania, just about managing to finish off a boss that had been getting on my wick for days, low health, about to deliver a killing blow... -Game Pause-*ring ring* *Hello?! go away I'm fighting the nefarious forces of Dracula" *click* -death- That game phone would be on the floor in several pieces.

Sugar_Kane said:
EvilDragon said:
Kangal said:

Have to agree with that. If I was playing Castlevania, just about managing to finish off a boss that had been getting on my wick for days, low health, about to deliver a killing blow... -Game Pause-*ring ring* *Hello?! go away I'm fighting the nefarious forces of Dracula" *click* -death- That game phone would be on the floor in several pieces.
I'm sure there's a setting to allow you to ignore the phone calls, if nothing else airplane mode ought to do that.

Personally, I think that by and large convergence is bunk. Casual games on my Nexus One work well, but the complete lack of proper controls greatly limits the possibilities. While music, communications and even the camera work reasonably well, none of that works as well as a real dedicated device. The Pandora ought to do well with Music and communications given the proper items, but that's probably about as good as it's going to get save a next gen Pandora.

hedwards said:
Sugar_Kane said:
EvilDragon said:
Kangal said:

I'm sure there's a setting to allow you to ignore the phone calls, if nothing else airplane mode ought to do that.

But then you cant be called. I am with ED here and I dont like the "put everything possible in a phone"-hype I still think no phone should need a camera for example.

I'd like a phone for phonecalls, a camera for taking pictures and a pandora to play games on. You know what Ive got those allready :D

Bosbeetle said:
But then you cant be called. I am with ED here and I dont like the "put everything possible in a phone"-hype I still think no phone should need a camera for example.

I'd like a phone for phonecalls, a camera for taking pictures and a pandora to play games on. You know what Ive got those allready :D
Priorities man, either you're serious about winning or you're willing to be interrupted. Although for those that are dating or married, that could be a tough call. Beat Zelda or get beaten by wife. That's a real tough call.

Why does the game have to pause? Can't the phone just ring like it always does, and let you pause on your own?

Back