Need Major Help With Networking

RockOut

Website
www.godsofallmedia.com
I can run the regular usb out mode on my GP2X without any issues, however when I try to enable it through the menu, I can never see my GP2X through my computer! I have tried enabling the Samba server as well as the ftp server but those both don't work. When I enable everything though, my computer recognized the GP2X as another network connection, however I cannot seem to assign it the right network address. I am confused. What exactly do I need to enable to get the ftp, samba, telnet, web, and usb host servers working?I've tried several usb cords and the regular usb mode where you click USB in the settings menu works though.

Edit: I've noticed that when I turn on the network feature and web server, my computer tries to connect but cannot acquire a network address so it comes back with a number like 169.134.78.53 and it tells me that it cannot acquire a network address.

Yes, I just couldn't find it. Sorry about that. I still have a question though. How could I make it so that when people connect, they can only access the ext directory or sd directory so I don't lose all of my system files? Maybe I could add another user? I'm just not sure how to do this.

I think what you do is make a user whose name is FTP and assign it a home folder. I'm not sure though. Any linux ftp tutorial should tell you how to do this.

I created a user named lan with password enter and it is based user the home folder. However, that doesn't help at all when this user can still access and change my system files. I tried usermod to alter the home directory and change it it sd but usermod isn't a command. I do not know how to change permissions either. I did a quick tab tab in the telnet interface and it printed out numerous commands, but none described how to change user properties. All I want to do is to be able to store simple games and videos that can be accessed at lan parties without fear that I will have all of my data wiped. Also, this doesn't solve the samba issue either. :( If I could somehow change this lan user to be able to be readonly, then that could be a possibility. The best thing would be to just run the webserver, however I am still having issues with that. NVM, I got the web server to work. Now I just need to add a simple file menu to the path that it specifies right? Then I could just create links to the files that I want to share without a chance of losing these files.

I guess I could try, but doesn't that only work for the ftp server? A samba server would probably really be the best solution since half the guys at the lan parties don't even know what ftp means. Is there any similar solution for samba? I guess I should just look it up on the Samba website. :(

Thanks for the idea though. I should check that out as well.

Check the file /etc/samba/smb.conf - this is where the Samba server settings are. Have a look at the Samba documentation before you change the settings!

I don't have my GP2X with me at the moment so this is a guess but there should be a single shared folder defined with something like:

Code:
:
:
[GP2X]
		comment = Shared Samba Folder
		path = /
		read only = No
		guest ok = Yes
:
:

You need to change or add the 'read only' and 'guest ok' permissions to limit access to the root folder (or just remove the definition). You then should add a new definition for the '/mnt/ext' or '/mnt/sd' folder with guest read-write access.

I'll have a look at my GP2X tonight and try to confirm, unless someone else here can do it before then!

Thanks a bunch. I configured Samba so that the root folder for microsoft network access is /mnt/ and I enabled read-only access. This should be much easier than trying to get the web server working.

Here you go, this is the original:
Code:
# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = GP2X-F100
log file = /tmp/samba/%m.log
max log size = 0
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
dns proxy = No
security = share
guest account = root