Myst 25th Anniversary Collection

PowerGod

Forum Addict!
This kickstarter could be awesome:

I just wonder if the games are REALLY made Win10 compatible... but considering the "thanks to GOG" phrase, I fear them will work as crashy as the GOG version works...

In any case this collection seems really cool to have... even just to be exposed on a shelf !! :D

Also I like this quote:
but the updated versions of the games will also make their way to digital download services, starting with GOG.com, as automatic updates.

Last edited:
[quote[ "With the help of our friends at GOG.com and CodeWeavers the games have been upgraded to run on Windows 10 and macOS 10.13 (High Sierra). "
/quote]

So just wine and DOS Wrapped versions? People paid $2m for that?

[quote[ "With the help of our friends at GOG.com and CodeWeavers the games have been upgraded to run on Windows 10 and macOS 10.13 (High Sierra). "
/quote]

So just wine and DOS Wrapped versions? People paid $2m for that?
  1. The main purpose of this Kickstarter per stated goal is enabling Cyan to get back the rights to Myst 3/4 to in turn return them to distribution, to enable Cyan to own said IP with all the implications that entails, and to make sure all the listed games have digitally available versions that work properly on modern systems.
  2. Myst started on Macintosh and the PC versions were Windows based, so DOS Wrapping isn't an option even if they wanted to try to package the original 1994 Borderbund release for PC. However as OS X isn't exactly compatible with pre OS X Macintosh software, of course the OS X version will involve going through CodeWeaver to do a professional wrapper around the Windows version.
  3. Their ability to raise substantial funds here is related to a combination of Cyan successfully relaunching with Obduction a few months ago and thus being in a position to have people paying based on nostalgia with some faith Cyan is actually back.

Last edited:
I will probably go ahead and get this. I love Cyan and the Millers, and want them to be successful.

1. The main purpose of this Kickstarter per stated goal is enabling Cyan to get back the rights to Myst 3/4 to in turn return them to distribution, to enable Cyan to own said IP with all the implications that entails, and to make sure all the listed games have digitally available versions that work properly on modern systems.
  2. Myst started on Macintosh and the PC versions were Windows based, so DOS Wrapping isn't an option even if they wanted to try to package the original 1994 Borderbund release for PC. However as OS X isn't exactly compatible with pre OS X Macintosh software, of course the OS X version will involve going through CodeWeaver to do a professional wrapper around the Windows version.
  3. Their ability to raise substantial funds here is related to a combination of Cyan successfully relaunching with Obduction a few months ago and thus being in a position to have people paying based on nostalgia with some faith Cyan is actually back.

Shows how ignorant I was there. ScummVM can play Myst and Riven though :)

This is cool. I never got into myst, I was young and just discovering FPS games on our 486. I have always wanted to play the first one though.

I never finished Myst but its a game that totally stuck with me even today. It ignited a personal interest in computer graphics.

If you haven't watched it the GDC Post Mortem on the game is a really interesting watch.

I'm trying to get through Obduction, but just like Myst theres so much wandering around aimlessly I doubt I will finish it.

I always wanted to finish Myst, but the constant random crashing made me go mad... and I didn't want to play the follow games without finishing the first... so the only game I played for very long in the serie was "Myst Online: URU Live", because I just wanted to try it, and then I was enchanted... but damn it was too much big for the time I had...

I always wanted to finish Myst, but the constant random crashing made me go mad.
Dud you try scumm like Wally said? If a old game runs well in on there it is usually better playing it through there than trying to get everything running on a modern system.

Dud you try scumm like Wally said? If a old game runs well in on there it is usually better playing it through there than trying to get everything running on a modern system.

At that time the support for the engine was still unfinished, and I had freezes and crashes even there... so I just put it away waiting for a better time... it was already difficult to follow all the game clues by themselves, so losing everytime my advancements was too much for me...

EDIT: seems like the work is not finished yet
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Mohawk/TODO

Holy crap. That is an impressive kickstarter result. I hope that being massively overfunded will not disrupt the project too much (loss of focus, wanting to do too much, etc...).

They added bonuses to also the lowest tiers, that by default should receive nothing, and NVIDIA seems interested in supporting those games and gave access to a beta driver that works with old games

The prototypes are there... I'm actually sad to not have chosen the LCD book... seems so cool...

Just received the CDs, the book will come later

The only thing that I don't like is that in the cover there's only the title, and not the number in the serie, like "Myst <number>: Title", so I'll have to use the wiki to play them in order :D

They shared the trailer for the next work in progress game named ZED, and will be made for VR.

Looking at this I think that it could be my first reason to get some VR hardware at some point.

It looks like it says VR is optional, so you can still play it without it.

Yes, but I find MYST-like games incredibly immersive even from a screen, and an exploration game like this with VR could be the best experience in my mind... looking around searching for clues totally inside a relaxing world...

I don't like VR for action games/shooting around or "fast reaction" things, or maybe games "adapted" for VR, like Batman, etc... but I always thought that MYST was made to be VR from the very beginning, so I can appreciate a game from the same devs that uses this technology.

Back