New Case Design

Do you prefer the New Design or the Previous Design

• I Prefer the new edges

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Na let's stick with the old edges

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

timofonic said:
Do you mean the part where Pandora closes and open?
Look here:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=674665
Look at the pic with the blue background. The hinge is curved at the edges left and right.

Edit:
I don't think it is possible to hide the gaming controls, because of the lack of space between the lid and the bottom part.

Last edited by a moderator:
timofonic said:
<snip>
Some business environments consider all kind of fun a sin. They love to be bored, I want to use my Pandora everywhere and that's why I want to hide the fun part in certain environments ;)

Just show them that it is the in-built mouse and all should be fine. I'm going to be using mine at work.

TaG said:
timofonic said:
<snip>
Some business environments consider all kind of fun a sin. They love to be bored, I want to use my Pandora everywhere and that's why I want to hide the fun part in certain environments ;)

Just show them that it is the in-built mouse and all should be fine. I'm going to be using mine at work.
Hehehe, good trick. Anyway, I'm not sure if that is able to convince everybody :)

Show that you are using it for serious purposes and they cannot argue. Hell, tell them as they wouldn't provide it they're lucky you're not putting on expenses.

Then when they have had sufficient proof, go back to your games and browsing.

retort said:
01qn6.jpg
The shoulder buttons are going to need a trim. The way they stick out at the corner, they will definitely get snagged on something and get ripped right out (e.g. when pulling it out of your pocket, with say, a headphone cable snagged on it, or even just from sheer friction).

TaG said:
Show that you are using it for serious purposes and they cannot argue. Hell, tell them as they wouldn't provide it they're lucky you're not putting on expenses.

Hehe, good point! Anyway, a piece of plastic or whatever to hide the gaming controls can be interesting sometimes.

sverm said:
retort said:
The shoulder buttons are going to need a trim. The way they stick out at the corner, they will definitely get snagged on something and get ripped right out (e.g. when pulling it out of your pocket, with say, a headphone cable snagged on it, or even just from sheer friction).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that render has a few mistakes. It could be nice to see an improved one and even with some nice animation :)

sverm said:
retort said:

yeh yeh, i was lazy in that regard. only spent an hour or so on the models, i actually spent alot of time recreating the irregular chamfer by eye only to realize the back was all wrong. your right, the front profile curve should extend to the buttons, i only lowered the shoulders. oh well...

timofonic said:
TaG said:

Hehe, good point! Anyway, a piece of plastic or whatever to hide the gaming controls can be interesting sometimes.

sverm said:
retort said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that render has a few mistakes. It could be nice to see an improved one and even with some nice animation :)

lol, no ones perfect. animation? geez, how about CAD docs, assemblies, and qtvr comparisons while we're at it.

retort said:
lol, no ones perfect. animation? geez, how about CAD docs, assemblies, and qtvr comparisons while we're at it.
Sorry, it was just informing that person that your render not shows the final design correctly and has a few mistakes. Thanks for your work, you did a great work and looks better than the official render except for those few mistakes :)

About the animation, it only was a suggestion. But yes, OpenPandora Ltd. is the real responsible about that marketing kind of stuff and you are wasting your time on this for free just because liking the system.

I think the renders (flaws and all) have won me over to the new design.

I’m all for branding but that raised logo is pretty big.

I would rather something more discrete.

The curved render looks cool and I still like the old brick better.

The original brick design reminds me of my HP 95LX.

This may seem counterintuitive for such a powerful system but I would rather it look like it came from the early ‘90s than from 2009.

Some like the shiny Apple-Nintendo-Sony look and I like things that look ‘retro.’

I am not complaining, these are just my unsolicited opinions and what really matters is how the system performs.

I personally hope the logo is inset slightly, as opposed to raised.

This means that people will be able to:

a. Make a cutout from vinyl that will fit perfectly within the logo, to give it that blue / red / pink / shiny black / silver / patterned look they want.
b. Fill it in with polyfilla, sand it down, and spray it, for the smooth look.
c. leave it as-is
d. cut it out, fill the hole with clear epoxy, add an LED backlight for that appley-look.

retort said:
Stop with the excuses... seriously, I like the render, so thanks for your effort.
Wonder what the back view looks like, especially with those curved shoulders?

parag0n said:
I personally hope the logo is inset slightly, as opposed to raised.

This means that people will be able to:

a. Make a cutout from vinyl that will fit perfectly within the logo, to give it that blue / red / pink / shiny black / silver / patterned look they want.
b. Fill it in with polyfilla, sand it down, and spray it, for the smooth look.
c. leave it as-is
d. cut it out, fill the hole with clear epoxy, add an LED backlight for that appley-look.

c. should read c. leave as is and let muck fill it in.

I know why you suggested it was recessed but it almost forces everyone to mod it since it would be a dirt trap.

It's always hard with logos but it is as much for branding and product recognition than just 'style'. Also, from a business point of view, the slinky new looks are likely to attract more customers than retro will. Especially as those really into the retro that want one will buy it regardless of which style is used because of what it will do.

TaG said:
It's always hard with logos but it is as much for branding and product recognition than just 'style'. Also, from a business point of view, the slinky new looks are likely to attract more customers than retro will. Especially as those really into the retro that want one will buy it regardless of which style is used because of what it will do.
i think the design revision of the top was for product recognition, in regards to the old design being very similar to the DS. consumers visually connecting the pandora to the ds, in a marketing sense, is probably a bad thing.

can't wait to see the the final product

pandora_blueemblem.png

Probably too late, but having the lid cut out with opaque plastic and using the LCD's backlight like Apple does would be great :)

Hm, looks like spare casings will be popular in Pandora-shops, as a lot of people (like me) will probably trash a few trying to cut out the logo. :)

Back