My views on the Pandora 2's specifications

takato14

I'd like to just throw my two cents in on the specs of the future Pandora 2.

Processing Power:
-- 2+GHz dual-core ARM CPU
-- PowerVR SGX544 or higher
-- 2GB RAM

The CPU should not be anything more than a Dual-core so that it will overclock well but still have a significant improvement in performance over the original Pandora. 2 GHz or higher core clocks will ensure that most Nintendo 64 titles will run at full speed, and the dual-core could even hold the potential to run titles from the PlayStation 2 and GameCube. 2GB of RAM is plenty, but we could probably squeeze in 4GB if we really wanted to. Don't see much point in that though. The SGX544 is relatively the same GPU that the PS Vita has, and it can handle 133 million polygons/second. If there is a better GPU available when the P2 is conceived (which there most likely will be), use that instead.

Audio:
-- ESS Sabre 9018 DAC chip
-- Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 amp

The ESS Sabre chip is a high-end DAC designed for audiophiles. It is supposed to be the best DAC in the world. The audio hardware of the original Pandora is great, and I'd love to see it get even better. The TPA6120A2 is similar to the amp that the original Pandora uses, but has almost twice the output power. This would enable the Pandora 2 to drive virtually any headphone, both audiophile and consumer-grade alike. We could keep the amp the same though, because it's plenty for most headphones. 

As a note, I don't know for sure if these parts would work together, because I didn't take the time to check. The DAC is the most important part of audio next to the music files themselves, so that should take priority. Additionally, the ESS chip is very expensive. Some alternatives to it (haven't researched these): PCM1794DB, AKM4396

Input/Output:
-- 5" 1280x720 OLED screen (NO PenTile matrix, anything but RGB is unacceptable)
-- Resistive touch screen w/ multi-touch capabilities
-- Four face buttons, Four shoulder buttons, D-Pad, Two analog nubs, backlit QWERTY keyboard

A 1280x720 screen on a 5" isn't impossible, but I don't know if it can be done without using a PenTile matrix (RGBG opposed to RGB).  A PenTile matrix will significantly reduce the clarity of the screen and that is absolutely unacceptable in my opinion. qHD (960x540) would be fine. Resistive is the best touch tech for accuracy, nothing else would be usable on the Pandora 2. Multi-touch would fix any issues with Android games. Don't change the buttons, because they all work very nicely. Very responsive and have a great feel. The Pandora 2's analog nubs, however, should be updated with something better. The Pandora's nubs don't have enough resistance or range; it's far too easy to reach the extremes of the nub's axes. The Nintendo 3DS Circle Pad is much nicer. Add the L2/R2 buttons for PS1(and maybe PS2) emulation. I'd love a backlit keyboard for night time use. 

A few other extra things:
-- I think a small 2-color OLED screen on the outside of the Pandora's case would be a great addition. It could display the time/date, what track you're listening to if you're running RockBox, Battery percentage, etc.

-- Some way to pause the music you're listening to without having to open up the Pandora would be nice as well. Perhaps a small button on the front of the handheld. 

-- I'd like to see integrated 3G/4G capabilities in the Pandora 2. Not a necessity but it would make the device more appealing to the average consumer, and the more we can do that, the better.

Well, those are my thoughts. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
your last topic was about making the pandora thinner and more "sleek". this one is about cramming more stuff in there. welcome to the community

TheHomer.jpg

This is how most people seem to think the Pandora 2 should be.. glad to see you're a little more down to earth. That said!

DJweston loves his audio. so he'll likely make it awesome simply for his own sake.

Mobile data 3g/4g - NO dice.

Two-colour backscreen - NO dice.

Additional pause button? Covered by the four shoulder buttons.

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with a Super AMOLED screen...

And over the last year the screen quality has degraded - I've been getting lines appearing in the actual substrate - not dead pixels, but within the printed AMLOED...

I'd stay away from organic LEDs for a product expected to last years, rather than be replaced on an 18 month cycle.

But that's a personal opinion from my experiences with one product.

No organic stuff please.

Some little insect in the touchscreen of my Nintendo DS is enough organic screen for me. :D

I don't want my Pandora to become alive.

Maybe she won't like me :unsure: .

1280x720 ?

