NesterGP Save-State

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
I know there exist some GP32 which can't handle 132MHz correctly.
These are the GP32, that crash trying to load a GameBoy Color rom using GPVGB.
I have one of them.

Now, if ANYONE here has one, too: Could you please try out if save-state loading and saving with NesterGP work?
I have this problem, SRAM and settings saving work, only save-state crashes while saving or don't write it correctly.

Scherzo can't reproduce that problem, so it may be because he uses 132MHz. But the only way to make sure that is the problem is to have others try that out.

Thanks for your help.

BTW: If you're going to try that out, use an SMC where there's no important stuff on, since saving damages the directory tree. You can repair that by reformatting or use chkdsk /f if you have a cardreader.

I had already had this save-state problem, along with the Game Genie function crashing instead of adding my desired code.. I really wish this could be fixed. :(

Don't worry, I'm in contact with the author, he's trying to fix this as soon as he moved into his new apartment (which will be something around the 1st of July).

Do you had this problem only once or does state saving always crash?

Also, does GPVGB run GameBoy Color games or do they crash as well?

EDIT: Just tried out Game Genie, it crashes on my machine as well!

Also, does GPVGB run GameBoy Color games or do they crash as well?
i've managed to get the following GBC games to run so far:

Tetris DX
Mario DX (which is Mario 1 - has slight sprite glitches though)
Wario Land 3 (i think it's 3)
Streetfighter Alpha
Zelda DX

these are all playable

Last edited by a moderator:
To the best of my knowledge, GPVGB seems to be working perfectly fine with me (I'm using v0.11). Ive played the following GB/C games with it:

Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Super Mario Bros DX
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario Land 3 (Wario Land 1)

Hope that helps.

Also, I was aware of the apartment-moving thing, I was told by the author via email too.

And, the savestate thing never worked for me, I have tried more than once.

Most GBC games work on the GBC emulator for me. Ver 0.11 (I think it was) always crashed but the earlier ones worked.

Have the savestate problem in Nester. Crashes too :-(

the gameboy emulator does not run at 133mhz, its more like 68-75mhz (i forget, its in the readme). The reason it doesnt work on some gp32s is because the cpu cant run at speeds that isnt either 66 or 133 mhz.

Ah okay, thanks for the info, Swiss_Cheeseman.
But that does mean, that 132 MHz may also cause problems on these machines.

its not that, its only because the processor does not support processor speeds that are not either 66 or 133(132)mhz. I think one of the reasons why the master system emulator runs at 133 is because the author couldnt get it to run at any slower speed between 66-133 because the SDK had trouble doing that.

First off, I'd like to say that NesterGP is the best NES emulator I've encountered for the GP32 so far. Triple kudos to the author!

Save States and Game Genie are a weird phenomon in NesterGP. I've never had any problems with GPVGB of any version before...I just tried Zelda: Seasons and Super Mario Bros. DX on GPVGB v.011 and they worked fine (except for the sprite glitches in SMB:DX). However, I cannot load Save Sates, nor apply Game Genie patches. While the first just acts like you never told it to load the saved state, trying to apply Game Genie patches sets the emulator into an endless loop. I can save as many Save States as I want fine, just not load them.

Additionally, I've tried playing Startropics 2 and I've noticed that the Load/Save SRAM functions aren't showing up. Maybe this is because of the weird way Startropics saves your game? (it automatically saves it at the start of each dungeon).

Ok i just tried my save states, they were crashing on me as well
BUT
even though the gp32 crashed my save state is still in tact:)
im sure it should work for you guys too. Just when you do a save state
it will crash, restart your gp32, load your save state, and you off to playing some more:)
I tried this on about 10 games and its the same issue.
But i just see it as a "cosmetic" issue for me (though it has nothing to do with cosmetics)
hope i helped :D

Hehe, you're the second guy I find which has working save states after the crash.
But most people have not.

My save state is 6,51kb big after saving, the directory structure is damaged. It won't run.

But I'm patiently awaiting the next version :)

Back