Myriad

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Hi Folks,

Here's a thread so you can post your High scores from Myriad. Also, I was just wondering if I have made Myriad too easy. Let me know!!

TTFN,
Clare.

i got to 81180 before the game crashed while i was in space. i left it there and not too long after the batteries went out so it may not have been the game's fault.

getting that high of a score and still having at least 4 more lives i do think the game is too easy. a few changes would make the game more challenging:

1) increase the amount needed for an extra life at some point. staying at 10,000 the entire time is too generous

2) decrease the amount of powerups you get in later levels. i liked getting more powerups early on but later on it seemed like i didnt have to worry about the enemies too much cause soon i would get a powerup to destroy them. later on powerups should be an unexpected bonus and not something you kind of rely on getting.

3) increase the amount of enemies/rocks you face in later levels. or increase the rocks but just increase the difficulty of enemies. increasing the amount of enemies would make things harder but also might slow down things a bit and make it too hard if you're not careful.

I love the game but wish the game kept getting progressively more difficult no matter how far you've gotten.

i got to 81180 before the game crashed while i was in space. i left it there and not too long after the batteries went out so it may not have been the game's fault.

getting that high of a score and still having at least 4 more lives i do think the game is too easy. a few changes would make the game more challenging:

1) increase the amount needed for an extra life at some point. staying at 10,000 the entire time is too generous

2) decrease the amount of powerups you get in later levels. i liked getting more powerups early on but later on it seemed like i didnt have to worry about the enemies too much cause soon i would get a powerup to destroy them. later on powerups should be an unexpected bonus and not something you kind of rely on getting.

3) increase the amount of enemies/rocks you face in later levels. or increase the rocks but just increase the difficulty of enemies. increasing the amount of enemies would make things harder but also might slow down things a bit and make it too hard if you're not careful.

I love the game but wish the game kept getting progressively more difficult no matter how far you've gotten.
I think you're right, I'm gonna revise the difficulty levels :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Myriad got an update eh? Were you planning on trying to sneak this by us? :)

Nice try but I'm all-seeing!! Now I'm patiently waiting for the new Berzerk game you mentioned. :)

Classic Gamer posted on Dec 6 2006 at 01:34 AM said:
Myriad got an update eh? Were you planning on trying to sneak this by us? :)

Nice try but I'm all-seeing!! Now I'm patiently waiting for the new Berzerk game you mentioned. :)
Yes indeed, I was waiting for the file archive to update before I mentioned it here, it took a day or so for that to happen and you beat me to it :).

Berzerk is on the way, I am going to take my time with it as it's an important game to me, I have devious plans for this project!!!!

Edit: I have now written the maze code for Berzerk, and redesigned the robot and maze graphics to fit on the 2X screen. So it's definitely in progress....

for some reason this version has crashed twice on me while in space and having around 7,000 points. I haven't gotten any better in this version because of the crashes.

glad you revamped the difficulty and love the game but damn is it frustrating to get a crash in the middle of enjoying the game.

anyone else get this crash? it seems to happen near the beginning of the space section and takes me back to the menu in this game which is gmenu2x. everything looks kind of messed up after the crash too.

look forward to hopefully this issue being fixed and definitely am looking forward to your version of berzerk.

jbrodack posted on Dec 6 2006 at 10:18 PM said:
for some reason this version has crashed twice on me while in space and having around 7,000 points. I haven't gotten any better in this version because of the crashes.

glad you revamped the difficulty and love the game but damn is it frustrating to get a crash in the middle of enjoying the game.

anyone else get this crash? it seems to happen near the beginning of the space section and takes me back to the menu in this game which is gmenu2x. everything looks kind of messed up after the crash too.

look forward to hopefully this issue being fixed and definitely am looking forward to your version of berzerk.
I think this may be something to do with the fenix runtime. I have pm'd Puck a while back, and I thought it was sorted.

Have you used the runtime that comes with the new version of Myriad? As yet Myriad plays perfectly on my GP2X and hasn't crashed once, but I will keep hammering at it and see if I can get a crash.

jbrodack posted on Dec 6 2006 at 10:32 PM said:
i deleted my old folder and put in the entire new myriad folder to avoid any possible conflicts. only thing i changed was i made the main myriad folder name all lower case.
That should be fine. It may be that I have a real problem, but as yet I haven't found one :(.

