My Very Own 100 Favourite Games Ever

TwoHeadedBoy

Website
Visit site
Here it is, it's taken a while to think up, but after several weeks of procrastination, I think I have finally come up with my all-time top 100 games. Forgive the absence of Mario 64, Zelda games, and the complete omittance of PlayStation games: I jumped straight from MegaDrive to Dreamcast, so there's a generation missing here. Any suggestions of good PlayStation games would be welcomed, but ultimately dismissed, as I have vowed never to buy a single Sony product. Anyway, here's my list.

100-The Last Blade (NeoGeo)
99-Breath of Fire (SNES)
98-Golden Sun (GBA)
97-Sonic Spinball (MD)
96-Decap Attack (MD)
95-Astro Boy: Omega Factor (GBA)
94-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (MD)
93-Shock Troopers: Second Squad (Arcade)
92-Puyo Puyo (Various...)
91-Beyond Oasis: The Story of Thor (MD)
90-Pocky & Rocky (SNES)
89-BioMotor Unitron (NGPC)
88-Aladdin (MD)
87-Baku Baku Animals (GG)
86-Rolling Thunder (ZX)
85-Asteroids (Arcade)
84-The Simpsons (Arcade)
83-Alien III (SMS)
82-UniRally (SNES)
81-Soap Panic (NES)
80-OutRun (Arcade)
79-Harvest Moon (SNES)
78-Skeleton Krew (MD)
77-Sonic Adventure (DC)
76-Pikmin (GC)
75-Marble Madness (Arcade)
74-Columns (MD)
73-Mickey & Donald in World of Illusion (MD)
72-Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (GB)
71-Rainbow Islands (Arcade)
70-Super Fantasy Zone (MD)
69-Parodius (PC-Engine)
68-Gauntlet II (ZX)
67-Duke Nukem 3D (PC)
66-Alex Kidd in Miracle World (SMS)
65-Cannon Fodder (MD)
64-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
63-ToeJam & Earl (MD)
62-Sonic CD (MD-CD)
61-Rollercoaster Tycoon (PC)
60-Pokemon Red/Blue (GB)
59-Snow Bros. (Arcade)
58-Sonic the Hedgehog (MD)
57-Rocket Knight Adventures (MD)
56-Neo Pocket Tennis (NGPC)
55-Chu Chu Rocket! (DC)
54-SpyHunter (Arcade)
53-The Secret of Monkey Island (PC)
52-Megaman X (SNES)
51-Road Rash II (MD)
50-Worms Armageddon (PC)
49-Dig Dug (Arcade)
48-Contra (NES)
47-Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC)
46-Lemmings (PC)
45-James Pond II: Robocod (MD)
44-Dynamite Headdy (MD)
43-Castlevania: Bloodlines (SNES)
42-Golden Axe (MD)
41-Metroid Fusion (GBA)
40-R-Type (PC-Engine)
39-Earthworm Jim (MD)
38-The Secret of Mana (SNES)
37-Ghouls N'Ghosts (MD)
36-Contra III: Hardcorps (SNES)
35-Power Stone (DC)
34-Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (SMS)
33-Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy (MD)
32-Savage Quest (Arcade) [if anyone knows where this can be found in the UK, lemme know!]
31-Super Mario Bros. (NES)
30-PacMan (Arcade)
29-The New Zealand Story (SMS)
28-Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament (MD)
27-Super Metroid (SNES)
26-Yoshi's Island (SNES)
25-F-Zero X (N64)
24-Kirby's Dreamland (NES)
23-Final Fantasy IV (SNES)
22-DragonBall Advance Adventure (GBA)
21-Mega Bomberman (MD)
20-Star Wing (SNES)
19-Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES)
18-Little Big Adventue 2: Twinsen's Odysee (PC)
17-Crazy Taxi (DC)
16-Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
15-Streets of Rage 2 (MD)
14-Tetris (GB)
13-Puzzle Bobble (Arcade)
12-Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble (SNES)
11-Super Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GC)
10-Advance Wars (GBA)
09-Soul Calibur (DC)
08-Super Mario World (SNES)
07-Chrono Trigger (SNES)
06-Ikaruga (DC)
05-Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)
04-Sonic the Hedgehog 3/Sonic & Knuckles (MD) [they can count as one, right?]
03-Metal Slug (NeoGeo)
02-Gunstar Heroes (MD)
01-Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (MD) [the first game I ever owned, never bettered...]

