New Arm Processor Cortex-m0

'lulzfish' said:
and many processors run around a gigahertz.

So this is like 85 mW? That's not too bad.
Nope. More like 85 uW. 85 milli-milliwatts.

Last edited by a moderator:
0.085 mW * 1000MHz = 85 mW for 1GHz ;)

'Tinnus' said:
0.085 mW * 1000MHz = 85 mW for 1GHz ;)
color me deeply impress if it could reach a ghz : )

A linear increase in power consumption relative to the frequency? Isn't there usually a quadratic increase?

Oh yeah, power consumption isn't linear to clock speed.

Of course, you'd think the manufacturer would say something when they published a spec like "blah blah microwatts per megahertz"

But then again, ViewersAreMorons. Even though some of them are probably EEs.

CE/EE here... this thing is more of a microcontroller not an applications processor like the Cortex-A8 more comparable to an arduino than the pandora

CODE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino

they do specifically say ... you`l see it in game controllers tv remotes toasters and such :) finally toasters can run linux for real

BTW its 50Mhz as per this page

CODE
http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/ARM-Cortex-M0.html

I've always really wanted to microwave to run Linux, so I can turn off the damn beep.
There is no need for the beep. None at all. Never.

'lulzfish' said:
Oh yeah, power consumption isn't linear to clock speed.

Of course, you'd think the manufacturer would say something when they published a spec like "blah blah microwatts per megahertz"

But then again, ViewersAreMorons. Even though some of them are probably EEs.
Ideally, yes it is. P = fcV^2. The problem is that in cases of higher clocks, you almost always need a higher voltage and will have higher losses due to heat and leakage, breaking the ideal equation.

The exceptionally small silicon area, low power and minimal code footprint of the processor enables developers to achieve 32-bit performance at an 8-bit price point, bypassing the step to 16-bit devices.

From what this quote says, doesnt that mean It would be more possible for an N64 emulator on the pandora, if this was used? Am I right?

'ninjamonkey' said:
The exceptionally small silicon area, low power and minimal code footprint of the processor enables developers to achieve 32-bit performance at an 8-bit price point, bypassing the step to 16-bit devices.
From what this quote says, doesnt that mean It would be more possible for an N64 emulator on the pandora, if this was used? Am I right?

Not at all. The advantages of this CPU are its low price and extremely low power consumption. It is not even in the same league as the Cortex-A8, much less more suitable for emulation.

How would this compare, say, to Dreamcast's VMU thingy?

Back