Network by tether, either USB or BT

moxie

The voice of reason, sense and exasperation
Staff member
OK, so I have searched around, and checked the wiki, and so on, but I can't seem to get this working, or at least not without embarking on serious brouhaha, in case I'd rather like to have some current input first.

So: I'd like to tether my pandora to my phone, a Sony Ericsson J108i cedar. I've tried these things:

1) By USB: Just connecting the phone to the pandora with the normal USB cable, with the phone set to "sharing internet connection". When I try this, nothing happens. As in, dmesg is completely silent, which must mean that the kernel has no idea, right? By comparison, when I do the exact same thing on my netbook (which runs Ubuntu), I immediately get a "wired" connection in the network manager (over USB) and dmesg reports that the phone has connected and it has loaded the cdc_ether module.

I did succeed at this before, but that was with another phone (a LG620GW running Android). I can't quite remember what kernel modules was loaded then.

2) By bluetooth: I've successfully paired the phone to the pandora, from the pandora. I got the question "do you want to use internet over this connection" or somesuch at the end of the pairing process, and I checked that. When I turn on BT on the phone, I get a presumed BT connection and an entry in the network manager that looks like a MAC adress followed by PANU, I.e. "86:e4:65:23:DA:34 PANU" (I'm just making up the numbers here, but that is the form). When I try to select this, however, it searches for a short while and then pops up a "Network disconnected" popup.

This, I have not tried in any other way, since my netbook don't have BT.

I'm running HF6rc3 or someting like that (or possibly rc4). Anybody got any ideas of where to look? As I said, I looked all over the boards, but I seem to get tutorials that start off from far "worse" conditions (i.e. not being able to pair at all), and which are a few hotfixes old and therefore possibly not very relevant. Anyways, hope somebody got a good idea :)

Im not very technical but i couldnt get my samsung smartphone to bluetooth tether to the pandora.It was connected and i could send pics and music to the pandora but no recognition of the network.Thus after quite a few attempts i gave up.

To bluetooth tether my Pandora to my iPhone:

1. pair from the Pandora and select the network option at the end of the wizard

2. initiate a connection to the Pandora from the phone

3. select the mac address in the NetworkManager context menu

To bluetooth tether my Pandora through my laptop (Macbook):

1. pair them from the Pandora

2. enable internet sharing in System Preferences -> Sharing, for wifi -> bluetooth

3. connect to my Pandora via the bluetooth menu, "connect to network"

4. run "sudo dhclient" on my Pandora

Back