And that's my list as it stands. Is good, no? I invite comments and other people's lists!
Oh, and if anyone has any of these two lists handy, could they post them please?
The 100 Greatest Games Ever lists that were published by Gamesmaster and CVG in around 2000, that is. I have the actual magazines, but they've been in the less-than-watertight shed over the winter, and I fear the worst...

EDIT:
I just remembered Sam & Max Hit the Road. Ah well.

:lol: You're missing out on a LOT in that skipped generation... A LOT. If you don't want to ever buy a Sony product for some reason, you can emulate most of the PSX, as well as N64 library, and parts of the Saturn library, on a decent computer. The number of classics are innumerable on those systems and your list, while fair so far, is incredibly lacking without the inclusion of gems from those systems.

i was going to criticize the point you missed like 30 other game machines, but then i remembered this was your list, so i assumed you've never played a Sega Saturn/Atari 2600/5200/Colecovision/Intellevision/Vectrex/PC-engine(turbo Grafx 16)/N64/3DO/and probably some others so it's all good.

One thing though, Turtles in Time for SNES is waaaay better than Hyperstone Heist.

Yeah, I only recently got an N64 emulator, been enjoying Snowboard Kids and Mario 64, but haven't gotten round to PSX emulation yet.

I can't really explain properly why I don't want to buy any Sony stuff, it could be their arrogance (the whole UMD/Memory Stick thing doesn't help), it could be their insistance on making their stuff look "sexy", or it could be their overall lack of charm. I know at least 246 people with a PSX/PS2, and one with a PSP, and I just can't seem to get any enjoyment out of the games they have. Oddworld was fun, and I really liked PaRappa the Rapper, but the rest don't really jump out at me and say "LOOK HOW MUCH FUN I AM!". Dragon Quest on the PS2 looks good, but is it really worth buying a whole new system for one game?

As for Saturn, I've always loved Sega, and the Saturn appeared on my birthday/xmas lists for 3 years running back in the day, but my parents were adament not to let me have a new games console until the MegaDrive broke. Once a whole era of gaming had passed and it STILL wasn't broken, they gave in and got us a Dreamcast. But in the time before Dreamcast, I was fully aware of every game coming out on the Saturn, and yes, many of them may've appeared on this list, had I actually played them :s

Thanks for the comments though, as I say, this'll be revised over and over and over. I get like that sometimes.

well you could always go this route for sony products. Some of the best PS1 games are not Sony. Like FF7 is Square, and so one, that may be a loophole for you :)

You could just buy a PSX/PS2 second-hand. The money won't go to sony, it will go to the previous owner... if you really want to be weird about it like that :p And I'm assuming you hate Apple as well?

iignotus posted on Apr 20 2006 at 05:09 PM said:
You could just buy a PSX/PS2 second-hand. The money won't go to sony, it will go to the previous owner... if you really want to be weird about it like that :p And I'm assuming you hate Apple as well?

That's an okay idea that one, the PSONE is, whilst annoyingly sexy, an attractive proposition. The whole loopwhole idea sounds good too. Whilst I don't HATE Apple, it'd still take a lot to convince me to get an iPod :p

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm sorry but i can't resist.

If you think the PS1 is sexy, i'd to see your view on woman. :p :p :p

PS1, well at least the first version, is ugly.

Anyhow, back on topic. I'm have to commend your effort regardless of what systems you have or have played. I'd have to start from Oddessy2-PSP, owning over 30 systems from 1977-2005 would be hell for me to try to get my favorite 100. I'd be in constant arguement with myself.

PS1, I'm assuming, means the first clunky one. PSone meaning the second less clunky one without the whopping extension ports on the back that you don't know what to do with. And the same for PS2 and PStwo (for some reason, the slimline one just doesn't cut it for me).

Glad you've got some DC stuff on there, especially Ikaruga.

Also, if you're going to buy a PS2 for just one game, a) get a fat one, they're cheaper, and b) get it for Kingdom Hearts 2. The most beautiful game I have ever played. *sigh*

Kingdom Hearts 2, that's the one with all the Disney characters, right? I have to admit there are a lot of RPGs I would happily buy a PS2 for, especially now that Dragon Quest is out. That looks TOO good. Would you call Yoshi's Island a beautiful game? I would.

There are quite a number of good RPGs on the PS2 (KH, KH2, FFX, DQ). If you like RPGs, I'd advise you to buy one.

Back