Using old-fashioned dialup from a pandora?

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
Occasionally, including the next two weeks, my only internet access is over a phone line using a charge-via-phone-bill dialup service.

I have a modem which works nicely with our eeepc901 (xandros and all that) . When plugged into my pandora (with a USB hub) it gets detected as a USB serial device and assigned ttyACM0 (Product: USB Modem, Serial Number: 0000002).

I would expect networkmanager (which has many relevant options available under 'mobile broadband') to offer to connect using this modem, or at least show it as a network device - but it doesn't.

This leaves the question: What's the neatest way to get working dialup from a pandora?

Thanks in advance for any answers, since I may not be able to reply to this for a few days :)

Gosh darnit chap!! They still have those things!! That's like so 20th century.

Next you will be telling me, that you still use a cathode ray-tube telly. :)

Gosh, that takes me back. In fact, IIRC I was still using home computers last time I used dial-up.

Somewhat surprisingly, SuperZaxxon has a package called 'ppp' installed which, on Debian at least, is pppd, the PPP daemon, handling point-to-point setup and destruction. You may have everything you need just missing configuration (sudoing pon moans about missing config as is).

Configuring it may be tricky though. Some Ubuntu doc expects there to be a 'modem' tab in your network connections via network manager, but our network manager doesn't have such a tab. The 'DSL' tab seems to be speaking much the same lingo though, so configuring that might do you some good. Failing that, section 7.11 of the old Linux FAQ has some stuff about wangling all this by hand.

Of course, you may also need more than pppd to get the network stack talking to your identified USB connection. But I've no idea where to start when it comes to that.

Out of interest, how did you configure it on your EeePC? You'll need to enter phone numbers and usernames and wotnot somewhere.

Back