It runs 100% fine on my PC and I have played it on the 2X for hours at a time. I will contact puck again to see if there's any new runtime updates.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Dec 6 2006 at 05:42 PM said:
jbrodack posted on Dec 6 2006 at 10:32 PM said:
i deleted my old folder and put in the entire new myriad folder to avoid any possible conflicts. only thing i changed was i made the main myriad folder name all lower case.
That should be fine. It may be that I have a real problem, but as yet I haven't found one :(.

It runs 100% fine on my PC and I have played it on the 2X for hours at a time. I will contact puck again to see if there's any new runtime updates.

I just had another crash this time around 26,000 points and in the city level. i bumped into one of the face guys while being invincible and it crashed and sent me back to the menu.

also i'm not sure but this version seems to have more slowdown than before like if you get a plasma powerup especially if there is other stuff going on or in the space levels when there are a lot of rocks.

I am running:

MK-2
2.0.0 firmware
GMenu2X
2GB SanDisk Memory card(not the fast access ones... just a blue label) :)

I have none of these issues so far... not sure why but I'll keep hammering away at it until it crashes or I fall alseep face-down on my 2X. :huh:

jbrodack posted on Dec 7 2006 at 12:36 AM said:
I just had another crash this time around 26,000 points and in the city level. i bumped into one of the face guys while being invincible and it crashed and sent me back to the menu.

also i'm not sure but this version seems to have more slowdown than before like if you get a plasma powerup especially if there is other stuff going on or in the space levels when there are a lot of rocks.
I can't understand if this version has slowdown compared to the last version as I haven't actually changed anything. Except for some variable values that control when the enemies appear, and I have moved Extra Life to every 20000 instead of 10000. If you're seeing slow downs, then it sounds very much like you're using the OLD fenix runtime that was supplied with one of the earlier versions of Myriad. The newer version doesn't have any slow down that I can see.

Plasma powerup on the space levels, do you get that powerup often on the space levels?

Can you let me know what version GP2X you have and the firmware version you're running. I might start a thread about Myriad problems asking people to report back various things, I'm not yet convinced it's my code that's causing the crashing you're seeing, the fenix runtime for the 2X still has a few problems and the more information I can pass to Puck the easier it will be for him to track down the problem.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Dec 7 2006 at 07:28 AM said:

I can't understand if this version has slowdown compared to the last version as I haven't actually changed anything. Except for some variable values that control when the enemies appear, and I have moved Extra Life to every 20000 instead of 10000. If you're seeing slow downs, then it sounds very much like you're using the OLD fenix runtime that was supplied with one of the earlier versions of Myriad. The newer version doesn't have any slow down that I can see.

Plasma powerup on the space levels, do you get that powerup often on the space levels?

Can you let me know what version GP2X you have and the firmware version you're running. I might start a thread about Myriad problems asking people to report back various things, I'm not yet convinced it's my code that's causing the crashing you're seeing, the fenix runtime for the 2X still has a few problems and the more information I can pass to Puck the easier it will be for him to track down the problem.
I am not sure, but i belive fenix has amaximum number of processes that can be active at any one time. 512 or something. I am not sure though.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Dec 7 2006 at 02:28 AM said:

my sentence structure wasn't too good there but i meant that if i get the plasma powerup (which is only in the city levels) i got slowdown. i redownloaded myriad and didn't notice the slowdown this time but still get crashes.

i have the first version gp2x (not first batch but not mk2 either) running firmware 2.1.1. it may be worth noting that on the green startup screen it still says firmware 2.0.0. everything else seems to run fine and i ran both parts of the update a couple times just to be sure.

I'm running whatever fenix runtime you supplied with myriad.

i puzzled by this whole thing as well because the previous final version i got crazy high scores and didn't crash and now the only thing you changed is the difficulty and it crashes a lot now at least for me. i seem to be the only one experiencing this though.

jbrodack posted on Dec 7 2006 at 05:37 PM said:
my sentence structure wasn't too good there but i meant that if i get the plasma powerup (which is only in the city levels) i got slowdown. i redownloaded myriad and didn't notice the slowdown this time but still get crashes.

i have the first version gp2x (not first batch but not mk2 either) running firmware 2.1.1. it may be worth noting that on the green startup screen it still says firmware 2.0.0. everything else seems to run fine and i ran both parts of the update a couple times just to be sure.

I'm running whatever fenix runtime you supplied with myriad.

i puzzled by this whole thing as well because the previous final version i got crazy high scores and didn't crash and now the only thing you changed is the difficulty and it crashes a lot now at least for me. i seem to be the only one experiencing this though.
I'm really sorry you're having problems with this version of Myriad, I'm definitely going to look hard into this.

Back