New Gp2x 1.01--sound Suddenly Stopped Working...

CHiZZoPs

Still Fresh
I just got my unit from PlayAsia (on Christmas no less!!). I thought it would already have firmware 1.1 installed but came with 1.01 instead.

Well everything was peachy. I installed a bunch of groovy stuff on the sd card. Last night before bed I was playing UQ Masters. When I woke up this morning the sound suddenly wasn't working! I tried new batteries to no avail.

I tried plugging in headphones, which can't plug in all the way because the jack is recessed into the GP2X. I heard a snap, crackle, pop, and then when I pulled the headphones out, the speakers worked. I tried some small crap headphones and they fit all the way down into the jack, but when you push it all the way in, the sound stops. You actually have to pull it out a bit before the sound works...

Anyone lost sound like that?
What gives?

CHiZZoPs posted on Dec 26 2005 at 03:41 AM said:
I just got my unit from PlayAsia (on Christmas no less!!). I thought it would already have firmware 1.1 installed but came with 1.01 instead.

Well everything was peachy. I installed a bunch of groovy stuff on the sd card. Last night before bed I was playing UQ Masters. When I woke up this morning the sound suddenly wasn't working! I tried new batteries to no avail.

I tried plugging in headphones, which can't plug in all the way because the jack is recessed into the GP2X. I heard a snap, crackle, pop, and then when I pulled the headphones out, the speakers worked. I tried some small crap headphones and they fit all the way down into the jack, but when you push it all the way in, the sound stops. You actually have to pull it out a bit before the sound works...

Anyone lost sound like that?
What gives?

Dodgy headphone jack. Sounds like you can get it working though. So if everything else works you may want to keep it. You could exchange it and getone with a bad pixel or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may have set the volume to mute in the mp3 player. The volume is global, and some games (super methane brothers) cannot set it.

Try adjusting volume in the mp3 player to the max.

Also a nice trick if you need volume control in games that don't provide it, start a song, lower the volume, then start your game.

mth411 posted on Dec 26 2005 at 01:10 PM said:
You may have set the volume to mute in the mp3 player. The volume is global, and some games (super methane brothers) cannot set it.

Try adjusting volume in the mp3 player to the max.

Also a nice trick if you need volume control in games that don't provide it, start a song, lower the volume, then start your game.

Thanks guys. I'll keep playing with it and see how it goes. If it keeps doing it, I'll think about sending it back. Otherwise, even with the 1.01 firmware, I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

This happens to me too. I just pull the headphones out a bit like you did, and seems to work fine.
Is this 'damaged', because im quite fine with it.

if your hardware is faulty in any way you should really send it back andget a new one, its your right, dont just accept the fact thats its broken and think that you have to live with it because of what others say

not to hijack the thread but didn't the SNES emu used to have sound? I could swear I turned it on one day and it just didnt play sound anymore, granted it's a lot faster now, but I dont remember hearing that sound support had been removed. Also Gnuboy was supposed to have sound too but dosent seem to work on my system where as everything else does have sound.

It has a new asm core, which, ATM, does not support sound. You can start the old, slower core with button combo, R+ or something.

(The SNES thingy... I seem to recall the readme on NES emulator had those button combo's...)

Edit: Press either A or B to start the game.

Back