Nand Ecc Errors

NZMonkey

Still Fresh
Hi guys

Got my GP2x the other day, it's awesome! Doom, Jazz Jackrabbit, Quake, Apple II emulator, qtopia, all very cool stuff!

I got the usbnet thing going, telnetted in after booting with the SD card out, and dmesg has lots of lines of:

"Block 410 marked for retirement
ecc error unfixed on chunk 13147:0
ecc error unfixed on chunk 13147:1
ecc error unfixed on chunk 13148:0
ecc error unfixed on chunk 13148:1"

There seem to be quite a number of blocks and chunks with issues.

This link mentions that the code in the kernel that does the actual retirement may be just a TODO at this stage:
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.p...111c1a6359eafa6

Has anyone else seen this? Apparently it's relatively common for NAND to get single bit errors, and is able to map it out. Perhaps when my GP2x was flashed it ignored the bad blocks? As I'm planning on doing a bit of development on my GP2x, I'm wanting to be able to reflash it without too many issues.

Is it worth sending it back? Or is there some way to remap these bits? Dmesg is going to be pretty useless to me for playing with the kernel if the ring buffer just gets filled with ecc errors :(

Cheers for any help :)

It's normal for dmesg to get filled with ecc errors, unfortunately. If this makes your work/play* impossible to do, you can always change to a kernel that is more quiet about these things, such as Theoddbot's SquashFS or another pre-2.0 firmware.

* - delete as appropriate.

Back