Hope there is an option for large fonts for old guys like me.   :)

I'd like some really decent speakers with decent volume and sound quality and fully working BT of whatever standard is the current best at the time of P2.

your last topic was about making the pandora thinner and more "sleek". this one is about cramming more stuff in there. welcome to the community
 I'm not really adding much, I'm mostly improving what's already in there. The only additions are the backlit keyboard, L2/R2 buttons, and the little screen in the top that I suggested.
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with a Super AMOLED screen...

And over the last year the screen quality has degraded - I've been getting lines appearing in the actual substrate - not dead pixels, but within the printed AMLOED...

I'd stay away from organic LEDs for a product expected to last years, rather than be replaced on an 18 month cycle.

But that's a personal opinion from my experiences with one product.
OLED screens have been getting better over time, but the degradation over time is a problem. I said OLED because it's thinner, more energy efficient, and gives a better picture. 
Maybe QD-LED screens will be available by then. Lol.

Wouldn't 1280x800 be better -  then you could run stuff at 1024x768 without scaling

Generally, I'd be happy to let ED get on with the P2 if/when time/money are available

He's reliable, open and hopelessly geeky B)

Wouldn't 1280x800 be better -  then you could run stuff at 1024x768 without scaling

Generally, I'd be happy to let ED get on with the P2 if/when time/money are available

Yeah 1820x800 would be better, but a different aspect ratio makes the screen taller, and thus harder to fit in the handheld. 

Unless the 28nm TSMC and Samsung SoCs are much more efficient at top voltage than Exynos 5250 is 2x2GHz Cortex-A15 is probably going to be beyond what you'd want to run Pandora at. 1x2GHz when the other CPU is off may be feasible. But you shouldn't compare GHz in this scenario. Clock for clock Cortex-A15s are much more powerful than Cortex-A8. This makes listing "2GHz ARM" all but meaningless.

ES9018 looks like serious overkill. You don't need 8 channels and I doubt the performance difference is very noticeable for a 32-bit DAC with its specifications over something a little lower from them.. look at this huge premium you pay.. http://ecommerce.ismosys.com/ordering/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=34&products_id=479

Unless the 28nm TSMC and Samsung SoCs are much more efficient at top voltage than Exynos 5250 is 2x2GHz Cortex-A15 is probably going to be beyond what you'd want to run Pandora at. 1x2GHz when the other CPU is off may be feasible. But you shouldn't compare GHz in this scenario. Clock for clock Cortex-A15s are much more powerful than Cortex-A8. This makes listing "2GHz ARM" all but meaningless.

ES9018 looks like serious overkill. You don't need 8 channels and I doubt the performance difference is very noticeable for a 32-bit DAC with its specifications over something a little lower from them.. look at this huge premium you pay.. http://ecommerce.ismosys.com/ordering/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=34&products_id=479
I didn't specify which ARM core because I don't know what SoC's are available. After a little research the OMAP5430 looks about close to what I was thinking. 

The 8 channels are optional. Most DACs support 4+ channels. The performance difference is VERY noticeable, any audiophile will attest to that. Additionally, specifications don't mean much of anything as to how the end result sounds. And if you actually read it, I said it was very expensive, and gave some alternatives.

Yeah 1820x800 would be better, but a different aspect ratio makes the screen taller, and thus harder to fit in the handheld. 
Use the space next to it for a long-range wifi anntenna?

The 8 channels are optional. Most DACs support 4+ channels. The performance difference is VERY noticeable, any audiophile will attest to that. Additionally, specifications don't mean much of anything as to how the end result sounds. And if you actually read it, I said it was very expensive, and gave some alternatives.
I did actually read it. I just wanted to provide everyone else with some more useful information. Just saying it's expensive by itself is arbitrary. MWeston once told me that a $3 accelerometer I asked him about was unrealistically expensive.

Obviously the 8 channels are optional (kind of like 8 cores isn't it?).. but in this case they would appear to tangibly be adding to the price in a way we can all witness (probably also adds to part footprint). The performance difference.. between what? I'm not saying that there's no such thing as performance difference in DACs, of course there is. I'm saying that there may not be did enough of a difference between the next lower model or even lower below it, for this particular line. Have you tested them all yourself? Because that's what OPT should do before making a purchase.

I can however say with pretty high confidence that 32-bit over 24-bit gives you nothing whatsoever and I don't know what the point is supposed to be behind that one.

Back