new classic Pandora: a few issues :-(

kaiserpc

After a 4 year wait (and thanks to Ed's great work) I now have a lovely classic Pandora - it looks lovely.  I've hardly used it so far (no spare SD cards), but noticed a few issues already (listed in importance order);

- I'm struggling to get the AC adapter to charge.  I've got to twist and force the connection in until the red light comes on, and then half the time when I let it go / or move it- the light goes off and it stops charging :-(.  The conection doesn't go all the way in and sits about 1cm away from being flush with the Pandora - is this normal?

-  I can't get to the mini menu without going through the full os.  If I select it from the boot options (I selected to show both options on boot) it asks me to login - which I do - but then it goes back to the OS selection screen again - and the same thing keeps happening until you pick the full OS (I can then pick mini menu from the full OS okay though)

- Sometimes when I try and open the unit, rather than the lid opening, the join between the 2 sd cards opens up a bit

- finally, when I select "shut down" from the full OS - it reboots rather than shutsdown

I'm really wanting to love it, and I've been waiting since 01/2009 for this - so please help with some of the above so I don't have to send it back :)

Can you take a picture of the charger plugged ?

The gap may happen if the screws are not tight. You may try to screw a bit, but be very careful not to force or screw too much, you may damage the case.

- finally, when I select "shut down" from the full OS - it reboots rather than shutsdown
This is the normal scenario if you have the charger plugged into the OpenPandora. If you leave it unplugged, then select Shutdown, then it turns off completely. Also, When your Pandora is off and you then plug in the charger, it wakes it back up automatically without you flicking the Pandora`s power switch. It is an uncanny characteristic due to the design, but it is so miniscule that the positives of the OpenPandora overshadows that fact.

...Patnik.

The plug of the charger supplied with mine doesn't sit flush with the case when it's plugged in, but it's not 1cm out.  In fact the charger plug tip is only about 1cm long in total.  It sits about 2mm or so from flush when it's plugged in and charging.  It doesn't have a particularly positive connection - it starts to grab the plug when it's about 3mm inside the bounds of the case, and I then push it in the rest of the way until I hit a very definite stop just before the body of the plug would hit the case.

But yeah the fact the base unit is separating when you open the lid sounds like it's not screwed together properly.  And minimenu not starting from cold might be a sign of a corrupted firmware - but it's occurred to me it might be a bug because you haven't got any SD cards inserted.  I can't say I've ever tried to run minimenu without an SD card in with some apps on.  But to reflash anyway you need to find an SD card, so I guess it's little trouble to try booting up minimenu beforehand.

will get a chance to try some of the "fixes" tonight and take a photo of the charger attached.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the "7" key sticks in when you press it (and you have to press it again at the left hand side to fix it each time)

@thatgui "ordered" my Pandora from Craig in 01/2009 and have been waiting ever since.  Only with Ed's great cross upgrade "donation" do I have the chance to own one finally - I paid the upgrade fee to get a classic pandora from Ed's recent email to Craig's old order queue - it arrived on Saturday :)  Just want to say I really love it and appreciate Ed is probably losing quite a bit of money on every one sold

Last edited by a moderator:
@thatgui "ordered" my Pandora from Craig in 01/2009 and have been waiting ever since.  Only with Ed's great cross upgrade "donation" do I have the chance to own one finally - I paid the upgrade fee to get a classic pandora from Ed's recent email to Craig's old order queue - it arrived on Saturday :)  Just want to say I really love it and appreciate Ed is probably losing quite a bit of money on every one sold
thanks for the answer, I was just curious, wether you got it from Ed or from craigs sellout

Is the charger one of those that has adapters on the end? If so it could be sent with a wrong one attached. Happened in the past.

Okay here is a few photos of the charger attached, and one of the charger "pin end" itself.  I can usually get it to charge eventually - by constantly turning it around, or pulling it out slightly and putting it back in again - can take 1 min to get a connection, and then about 3 goes or so after I let it go before the red light stays on.  I noticed the actual pin in the Pandora side itself sits over 1cm inside the unit - should it be nearer the hole/case?

I tried a SD card in it (and put a couple of .pnd files on it) and still can't get to mini menu without going through the full OS 1st - so will try to re-flash it

I haven't tried tightening the screws yet - but will try tomorrow

I've tried pressing the "7" key in and fxing it again - loads of times to try and loosen it, but it is still sticking - even when it is seated properly it doesn't stick out as far as all the other keys.

charger1.jpg

charger2.jpg

charger3.jpg

charger4.jpg

Ah, hrmmm... something I need to check with the other PCBs. The port probably is a bit dirty because the PCB was lying around for a while.

Usually contact cleaner will fix that - and that's what I usually do when recovering those PCBs. But maybe that one slipped through. If you got some contact cleaner spray at home, spray it onto the plug and put it in and out of the connecter a few times.

Contact cleaners are non-conductive and non-corrosive. Spray it on and have no fear of shorts. Pants may still cause fear.

I had one which was so greasy i always feared to power on electric stuff too early.

Then you probably didn't get one that was suited for electronical devices. There are different ones out there.

okay bought some contact cleaner, and sprayed loads on - dried it with a tissue and there was some black grease/dirt came off.  Plugged it back in - and no joy - still really intermittent, not any better than before. 

Decided to open it up so I could get right into it to spray it.  When I opened it up I tried spraying some more and sticking in the power adapter (obviously it was unplugged) to clean it - and I think I've spotted the problem :-( The little black box around the power connector on the Pandora has 4 little metal feet that attach it to the Pandora.  The 2 feet on the right hand side move when you put in the power cable and swivel it around.  It's like there are not connected properly to the board.  The other 2 feet do not move at all - so I can only assume it is a hardware issue with the power adapter coming away from the Pandora :-(

I really don't want to have to send it back (having waited 3.5+ yrs for it).  Did I read you can charge it from the USB port? (full size one?) - if so, does it charge it as fast.  Any disadvantage to using the USB rather than power adapter to charge?

If you are brave, you can also resolder the points that are loose.

Seems like some "cold joints".

Edit: Of course you can also charge it via usb. This will not be as fast though.

Edit2: You cannot charge with the fullsize port. Only with the miniUsb port.

Any disadvantage to using the USB rather than power adapter to charge?
No (except that it takes a little longer), I have never used the ac adapter to charge my Pandora. Did it always via USB (for about three years now), never had a problem.

I've always used a PSP sync and charge cable for charging up my Pandora, you can charge it both ways then whatever suits!

Seems you need a soldering iron now. You could maybe epoxy glue it in place too. Have you ever used any of those two component types, they work (assuming its just the stability pins that are frayed.)

Back