Nesemu: Saving And Loading States Not Working

Prometheus

After being unable to get on well with GPFCE, I've taken a liking to our other option, NesEmu (which, though it needs an overclock to run full-speed at the moment and has a lack of proper PAL support, seems to work really nicely). However, I have a slight problem with it, and that is that saving and loading game states is failing to work.

A message indicating that a state is being saved (or loaded) is displayed for less than a fraction of a second when I use those options, but the state is seemingly never saved or never loaded - this is a little bit of a problem when I'm unable to continue playing at any given moment. My card is formatted as ext-2. Is anyone else experiencing this, and is there a workaround?

Prometheus said:
After being unable to get on well with GPFCE, I've taken a liking to our other option, NesEmu (which, though it needs an overclock to run full-speed at the moment and has a lack of proper PAL support, seems to work really nicely). However, I have a slight problem with it, and that is that saving and loading game states is failing to work.

A message indicating that a state is being saved (or loaded) is displayed for less than a fraction of a second when I use those options, but the state is seemingly never saved or never loaded - this is a little bit of a problem when I'm unable to continue playing at any given moment. My card is formatted as ext-2. Is anyone else experiencing this, and is there a workaround?

hmm, maybe its something to do with the pnd setup. I dont remember testing saves states, so ill give it a check.

and what are the issues with gpfce?

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding GPFCE, there seems to be no sound, just an odd crackly noise, and I don't personally like the smoothing effect that I couldn't find any way of deactivating - it's less to do with GPFCE and more to do with my own preferences, really. :)

Thanks for checking out the NesEmu issue - let me know if there's anything else I can check on my setup, if it will help out, as I my Pandora is with me.

Prometheus said:
Regarding GPFCE, there seems to be no sound, just an odd crackly noise, and I don't personally like the smoothing effect that I couldn't find any way of deactivating - it's less to do with GPFCE and more to do with my own preferences, really. :)

Thanks for checking out the NesEmu issue - let me know if there's anything else I can check on my setup, if it will help out, as I my Pandora is with me.

theres sound, but it doesnt work at anything other than 44100. cant recall at the moment if I have a simple 2x scaler in there or not.

Ahh, I see. I didn't mess with the sound-rate, I admit. :p I couldn't find any options relating to scaling at all.

My save states in GPFCE always seem to corrupt when I exit the emu. To be fair, I've only tried this on two games (Elite and Commando) but it's the same thing in both games. The saves never reload properly.

This happened to anyone else?

Pickle said:
cant recall at the moment if I have a simple 2x scaler in there or not.

It isn't a simple scaler, it looks like 2xsai or something.

G189 said:
My save states in GPFCE always seem to corrupt when I exit the emu. To be fair, I've only tried this on two games (Elite and Commando) but it's the same thing in both games. The saves never reload properly.

This happened to anyone else?

Yep, I'm getting the same issue with TMNT. Saves do seems very buggy in nesemu

I really like the menu system in GPFCE, clean and easy to use. Can all the gp2x references be taken out? It really needs a heap of overclocking to work nicely with scaling.

Hopefully Pickle will get some time to look at these at some point.

I think everyone may have been expecting nes to be a given on the pandora from day 1, along with a lot of other emus. I'm sure it will be all good.

ok i tried 2 games in nesemu : smb2 and tmnt 1 and neither had issues loading and saving through the menu options (I did not use the save/load disk states, i used the save/load states)

Prometheus said:
Ahh, I see. I didn't mess with the sound-rate, I admit. :p I couldn't find any options relating to scaling at all.
Yeah it uses some blurry filter thingy that didn't look to good. It was kind of "muddy" looking. A nice 2X no filter option, and a stretch horizontal only (2X vertical) aspect correct would be nize like Notaz did on the GP2X. It would probably run allot faster too without that weird filter. It seems odd that 500 MHz is not enough to run it well on the Pandora when it ran perfect at 200 MHz on the GP2X, must be the filter effect computation or something.

I just figured I'd post back with a discovery relating to this.

The problem with saving and loading states in NesEmu seemingly only occurs with ext2-formatted cards. I had to reformat my main one to FAT32 recently (it frequently hangs during shutdown if I use ext2, for some reason, and one such occurrence of this ended up corrupting my card - I'm going to sacrifice an old card to look into this further, and then file a bug report if necessary), and I've found that saving and loading states with NesEmu works just fine with FAT32.

I'm reluctant to mark this as "[SOLVED]" since there still seems to be an issue if you want to use NesEmu on an ext2 card, but it does work fine with FAT32. :p

Back