New Firmware For Mid October?

bacteria posted on Sep 28 2006 at 01:10 AM said:
Yeah, on the subject of the LCD screens, it is interesting. My MKII screen is nicer. When I first got it I thought the screen was dark, but tilt it a few degrees and it becomes the right brightness. Very restricted viewing angle though.

On reflection, the screen on my mid GP2x (between first and second edition) has a really good screen. I really hope I don't break it doing my mod.
All the machines before the MK2 had the same LCD. Aside from the scanline issue which is mostly alleviated (for me anyway, not for everyone apparently) when set to 120FPS, I do like how it looks. Just not that it isn't really compatible with the MMSP2.. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Epicenter posted on Oct 7 2006 at 03:21 AM said:
Yeah, on the subject of the LCD screens, it is interesting. My MKII screen is nicer. When I first got it I thought the screen was dark, but tilt it a few degrees and it becomes the right brightness. Very restricted viewing angle though.

On reflection, the screen on my mid GP2x (between first and second edition) has a really good screen. I really hope I don't break it doing my mod.
All the machines before the MK2 had the same LCD. Aside from the scanline issue which is mostly alleviated (for me anyway, not for everyone apparently) when set to 120FPS, I do like how it looks. Just not that it isn't really compatible with the MMSP2.. :p
Am I the only one that loves scanlines?

Alvin posted on Oct 8 2006 at 07:51 AM said:
Epicenter posted on Oct 7 2006 at 03:21 AM said:

Am I the only one that loves scanlines?

No, I like them too. B)

It doesn't bother me that much really, at 120FPS it looks fine. But I know others who have massive problems my unit doesn't encounter like previous frames rotting between the scanlines on the display, insane flickering and so forth. These are problems resulting from issues in GPH's implementation of the display. When you learn the LCD is incompatible, you find a new one, and if you need more money to do it, you get an investor. Do they really need to pay someone to tell them how to make common-sense decisions like that? Because I'd take the job. :p

Epicenter posted on Oct 8 2006 at 09:45 PM said:
It doesn't bother me that much really, at 120FPS it looks fine. But I know others who have massive problems my unit doesn't encounter like previous frames rotting between the scanlines on the display, insane flickering and so forth. These are problems resulting from issues in GPH's implementation of the display. When you learn the LCD is incompatible, you find a new one, and if you need more money to do it, you get an investor. Do they really need to pay someone to tell them how to make common-sense decisions like that? Because I'd take the job. :p
Wow, 120Hz! That means that twice the bandwidth to the RAM is needed to fix a problem that should never have been! Do you see any actual performance hits in games between 60 and 120Hz?

MWeston posted on Oct 8 2006 at 10:57 PM said:
Wow, 120Hz! That means that twice the bandwidth to the RAM is needed to fix a problem that should never have been! Do you see any actual performance hits in games between 60 and 120Hz?
I haven't tried it on a non-vsync'ed application to obtain any real conclusive results, yet. In testing with my own 2D engine, the game framerate rises from 30 to 112 FPS and caps there, I can only assume it's a slight bug in the way I measure framerate reading '112' rather than '120', but since we do not have official documentation of the settings on the LCD slider, it could very well be 112! Whether system load increases at 112hz I cannot say, but surely more work is being done if not for RAM bandwidth reasons, for the simple fact that it's not sitting idle for as long between frames.

Back