New Dingoos With Ili9328? Screen Problem.

dsh

Still Fresh
Website
byteboy.x25.pl
Hello I recently acquired a dingoo straight from Hong-Kong (DX). I flashed it with 1.20-pof firmware. I thought it came with ili9325 screen controller. There was a strange screen problem after flashing. Gamma was wrong and strange 'scanline' interlacing effect appeared. Quite distracting.

So I started to investigate. I flashed it with 9331 bootcode. Then the interlacing was gone but the screen was flipped horizontally and gamma was still wrong. I found the lcd controller register which was responsible for the flipping and changed its value to this from ili9325 bootcode. But still the gamma was wrong. I decided to take apart my dingoo and it appears that it has brand new internals. Memory chips are all Winbond, the JZ chip is branded and says DINGOOGAME with a PAW logo. Apart from that the LCD model is FTP280C59N while the one in former dingoos was FTP280P04N.

I managed to find some info about this lcd. It appears that it should be driven by ILI9328 controller. Maybe I just programmed my mind and when I looked at the info screen I thought it said ili9325 while it was ili9328. You know because everywhere it was written that its either 9331 or 9325.

Now I'm stuck. I tried hacking the bootcodes. Changing the LCD init sequence with various values found in ILI9325 "Application Notes". It appears that the only way to get this working is to acquire a proper bootcode.

So if you're about to buy a new dingoo and it by accident says ili9328 or even 9325 but you're suspicious, dump the bootcode before flashing it! Oh, my dingoo came with fw 1.22.

If you recently bought dingoo from DX and haven't checked it yet, write down the screen controller id. You can access this info by going to the about screen and pressing up-right-down-up-right-down. Thanks!

More about my problem: http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-general/screen-'interlacing'-after-flashing/msg17585/#msg17585
How to dump your bootcode: http://www.dingux.com/2009/05/new-a320-hardware-spotted-different-lcd.html. The 2K dump should suffice.

I believe you are to notify Booboo at www.dingux.com if you come across a new LCD model.

EDIT: As well, you said you purchased this from DealExtreme? I wonder if anyone else is encountering this, and if it is possible to get an older model from them... I was considering buying a Dingoo from them, but this disconcerts me..

Transmition said:
I believe you are to notify Booboo at www.dingux.com if you come across a new LCD model.

EDIT: As well, you said you purchased this from DealExtreme? I wonder if anyone else is encountering this, and if it is possible to get an older model from them... I was considering buying a Dingoo from them, but this disconcerts me..

Booboo is no longer on the project from what I know. I fixed the gamma and "interlacing" issues by hacking the .DL file by hand with a lot of trial and error and data from booboo's disassembly, IL9325 Application Notes and datasheet. I even compiled my custom Dingux kernel for this screen so everything seems alright. I suppose they we're short of former lcd's and this is only one lot (I hope) with this kind of trouble...

Of course I would still like to see that dump from somebody who has similar dingoo...

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you mind uploading your modified files so that anyone who comes across this LCD can solve their issues?

Transmition said:
Would you mind uploading your modified files so that anyone who comes across this LCD can solve their issues?

Here you go:
http://byteboy.x25.pl/dingoo/ILI9325_PINKEEN_HACK.ZIP

As far as dingux is concerned I already incorporated my hack but I need to apply some more patches, so it's the same as SiENcE's kernel and then I can release it.

So to confirm, this LCD issues were not encountered within the native OS, only within Dingux, which you have managed to successfully patch? When did you purchase your dingoo?

Transmition said:
So to confirm, this LCD issues were not encountered within the native OS, only within Dingux, which you have managed to successfully patch? When did you purchase your dingoo?

No, the same was within the native OS and the dingux, so I had to "patch" both of them.

Dingoo intializes the lcd during the boot sequence. This is done by the code in the .DL file. In dingux, display is initialized by the framebuffer driver. So even I fix one, the second one will be still independently broken. I changed the lcd initialization code (values the registers are set to) in both: the .DL file and the dingux's JZ4740_SLCD driver.

Back