Myst!

beatgeek

Still Fresh
I recently started feeling nostalgic for revisiting the ages of Myst, and stumbled across the news update here:
http://mystonline.com/

Uru is being open-sourced! There is talk of porting to Linux! I never did try the multiplayer once it was finally available on GameTap, so this makes me really excited that I'll still get a chance, and what's more, as a community project!

Only question is - will it run on the Pandora? The minimum system requirements say:
800 Mhz Pentium III or AMD Athlon equivalent (OP is 600Mhz, but is it comparable? A 2 Ghz Conroe is NOT a 2Ghz Northwood)
256 MB system RAM (this one's ok)
32 MB NVIDIA GeForce or ATI Radeon video card (I have no idea how that translates to what the OP has)
800x600 (maybe the source code would need some hacking to get 800 x 480?)

As for the other Myst games, well, I know wine won't be an option, and not even the first Myst is listed for dosbox. They were released for Mac, though, and I know there's an emulator for the old Mac OS floating around somewhere. I gave up on it a couple years ago though, since it made Cosmic Osmo crash randomly every now and then. Maybe there's been some good development since then, I don't know.

It should work. The SGX shares memory with the CPU, so you can have up to 32 MB of VRAM in use and almost 256MB of main RAM left [Though Linux probably takes up less than Windows 95 or whatever it originally ran on]

As for the resolution, I dunno.

Myst isn't listed under dosbox because it wasn't a DOS game. It was for Windows 3.11. In theory, dosbox CAN run Win3.11, and in theory you can then run Myst (as well as a bunch of other old windows games). I did this to get Kings Quest 6 working some time ago. Only time will tell just how functional it really is though.

WizardStan said:
Myst isn't listed under dosbox because it wasn't a DOS game. It was for Windows 3.11. In theory, dosbox CAN run Win3.11, and in theory you can then run Myst (as well as a bunch of other old windows games). I did this to get Kings Quest 6 working some time ago. Only time will tell just how functional it really is though.
There's always the Playstation versions: in fact, in many ways they PS1 versions of MYST and RIVEN were superior to the PC and Mac versions - the PS1 games had full frame graphics, and the video moments (like the rollercoaster cable car rides!) in RIVEN were of a much higher quality in the PS1 versions at the time, as it had a more efficient inbuilt video compression.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget RealMyst, it kicks ass. It is fully 3D, in fact I used it with a 3D computer setup and it was amazing.

I don't know about Uru on the Pandora, it had some pretty high requirements, I recall that it needed at least a Geforce6600GT to properly enjoy.

Of course with some "distance fog" and low res textures it might be OK.

ok, i admit i was a little over-excited when i made this thread. i realize uru, if it runs, will probably have to be on absolute minimum settings, which, for a myst game, would be entirely missing the point.

i don't have the playstation versions of myst or riven, and i'm not too keen on paying for things twice, so i think i'm just going to reinstall and play the old games now, and leave the pandora for other things.

beatgeek said:
i don't have the playstation versions of myst or riven, and i'm not too keen on paying for things twice, so i think i'm just going to reinstall and play the old games now, and leave the pandora for other things.
Hah, "pay". Good one.

nubie said:
Don't forget RealMyst, it kicks ass. It is fully 3D, in fact I used it with a 3D computer setup and it was amazing.
RealMyst used the same engine for Uru, just in an earlier rev...

I don't know about Uru on the Pandora, it had some pretty high requirements, I recall that it needed at least a Geforce6600GT to properly enjoy.

Of course with some "distance fog" and low res textures it might be OK.

We'll know more once they put the source up. :D

Back