New (and Heavy) Firmware Soon ?

Ok, I just looked. They are still using FAT32 (VFAT"], so be careful when writing to the user nand!

*sigh*
By careful do you mean just make sure there's no power outage or is there anything else to take into account?[/quote]Well, it could crash when the power breaks down and some files are still open for writing (or still in cache waiting to be written).
Best to not write much to the NAND but keep everthing on the SD Card instead.

Last edited:
By careful do you mean just make sure there's no power outage or is there anything else to take into account?
It's probably easier to just say 'Put all your emus and stuff on an sd card' like you did on the 2x. Leave the internal nand alone.
Yeah, and honestly: Why using the NAND anyway? SD cards are cheap, easy and fast to use. It never came to my mind to use the NAND.
But of course, GPH should change this vfat disaster in the future, no question...

Last edited by a moderator:
By careful do you mean just make sure there's no power outage or is there anything else to take into account?
It's probably easier to just say 'Put all your emus and stuff on an sd card' like you did on the 2x. Leave the internal nand alone.
Yeah, and honestly: Why using the NAND anyway? SD cards are cheap, easy and fast to use. It never came to my mind to use the NAND.
But of course, GPH should change this vfat disaster in the future, no question...
Ah now I understand... to be honest not having one I didn't know you could store softwares on the internal nand.
Assumed everything was off the SD.
Used to be into the PSP homebrew scene and the thought of installing apps on the nand would have sounded insane.
So basically leave it alone apart from firmwares. :D

That's not the main problem. The problem is that FAT keeps writing it's file tables into the same disk location, this means it keeps erasing/writing to the same NAND block. NAND blocks have limited erase/write cycles (several thousands), after that they die forever. The solution is to use flash filesystems for that, they select different NAND blocks for every write.

If there's no logical to physical translation tables in there to ensure the same block doesn't get constantly written to, is there even a mechanism to handle cases where a nand block goes bad prematurely (through an erase cycle) and to remap that block to another?

If not, then maybe the user nand should be mounted read-only.

Hmmm, I just thought of something else too. The vfat mount command is:

mount -t vfat -o iocharset=utf8 /dev/mtdblock2 /mnt/nand

UTF8 on FAT32?
Also, doesn't FAT32 automatically update a files access time? Meaning each file opened writes to the nand to update that time?

Looking through the image of the 1.1 update, it seems that GPH are now using UBIFS for user nand instead, and then mounting the vfat as an image via a loop device. Can anyone confirm? There seems to be both types of mount command (mounting /dev/mtdblock2 directly, and mounting via /dev/loop). I can't confirm myself as my nand is only small :( But this would explain the longer bootup times.

why did my screen go fuzzy when i did the update there was no prompts to when it started and or finished after about 20mins i reset it but the firmware vershion reads v1.10

flashed and running smooth here, flash player is still kind of useless, it's a tid bit faster but bloxorz is still laggy but i do notice a performance gain.

how is the zip only 80 meg and the decompressed file is 800 meg? i mean, im no expert in compression but isnt a 10:1 ratio a bit high?

MAME doesn't run correctly with the new firmware... GPH has changed something in the video synchronization and the video is choppy...

MAME doesn't run correctly with the new firmware... GPH has changed something in the video synchronization and the video is choppy...
I haven't ran into any issues with MAME yet. So far everything is checking out OK on my system.
It runs worse than with the previous firmware. The games don't run at 60 fps. For example if you try Black Tiger or Ghosts'n Goblins and you move the character to make the background to be scrolled you will see the scroll isn't smooth, it is choppy...

I haven't ran into any issues with MAME yet. So far everything is checking out OK on my system.
It runs worse than with the previous firmware. The games don't run at 60 fps. For example if you try Black Tiger or Ghosts'n Goblins and you move the character to make the background to be scrolled you will see the scroll isn't smooth, it is choppy...
I see it now... I wasn't looking close enough. That really sucks they changed the video sync. I really dig your hard work on mame4all, I hate to see them screw it up.

I see it now... I wasn't looking close enough. That really sucks they changed the video sync. I really dig your hard work on mame4all, I hate to see them screw it up.
These are exactly the reasons why I haven't touched any new firmware at all. I'm waiting for a fix to the music player, and that's all. Until then, I'm not touching a single firmware GPH releases. Also, it sort of seems like they aren't releasing fixes to things people ACTUALLY want fixed. >.>;

Back