New feature in the Forums: Articles

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
To increase the usability of the boards and have important stuff where it belongs, I now added Articles to the boards.

You might've seen in the last few days that the menu has been changed - it's not yet finished, don't worry about that (need to add a lot more Pandora-Information there).

It's not only the menu structure that has changed, I've also added more features.

The most notably one are articles.

Every member can now create articles (they need to be approved by a mod afterwards).

Right now I got the categories:

Reviews

Tutorials

Tipps and Tricks

More categories can be added if need be.

You can submit and view user articles via the Community-Menu. I already put a many of the reviews we had here on the boards there.

Now I could use your help!

I know that there are a lot of Tutorials and Tipps hidden in the depths of this boards...

If you find any post which would make sense as an article, please post the link here.

I'll check it out and update it.

Of course, you are also welcome to write new articles and help new and old Pandora users :)

Right now I got the categories:

Reviews

Tutorials

Tipps and Tricks
I guess I'm evolving to an old nagging lady, but wouldn't that make the situation worse than it already is now ?

Right now (leaving external sources aside) we basically have two main sources: threads buried in the forum somewhere and the wiki. Wouldn't this scatter the informations even more as we now have three posibilities to search ?

Don't get me wrong, it is a good idea to have some key infos at a very prominent place, but would not links to the wiki be better ? I'm also worried about people writing articles and leaving the forums making their work cumbersome to edit / keeping up to date.

completly off topic:

Is it possible to get the old version of the forum software back ? Quoting is very tiresome now and I don't see any improvements, except for the reather useless like button that are noticeable

Well, no need to use it, as I mainly bought it to include the Pandora information stuff that's missing since the new website is up.

However, the articles have quite a few advantages:

* No new account needed to post an article

* Same posting system as the boards (easier for some users)

* RSS Feeds per category can be subscribed for new articles

* Same website as the boards - which help when using the search command

* Users can simply create articles without having to take care to link to them from anywhere

* Very useful for stuff like reviews (both for the Pandora and games). The Wiki isn't suited for that

So, we don't have to do Tutorials or Info-Posts here, but for reviews (games and the Pandora itself), it's very useful.

The main issue is that not many casual users want to dive into the Wiki system to create some articles, so these articles would be lost.

A lot of them.would probably also not know where to create links to their contribution so that it can be easily found from the main page.

About the forum software:

No, sadly it's not possible to revert back.

Well, no need to use it, as I mainly bought it to include the Pandora information stuff that's missing since the new website is up.

However, the articles have quite a few advantages:

* No new account needed to post an article

* Same posting system as the boards (easier for some users)

* RSS Feeds per category can be subscribed for new articles

* Same website as the boards - which help when using the search command

* Users can simply create articles without having to take care to link to them from anywhere

* Very useful for stuff like reviews (both for the Pandora and games). The Wiki isn't suited for that

So, we don't have to do Tutorials or Info-Posts here, but for reviews (games and the Pandora itself), it's very useful.

The main issue is that not many casual users want to dive into the Wiki system to create some articles, so these articles would be lost.

A lot of them.would probably also not know where to create links to their contribution so that it can be easily found from the main page.
Hmm, but most of this is already possible with the "normal" board functions :huh: - nevermind

About the forum software:

No, sadly it's not possible to revert back.
too bad, btw. is it possible to delete likes I got for a post (*swinging my fist and yelling in DaMummys direction") ?

As it may be related to the new modifications of the forum i post here.

I noticed a space border left and right of the forum posts and view new content topic lists which is visible in the top header (with black background) too.

This adds additional line breaks to the topic lists and makes them difficult to read. The border have a thumbs width so two times that space is unused on the screen. I think it could have a negative effect on smartphone displays too.

Please revert to the old full width display.

As it may be related to the new modifications of the forum i post here.

I noticed a space border left and right of the forum posts and view new content topic lists which is visible in the top header (with black background) too.

This adds additional line breaks to the topic lists and makes them difficult to read. The border have a thumbs width so two times that space is unused on the screen. I think it could have a negative effect on smartphone displays too.

Please revert to the old full width display.
Could you please make a screenshot?

Everything looks fine here.

Could you please make a screenshot?
Sure. Attached. Red markers are the additional space.

I still have tabs open with the old style. Screen added.

Please use your supercow powers and remove the screenshots after viewing if the attachments can't be deleted by later edit. Never tried before.

screenshot.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot before.jpg

The link to the repo seems to be gone from the menu. Maybe "Emulation" shouldn't be a top-level menu, but a submenu of "Software", which could have a link to the repo, a link to the firmware images and community codec, and perhaps some page that tells you how to install PNDManager.

Hey guys,

question about the "article" feature:

I'd like to add two new articles about hardware hacks I did this weekend.

Q1: How about adding a sub category (under community articles) named "Hardware hacks"?

Q2: Can an already existing forum post easily be "converted" into an article, or can content of a forum post (including embedded images) easily be copied into a new article?

Q3: How to add pictures I have on disk to an article? I only see a feature to embed online images using their URL. But my pictures aren't online yet, and it won't make much sense to upload them to my own web space and embed those external images into the article. Then I found the link to "My Media" in the article editor header, which seems to allow selection of media for embedding, that has already been uploaded. Fine. But how can I upload my images before embedding them? I didn't find a way to do it. 

Please advise. Thank you :)

Q1: How about adding a sub category (under community articles) named "Hardware hacks"?
I can do that, but does it make sense as long as we don't have a lot of tutorials?

We can always move them later.

Q2: Can an already existing forum post easily be "converted" into an article, or can content of a forum post (including embedded images) easily be copied into a new article?
Yes, it's one click. 

Q3: How to add pictures I have on disk to an article? I only see a feature to embed online images using their URL. But my pictures aren't online yet, and it won't make much sense to upload them to my own web space and embed those external images into the article. Then I found the link to "My Media" in the article editor header, which seems to allow selection of media for embedding, that has already been uploaded. Fine. But how can I upload my images before embedding them? I didn't find a way to do it. 

Please advise. Thank you :)
Okay, I'll add an upload possibility when I find some time.

I can do that, but does it make sense as long as we don't have a lot of tutorials?

We can always move them later.
I will add two for now, then we have cube84's keyboard light (although it's distributed over several posts of his thread, so simply converting one post into an article won't work here), and I think we have several USB-related mods...?

Btw: Is the "articles" section accessible from anywhere else than the boards "community" menu yet? It's quite hidden there.

Yes, it's one click. 
Oh good. And where do I have to click? :) I searched intensively, but could not find such a button or link (or am I too tired?)

Okay, I'll add an upload possibility when I find some time.
Great, thanks!

My articles are prepared and the photos are ready for upload. So just let me know, and then I'll post the articles.

Back