Nethack Recovery Tool

GP40

Anyone know where I can get a PC Nethack recovery tool or if the Dzz port comes with one?

I've got further than before on this go and now its froze and character wont load :(

GP40 posted on Jul 20 2006 at 02:48 PM said:
Anyone know where I can get a PC Nethack recovery tool or if the Dzz port comes with one?

I've got further than before on this go and now its froze and character wont load :(
What files do you have in your nethack folder? I'm thinking specifically about 1lock.* and *.sav files. Whatever ones you have, make copies of them.

Also, if the game froze while you were playing, do you remember what you were doing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dzz posted on Jul 20 2006 at 10:21 PM said:
GP40 posted on Jul 20 2006 at 02:48 PM said:

What files do you have in your nethack folder? I'm thinking specifically about 1lock.* and *.sav files. Whatever ones you have, make copies of them.

Also, if the game froze while you were playing, do you remember what you were doing?

The save files are here:-
http://webplus.forum.chit-chat.co.uk/temp/nethack.ZIP
I cant see 1lock file though. Arnold is the one.

It froze when I just got level 5 Exp, moved around to get my pet near me and then attempted to go down to level 4 IIRC. I waited for 2mins or so, then I booted the 2x and when I try to load the file now, the status panels come up but the tiles area is blank.

Many thanks for a great port btw B)

I had a look at this save file, watching Nethack try to load it. Unfortunately, it is truly corrupted. Thank you for posting it, but there's nothing to be done about it.

The file loading/saving/restoring stuff in Nethack is rather fragile (the error recovery works most of the time) and I will be rewriting the entire thing for Nethack version 0.7. It will take a while but it will be worth it. On the bright side, if you were only on dungeon level 4, you were just barely getting started and it shouldn't be too hard to get another good game going.

Dzz posted on Jul 21 2006 at 03:40 PM said:
I had a look at this save file, watching Nethack try to load it. Unfortunately, it is truly corrupted. Thank you for posting it, but there's nothing to be done about it.

Oh well, thanks for looking Dzz B)

If the harvest of Arnold's donor file parts help other characters to live he wont have died in vain :)

Back