Neo Geo Pocket / Gameboy Sp

FX23

Still Fresh
Website
www.fabulous23s.com
with the gameboy sp costing a fraction of the price of a gamepark blu how do people think the gameboy stands up to the gp.

also with the neo geo pocket costing 8pounds is it worth getting? is there a neo geo pocket DIY scene out there?????

It is worth getting it cause it has some games like Metal Slug or Fatal Fury that are really nice and it's a very cool handheld but don't expect anything new.. NGP its over ;<

Gameboy and GP32 can't be compared I think most here agree on that.
If you are thinking about buying a NGP get a color version, you can buy a NGP Color with a bundle of games quite cheap at most online stores (Example: NGPC + 6 good games for 79,90$ at Play-Asia)

gameboy is cheaper for commercial games.
but when you want to play homebrew its getting more expensive than the gp.

If you have a flash cart for GBA, then they are really great. The GP32 has more games through emulation (although not that much more, since the GBA also has some amazing emulators) but the GBA games are of a higher quality. The GP32 ownz for movies and music. You can also take a lot more with you with the GP32, unless you have a 1Gbit flash cart (same as 128 Megabytes), which are very expensive. I have both and in my opinion, if you have the money, there is no reason why they can't live together :p . They both rule.

mr twit posted on Jul 8 2004 at 05:13 PM said:
If you have a flash cart for GBA, then they are really great. The GP32 has more games through emulation (although not that much more, since the GBA also has some amazing emulators) but the GBA games are of a higher quality. The GP32 ownz for movies and music. You can also take a lot more with you with the GP32, unless you have a 1Gbit flash cart (same as 128 Megabytes), which are very expensive. I have both and in my opinion, if you have the money, there is no reason why they can't live together :p . They both rule.
The big problem though for emulators is that the GBA lacks the screen resolution to accurately represent console systems emulated. For example SNES is around 250 x 200, TG-16 is around 320 x 200. The GBA resolution is only 240 x 160, so you lose some res. Not only that but the GBA-SP is a FLU system so it doesn't have the contrast and color depth that the GP32 BLU does.

Last edited by a moderator:
GBA is great, I never use it though because I really only like the older games (and again - just easier to view NES, SMS, etc games in their proper resolution on GP32)

also I like the ease of flashing to an SMC as opposed to the GBA's flash cart. Like everyone else says, it depends what you want it for. For commercial games (and there's tons of good ones) go for GBA. For emulation/homebrew etc get GP32 or Zodiac/etc.

Get NGPC.. it is worth its money. And there are still pretty many titles available from various online stores. Funny enough NGPC is still the most played system in my house :p Unfortunately the flash linker for NGPC is really hard to find these day....

I have both. You can't deny some of the high quality commercial games available for the gba. The gba-sp is £75 (including vat) delivered from gbax. Add a 512 xg flash cart and it's £174.35 delivered, cheaper if you are in the us. The gp32 blu is £156.73 (including vat) delivered, but you need a smart media card which is around £25-£30 pounds. They are both around the same price but the gba is more expensive for commercial games (unless you pirate them with the flash cart). At £30-£35 per game it's definately not cheap. I dismissed homebrew completely on the gba, even nes, because they suffer from the poor resolution. Personally I use my flash cart for development purposes (nothing more, I swear :p ). Not sure if I'll sell my flu to get a blu though. The neogeo was pretty cool when it came out. Only one kid within two miles had one and he became popular.........until the ng flopped and gba came out. If you can get it cheap then go ahead.The flash carts are impossible to come by though so rule homebrew out (isn't much anyway).

PS: Above paragraph has no structure :blink: .

Back