Neo Geo Pocket Color Nub Fetishism

amk

Still Fresh
Recently I picked up my old neo geo pocket color and totally fell in love with that directional nub.
I began to wonder, could we prolong the legacy of that nub?

All I know about modding is limited to exchanging a psp case; I presume that its a mechanical nub, digital.

Anyone care to help?

It's not a nub though, it's a tiny micro-switched thumb joystick! Makes it all lovely and clickly.

B-ZaR said:
Are you modding one to a pandora? Or how is this related? Maybe move to other consoles?
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, I am not intending to do so yet as I don't have enough experience with electronics. I was just wondering how complicated such a feat would be.

ashdjones said:
It's not a nub though, it's a tiny micro-switched thumb joystick! Makes it all lovely and clickly.
I called it a nub because of the, well, nub that sits on top of what essentially a dpad is. I was wondering if it could replace the dpad with neo geo's digital 8-way dpad that imitates a joystick.

This might clear things up.
neogeo_pocket2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A D-Pad uses a set of plastic buttons which push on a rubber membrane. The NGPC joystick uses microswitches, which is totally different.

ashdjones said:
A D-Pad uses a set of plastic buttons which push on a rubber membrane. The NGPC joystick uses microswitches, which is totally different.
That equates to very risky soldering hahah. Back when I was building a custom arcade stick, I had several headaches trying to solder gamepad innards to switches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Electrically there wouldn't be a problem; membrane switches and microswitches do the same thing. You wouldn't be able to fit the NGPC stick into the Dpad area on the Pandora though, there just isn't enough vertical clearance to squeeze it in there without making it completely impossible to close. :(

(I keep my NGPC on my desk just so I can go clicky-clicky-clicky-clicky occasionally, I love that stick)

Back