Phone as USB or Bluetooth MODEM

PowerGod

Forum Addict!
My phone, a Sony Ericcson K750 can be used as a MODEM via USB or Bluetooth, it is not a smartphone so no easy network sharing things...

Years ago I was able to use it in both way with Knoppix v4.0... I remember well the USB connection, I needed to edit "etc/chatscripts/gprs" with my phone profile and operator info,

and then there was a menu on "knoppix -> network/internet -> GPRS/UMTS connection" that was asking to create a link to the modem (something like ttyacm0 or 1)

then a script was starting a connection.

I do know nothing of what was happening in the background, but is there's something similar that can be done with the Pandora ?

The bluetooth connection was more simple if I remember correctly, but there was a more complete bluetooth management, so I prefere to try first the USB connection.

(And by the way the Pandora see my phone only as a Phone, but the only thing I can do is use it as a bluetooth keyboard...)

EDIT: mmm there is minicom... might be useful...

EDIT2: seems there's the need of these modules... but I can see only the last one...

Code:
usbcore.ko

uhci-hcd.ko ohci-hcd.ko or ehci-hcd.ko

cdc-acm.ko

EDIT3: GREAT !! With minicom on /dev/ttyACM0 my phone just told "OK"... now... let's see for the other parameters...

EDIT4: The Phone is trying to connect but always returns "NO CARRIER"... there must be something wrong with the commands but they were working before on linux...

Code:
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.wind"

ATD*99***2#

(the number 2 means to use the second data profile on my phone, and it's correctly configured...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted how I got this working Here. It was one of the first things I worked on when I first got my pandora.

- Neelix

I posted how I got this working Here. It was one of the first things I worked on when I first got my pandora.

- Neelix

Thanks, I found your solution before, but I was trying with USB first also to limit battery use, cause my phone is old and with the cable is even charging ;)

Anyway I can always use bluetooth and keep the cable inserted :)

I will do some more try, but I have the feeling that my provider is blocking the connections from the phone when used as a modem... <_<

WTF !! The way to use my phone as a modem USB was sooo easy that I found it only now !! <_< After connecting the phone, Network Manager found available a new "GSM connection"... I started it, and done... I was using the web... :eek:

There was just something to change with the connection... I changed dial number to " *99***2# " and inserted the APN "internet.wind"

And I need to thank Neelix cause I found the time to try his instructions to the bluetooth connection, and it worked great !!

So in conclusion, I was able to connect to internet thought my phone in both ways... I can't be more happy :D

Phone -> USB -> Pandora

Use "GSM connection" from Network Manager

Phone -> Bluetooth -> Pandora

Use the instruction HERE (thanks to Neelix ;) )

Back